• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks vs Heat

99PROBL3MS

GABALLA this game was a perfect example of why the Hawks get clowned in the playoffs. They played dumb basketball. Just because they won doesn't change the fact that they played like idiots most of the game.

AND THE HEAT PLAYED LIKE A CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER!?? DON'T MAKE ME S*** MYSELF!!

We are looking at this game, THIS GAME!!!! You point out to me a list of negatives from the hawks and I can give you the same number of similar examples relevant to the heat. So what the Heat were holding back or something? HELL NO!! Both teams struggled, both teams had big plays, of course Miami would do better in the playoffs because they have LEBRON, WADE AND BOSH!!!!

Geez talk about an uneven comparison.

I done with this, there is no understanding to the MADNESS which is a "FAN"!

Edited by GABALLA

AND THE HEAT PLAYED LIKE A CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER!?? DON'T MAKE ME S*** MYSELF!!

We are looking at this game, THIS GAME!!!! You point out to me a list of negatives from the hawks and I can give you the same number of similar examples relevant to the heat. So what the Heat were holding back or something? HELL NO!! Both teams struggled, both teams had big plays, of course Miami would do better in the playoffs because they have LEBRON, WADE AND BOSH!!!!

Geez talk about an uneven comparison.

I done with this, there is no understanding to the MADNESS which is a "FAN"!

Speaking of madness why are you talking about the Heat? I don't care how they played I am talking about the Hawks. Just because the Heat played like idiots doesn't mean it is ok for the Hawks to do it. The Hawks have had the same group together for years. This is the Heats first season playing together. There is no excuse for the type of dumb basketball we saw tonight.

Smith started jacking up long jumpers from the tip which is exactly what Miami wanted. JJ went into his iso routing and took the team completely out of their offense. They took 31 three pointers even though they were off. That is not smart basketball which is why the guys in the studio were making fun of them.

Good job, everyone!

Now, may we never speak of this game again.

~lw3

LOL if this is what they will look like in the playoffs again......

Suicide_01.jpg

Good job, everyone!

Now, may we never speak of this game again.

~lw3

LOL lw3 :rolleyes: ...while it was fairly ugly game...it was against the Miami Heat and it was at their place. So that makes us one and one against MIA.

Our guys came out hustling like crazy. Most often, that means guys don't shoot as well. We did seem to wear ourselves out by mid-game, but we also wore them out a bit.

This was a playoff-type game...much different than the SAC lucky win when we weren't working at all early.

We gutted out a great win IMO and are 2-0 in the last two games - both were games that we could easily have lost. Personally, I'm pumped !! GO HAWKS.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

A mid-2000s Detroit Pistons-like win for us tonight.

When you play horribly on offense, you can at least keep yourself within striking distance by playing great defense. I personally like these kinds of games, rather than the 110 to 110 type games, because to win a game like tonight, you have to show an extreme amount of mental toughness. And the Hawks did just that tonight.

I'm sure that LebronCenter on ESPN has the excuses flowing already about the Heat's loss. They'd been reminding everyone all day that Bosh was "doubtful" and that Lebron would be a "game time decision" . . . like he was questionable to play.

Horford going down equalized the playing field. And the Heat were up 6 late in that 4th quarter. So they really don't have any excuses for not beating us.

And I disagree with Ex. If we DEFEND like we did tonight, in the playoffs, we're going to be in every game we play in. That in itself will give us a chance to pull a game out, regardless of what we're doing offensively.

I'd much rather see this team play stellar defense in the playoffs, than stellar offense.

When you play horribly on offense, you can at least keep yourself within striking distance by playing great defense. I personally like these kinds of games, rather than the 110 to 110 type games, because to win a game like tonight, you have to show an extreme amount of mental toughness. And the Hawks did just that tonight.

I'm sure that LebronCenter on ESPN has the excuses flowing already about the Heat's loss. They'd been reminding everyone all day that Bosh was "doubtful" and that Lebron would be a "game time decision" . . . like he was questionable to play.

Horford going down equalized the playing field. And the Heat were up 6 late in that 4th quarter. So they really don't have any excuses for not beating us.

