• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm starting to get what Ferry is doing now

GameTime

Right now there isn't much choice on putting Horford back at Center, sadly. And I agree that building a respectable team is a good thing, but let's be honest with this ownership that will be a hard history to erase. They would have to change, and I just don't see that happening. I am all for getting this team better, but the pain of watching this team never make it is starting to get to a level of pain that is unprecedented.

In all reality, you dont win in the NBA by drafting. You win it in Free Agency. Right now no one wants to come here because we are seen as a joke. Like someone said, Ferry is trying to build a respectable franchise. 2-3 years from now who is to say Kyrie Irving or John Wall wont come down? Or Klay Thompson/Curry/Barnes?

Our best bet isnt tanking. Our best bet is to build something respectable and attract players in the future.

Oh and trades. Millsap and Korver will be mighty nice bait if nothing else.

That would be me good sir Posted Image

One thing everyone should look at is the larger picture of how Ferry is attempting to run this franchise. We were more than just a team stuck in mediocrity...we were (and still pretty much are) a laughing stock to the rest of the league. By having a solid foundation with a GM and expanding outward we will eventually show the rest of the league that we are ready for a A-level player even though it feels like we are in the same situation as last year.

Personally, I hope we get Lin and Asik for Smoove via sign-and-trade and then sign-and-trade Teague to a team like the Bucks for a 1st round pick + filler/whatever. That way we not only have a deep team but people will automatically become fans due to Linsanity and we can get some outside interest in this franchise.

• Like 1

I just don't see this team getting any better in the near future and we aren't getting much worse either. I can't say I am surprised at all, but it's frustrating to see the same old dance time after time.

• Like 1

In all reality, you dont win in the NBA by drafting. You win it in Free Agency. Right now no one wants to come here because we are seen as a joke. Like someone said, Ferry is trying to build a respectable franchise. 2-3 years from now who is to say Kyrie Irving or John Wall wont come down? Or Klay Thompson/Curry/Barnes?

Our best bet isnt tanking. Our best bet is to build something respectable and attract players in the future.

Oh and trades. Millsap and Korver will be mighty nice bait if nothing else.

This team has made 6 playoff appearances in a row. One or two more isn't likely to make a big difference.

Wasn't Durant, Westbrook and Harden drafted? What about Dwight in Orlando? Or Duncan in SA?

Utah South.

Next thing you know, we will be getting Mark Eden.

Horford is better than anything Utah has had since Malone. Ferry is getting assets and making sure they are not only productive but also keeping them on contracts that make them valuable.

Build around your best player and lets see what can be done over the next two seasons. The quick fix was D12, get over it and lets root for Al's team now!

Edited by Buzzard

i am not that quite sure about that.

Here is a theory of mine, these moves was made for a reason, it is a check and balance. For one, sure that Milsap and DMC isn't sexy names that is going to bring in the gate but their contacts and their play style is a different story all together. Sure its hard to see the value now but Al does have three years left on his existed deal right?

For Hawks fans, its a pain that our team cant get better or just continue to be a middling team. I think i see it now, We use FA to bring in guys that isn't household names but they are the ones that can get the job done and guys is willing to be part of the team. Other teams will see it and since they isnt going to be pay out alot of money. They can be use a trade assets as well. So they can bring double value to this team. Also we do have a rookie HC as well, so its better to have a squad that he can mold in his own image. It's hard but I willing to stick it out, besides we not ready to knock off the elite of the East yet but we are changing.

• Moderators

Remember that list of Rose, Carmelo, Durant, Dwight, who are the supposed failures?Let's compare number of Conference Finals and NBA Finals appearances with the entire history of the Hawks during their years in Atlanta. Now let's talk about Millsap's trade value. Does anyone else remember Utah shopping him and eventually getting nothing worth as much as a chance at an 8th playoff seed and letting him walk for nothing? I don't want to read about acquiring assets to be traded for pieces later when we are staring at the best collection of lottery talent since the Lebron, Wade, Bosh, et al. draft. If the goal is acquiring future assets, signing Millsap is the equivalent of passing on a car to jump on a tricycle. So that reduces us to win now and maintain flexibility for the future. For win now, this team's peak is a second round appearance and the floor is bottom of the lottery. I guess that leaves us as the new Houston Rockets trying to deal for every star that is potentially available (Gasol, etc.) and hoping someone decides to drop a Harden type player because they have drafted so many young studs that they are ok dumping the one they feel is the least valuable or trying to pull a Miami where we unload movable players to sign FA stars.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This team has made 6 playoff appearances in a row. One or two more isn't likely to make a big difference.