And I disagree with Ex. If we DEFEND like we did tonight, in the playoffs, we're going to be in every game we play in. That in itself will give us a chance to pull a game out, regardless of what we're doing offensively.

I'd much rather see this team play stellar defense in the playoffs, than stellar offense.

The Hawks aren't going to suddenly become an elite defensive team. Did you forget the recent games that preceded this one? The Hawks are improved on D relative to last year but they aren't going to be an elite defensive team with Bibby and Jamal playing major roles. they don't have the personnel to be a top 5 defensive team.

and let's not forget that Miami played like idiots themselves settling for 3s well behind the line on critical possessions. Lebron attempted 10 threes which is ridiculous.

The Hawks do have the ability to play smart on offense they just don't do it in the playoffs and certainly didn't do it tonight.

Edited by exodus

Ah, North. Good to see you again. Don't see you posting here as much these days...

I agree with you in all of this, but Ex was making an additional point: We played like idiots pretty much the entire game (sans OT).

For instance:

Mo fouling LBJ at HALF COURT with 54 seconds left in the 4th Q while in the penalty, with the Hawks up 75-72, that resulting in LBJ hitting both freebies to bring them within one.

Late in the 4th Q with a little over 40 seconds remaining with us up 75-74, Joe (under no duress or defensive pressure) throws a wild azz pass/alley oop that soared well beyond his intended target for a turnover. LeBron intercepts the pass and puts them on top 77-75 with a driving finger roll AND-1.

Smoove shooting jumpers all game.

Hawks settling for too many jumpers instead of taking it inside more (especially Smoove).

And that is just to name a few. Yeah, THAT defense is what we need, the idiotic play we could do without.

• Premium Member

The Hawks aren't going to suddenly become an elite defensive team. Did you forget the recent games that preceded this one? The Hawks are improved on D relative to last year but they aren't going to be an elite defensive team with Bibby and Jamal playing major roles. they don't have the personnel to be a top 5 defensive team.

and let's not forget that Miami played like idiots themselves settling for 3s well behind the line on critical possessions. Lebron attempted 10 threes which is ridiculous.

The Hawks do have the ability to play smart on offense they just don't do it in the playoffs and certainly didn't do it tonight.

Well we are 11-3 over our last 14 with wins against Orlando at home and Miami and Utah on the road, so I think overall we have been playing pretty damn good basketball lately. Obviously the last three games have not been stellar, but our defense has been consistently very good lately, and great at times, so I'm feeling pretty good about the team right now.

Remember that the Hawks struggle defensively against big post players and high scoring pgs. Miami has neither. Even though i think they are better defensively this year I wouldn't get to caught up in the defense tonight.

Well we are 11-3 over our last 14 with wins against Orlando at home and Miami and Utah on the road, so I think overall we have been playing pretty damn good basketball lately. Obviously the last three games have not been stellar, but our defense has been consistently very good lately, and great at times, so I'm feeling pretty good about the team right now.

the Hawks played well in the regular season last year too.

• Premium Member

Remember that the Hawks struggle defensively against big post players and high scoring pgs. Miami has neither. Even though i think they are better defensively this year I wouldn't get to caught up in the defense tonight.

the Hawks played well in the regular season last year too.

This is true... but remember that Orlando was creaming us all throughout the season last year and they were the one match up every Hawks fan knew was going to get ugly. This year we are matching up better with them, and I think it would be a hell of a series if we meet them again . As far as other matchups go, the one matchup I think we're gonna have big trouble with is Celtics if their bigs are healthy. Other than that, from what I've seen this year, I like our chances against Orlando and Miami. As far as Chicago is concerned we'll see how we look against them pretty soon.

Edited by Atlantaholic

I loved Smoove's Defense on Lebron...you can't tell by Lebron's point total, but he took a ton of shots to get there. Isn't Lebron considered the toughest SF to guard?

feel the same way smith did great besides shooting

This is true... but remember that Orlando was creaming us all throughout the season last year and they were the one match up every Hawks fan knew was going to get ugly. This year we are matching up better with them, and I think it would be a hell of a series if we meet them again . As far as other matchups go, the one matchup I think we're gonna have big trouble with is Celtics if their bigs are healthy. Other than that, from what I've seen this year, I like our chances against Orlando and Miami. As far as Chicago is concerned we'll see how we look against them pretty soon.

Agreed holic...I think we have shown as cntenders against MIA so far. We've also beaten ORL.

I honestly don't think we are suddenly way behind CHI (as long as we are healthy on the front line)....Boston ???

Reaction from ESPN about the hawks on the game: "At times, they seem as though they've graduated to a more refined level of play, particularly when Horford is their fulcrum. At other times, the gears grind to a halt or there's a bizarre defensive lapse."

This pretty much sums up how I feel about them this season.

GABALLA this game was a perfect example of why the Hawks get clowned in the playoffs. They played dumb basketball. Just because they won doesn't change the fact that they played like idiots most of the game.

Damn! I'd hate to read your comments if you were a Cavalier fan. lol! Believeit or not, we're a game up on Orlando in the division and only 4 games behind the best team in the East(Boston). Not to mention we're moving the ball better, playing some pretty dang good defense, using the bench more, and we've had our best player(JJ), and our best role player,(Marvin) out for an extended amount of time. Stop hatin on the hometeam. Sure they're up and down, but most NBA teams are. I gotta give the guys and LD some props myself, because I Iaughed at the hire. But how much better would we really be had we went in another direction?(Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Avery, etc.......) And btw, NO WAY this Hawks team would get blown out in 4 str8 games vs Orlando like they did last year. I just cant see that happening. Hawks are sharing the ball this year, and not SWITCHING all the freakin time on defense trying to cover up Bibby. However, they need to stop shooting so many jumpshots. Not just Josh though. Everyone.

• Like 1

Damn! I'd hate to read your comments if you were a Cavalier fan. lol! Believeit or not, we're a game up on Orlando in the division and only 4 games behind the best team in the East(Boston). Not to mention we're moving the ball better, playing some pretty dang good defense, using the bench more, and we've had our best player(JJ), and our best role player,(Marvin) out for an extended amount of time. Stop hatin on the hometeam. Sure they're up and down, but most NBA teams are. I gotta give the guys and LD some props myself, because I Iaughed at the hire. But how much better would we really be had we went in another direction?(Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Avery, etc.......) And btw, NO WAY this Hawks team would get blown out in 4 str8 games vs Orlando like they did last year. I just cant see that happening. Hawks are sharing the ball this year, and not SWITCHING all the freakin time on defense trying to cover up Bibby. However, they need to stop shooting so many jumpshots. Not just Josh though. Everyone.

But will that happen in the playoffs? i didnt see a lot of ball sharing last night. What i saw was Smith jacking jumpers as soon as he touched the ball and JJ dribbling the time off the clock before forcing a shot or turning it over.

They won 53 games in the regular season last year. We already know they are a good team. If they want to win in the playoffs they are going to have to correct their mistakes from the past. Judging from what i saw last night they aren't doing that. Last night was the most frustrated I have been all year watching this team.

Another issue I have is that when they are on the fast break they are giving up chances to score layups/get to the foul line and passing out to 3 point shooters instead. I think passing out should be plan B on the break not plan A.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Maybe it is just me but after the first month of the season I'm not really seeing this motion offense any more. What I see is Al and Josh spending (a lot) more time at PF and SF respectively but the offense is still Iso Joe/Iso Craw pounding the rock while four guys spread out to try and give them room.

I see a few more picks and some more passing around the perimeter but no real fundamental change from Woodson's schemes. We still have zero inside game, we still have zero penetration unless its off a fast break and we still have the same questions as last year. Why does this team have the worst point guard situation in the NBA? Why are we unable to trade for a better center if we are going to play Horford a lot of minutes at PF? Why do we still have Iso Joe/Iso Craw when the playoffs show us EVERY YEAR that isolation heavy offenses flop like a fish?

I haven't seen anything that makes me think this team is capable of beating a Boston/Orlando/healthy Miami in a seven game series. Heck to be honest if we play a healthy Chicago in the playoffs I don't think we can beat them either.