Wasn't Durant, Westbrook and Harden drafted? What about Dwight in Orlando? Or Duncan in SA?

That's what is cracking me up with this nonsense of "Ferry needs 2-3 years of making the playoffs THEN the free agents will come here, just wait and see!"

LOL we've made the playoff SIX YEARS in a row and we are STILL a laughing stock. Two or three more meaningless playoff "runs" of first or second round exits will change nothing.

And apparently people forget there is a draft where superstar players can be drafted. I guess teams just have superstars fall out of the sky and no team drafts seriously.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Say what? At least we don't have to see Chuck McChuckerson throwing up ill-advised 3's all season long. That itself is a HUGE relief!

That is literally the only happiness I have for next season. And thanks for using the pet name I came up with for Josh er Chuck.

• Premium Member

I don't think it's fair to say we're a laughingstock... at all. All things considered, DH made what was the most reasonable choice at this point in his career... a better cast around him than what LA, DAL or we could provide, and financially, the state tax situation made that part much more palatable.

• Like 1

Yeah, it is looking like the same ol crap right now. I'd rather let Teague walk and start the rookies. Why sign Milsap? Haven't they heard Al's moaning about playing the 5 (even though he's as big as 5's in today's NBA)?

I just don't see this team getting any better in the near future and we aren't getting much worse either. I can't say I am surprised at all, but it's frustrating to see the same old dance time after time.

Well if we do end up back on the old mediocrity treadmill...at least we can take comfort in that this time it will be due to DF's "advanced statistical analysis" instead of dumb ole BK just "flying by the seat of his pants".

• Like 2

Well if we do end up back on the old mediocrity treadmill...at least we can take comfort in that this time it will be due to DF's "advanced statistical analysis" instead of dumb ole BK just "flying by the seat of his pants".

I'd rather fail by playing smart, efficient basketball than fail because I'm trying to outsmart the league with an all 6'9 lineup lol
  • Like 2

I don't want to fail because we can't put points on the board at all. Again, I love the D, but man this team is lacking scoring big time. At this point I just want us to be able to fill the roster. I am getting to the point where I am not sure we can do that without some D league players. I almost feel like we are quickly becoming the Major League Indians (movie).

He's surrounding Al with hard-working, smart guys and Im guessing he's optimistic about Jenkins' improvement, Lou possibly having his best season to date, and Kyle staying near the top of the league in threes. The wild card is what Schröder's gives us, if anything, next year.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

All this Ferry hate and Hawk negativity is cracking me up. Y'all act like contenders happen overnight. I don't see Cuban's Mavs tanking. I didn't see the Bulls tank before Rose (won 33 games that year and they became great once Thibs took over). I didn't see the Rockets tank before they got Harden and Dwight. While I do see perennial lotto teams like Sacramento, Charlotte, and Washington continue to be perennial lotto teams. Seriously, this is Danny's second year as GM and I don't see big name's lining up to sign with these perennial lotto teams either. Al Jefferson went to Charlotte and Smoove went to Detroit for the money. If you want stars to sign with you and stay on your team, you have got to stay competitive. Being a basement team is just bad basketball and culture. The way the Hawks will make a contender is a mixture of what Memphis, OKC, and Houston has done.

• Like 2

All this Ferry hate and Hawk negativity is cracking me up. Y'all act like contenders happen overnight. I don't see Cuban's Mavs tanking. I didn't see the Bulls tank before Rose (won 33 games that year and they became great once Thibs took over). I didn't see the Rockets tank before they got Harden and Dwight. While I do see perennial lotto teams like Sacramento, Charlotte, and Washington continue to be perennial lotto teams. Seriously, this is Danny's second year as GM and I don't see big name's lining up to sign with these perennial lotto teams either. Al Jefferson went to Charlotte and Smoove went to Detroit for the money. If you want stars to sign with you and stay on your team, you have got to stay competitive. Being a basement team is just bad basketball and culture. The way the Hawks will make a contender is a mixture of what Memphis, OKC, and Houston has done.

Agreed. The late 2000s Thunder and the modern day Cavaliers are exampled of teams that have successfully tanked, but if they didn't hit home runs on all their draft picks, they would be looking like those perennial lotto teams you mentioned. The Cavs also have the wild card of possibly bringing LeBron back.

To contend, the Hawks will have to build like the Grizzlies or Pacers. Make smart signings and create an identity of toughness.