I'm glad we won last night but that game is in some ways a microcosm of what our team still is. No inside game, Josh taking horrible jumper after horrible jumper, no penetration and Mike Bibby still being a sieve on defense that the opposing team can take to the paint any time they want.

• Like 2

Great win. I don't understand finding fault with the Hawks last night, especially when they took 15 more free throws than us. I always like to point to Hall of Fame Pedigree: The Heat arguably have 2 of the 50 Greatest players of All-Time, we have maybe 1 out of 200. Jamal sparked us as usual, Joe was clutch and is making a more conscious effort to drive to the rim and can get off the ground high enough for the double-pump move he's using effectively lately. The Josh dunk was epic of course. I sure wish Jamal had dunked on Wade, but great effort nonetheless. He's the one on our team who can try to match LeBron and Wade as far as forcing his will from the perimeter at crucial times. He just has that feel of when we need him to take charge for a few minutes. Sportscenter is so full of it it's a joke. It's all about what was wrong with the Heat. When they ran the score at the bottom of the screen immediately after the game, they only showed Wade and LeBron's line, like they won! Pathetic, biased coverage. We would've dominated them if Al and Bosh played I believe.

Quality win # 4. Let's Go.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Maybe it is just me but after the first month of the season I'm not really seeing this motion offense any more. What I see is Al and Josh spending (a lot) more time at PF and SF respectively but the offense is still Iso Joe/Iso Craw pounding the rock while four guys spread out to try and give them room.

I see a few more picks and some more passing around the perimeter but no real fundamental change from Woodson's schemes. We still have zero inside game, we still have zero penetration unless its off a fast break and we still have the same questions as last year. Why does this team have the worst point guard situation in the NBA? Why are we unable to trade for a better center if we are going to play Horford a lot of minutes at PF? Why do we still have Iso Joe/Iso Craw when the playoffs show us EVERY YEAR that isolation heavy offenses flop like a fish?

I haven't seen anything that makes me think this team is capable of beating a Boston/Orlando/healthy Miami in a seven game series. Heck to be honest if we play a healthy Chicago in the playoffs I don't think we can beat them either.

I'm glad we won last night but that game is in some ways a microcosm of what our team still is. No inside game, Josh taking horrible jumper after horrible jumper, no penetration and Mike Bibby still being a sieve on defense that the opposing team can take to the paint any time they want.

I think we have definite times where we go ISO.

But there's lots of movement and side to side motion in our game that was not there last year. We play a variant of Pick and roll with motion as our start. Joe has started to get really good at running this (aside from his errant pass last night). Another player who plays this really well is Damien. He is really good at finding the open guy off the pick. It's a shame that Teague hasn't come around yet. I think as we go farther, we will be more like Utah with our pickers rolling high and slashers moving through the lane. I just hate to see Bibby always laying the pick. That works better when you have big guards that can shoot.

Great win. I don't understand finding fault with the Hawks last night, especially when they took 15 more free throws than us. I always like to point to Hall of Fame Pedigree: The Heat arguably have 2 of the 50 Greatest players of All-Time, we have maybe 1 out of 200. Jamal sparked us as usual, Joe was clutch and is making a more conscious effort to drive to the rim and can get off the ground high enough for the double-pump move he's using effectively lately. The Josh dunk was epic of course. I sure wish Jamal had dunked on Wade, but great effort nonetheless. He's the one on our team who can try to match LeBron and Wade as far as forcing his will from the perimeter at crucial times. He just has that feel of when we need him to take charge for a few minutes. Sportscenter is so full of it it's a joke. It's all about what was wrong with the Heat. When they ran the score at the bottom of the screen immediately after the game, they only showed Wade and LeBron's line, like they won! Pathetic, biased coverage. We would've dominated them if Al and Bosh played I believe.

Quality win # 4. Let's Go.

we need more Jamal attacking the rim and less Smoove shooting Js. IF we had electroshock therapy everytime Smoove Shot a J, he'd be a beast. Kevin McHale was hilarious all night talking about Smoove. Last night I was so frustrated with Smoove and his lack of BBIQ, i was ready for Sund to trade him. Smoove for Bargnani wouldn't be so bad.