• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford is fine remaining at center

HawkItus

Horford is fine remaining at center 

•  0  0  21  24

By Chris Vivlamore

ATHENS — There was an interesting tidbit from my interview with Al Horford Tuesday after the Hawks opened training camp on the campus of the University of Georgia. As a final question, Horford was asked – one more time – about playing center another season as he returns from a torn pectoral muscle. The 6-foot-10 Horford has played the position all seven seasons in the NBA although many, including Horford, have thought a move to power forward would be beneficial.

horford1.jpg?w=207&h=300

Al Horford is returning from a torn right pectoral muscle that limited him to 29 games last season. (AJC File)

“The league is changing so much and we are playing at a faster pace,” Horford said. “In this offense, the way I look at it, the 4 and the 5 are very interchangeable. Paul (Millsap) and I can both play inside and out. It works here. Before it might not have worked but here it works.”

Remember before the 2013 draft, ahead his first season under Mike Budenholzer, Horford was asked by a national publication who the Hawks should take with their two first-round picks. He selected centers with both choices.

A season, such as it was after being cut to just 29 games, in Budenholzer’s system seems to have changed the perspective of Horford. All the team’s big men with the exception of Elton Brand can stretch the floor. The term stretch-5 is becoming a buzzword in the NBA, with Horford, Millsap, Pero Antić and Mike Muscala capable of shooting from beyond the 3-point line.

Budenholzer used the word versatile several times in referring to Horford, who can play both near and away from the basket.

* Day 2 of training camp begins later this morning. I understand there were issues posting to the blog yesterday. I apologize. Those issues have been resolved. It also affected me from posting stories for a few hours. Here is a recap from Day 1 of training camp:

Horford using latest injury to examine game

Jeff Teague sporting goggles during camp

Most of Hawks arrived early in advance of camp

Defense is the priority of this camp

SportSouth to broadcast 75 games

* I’m still going through all my interviews from Monday’s media day and will have more during the first week of camp from all 17 players and Budenholzer. There were several light moments during the sessions that often focused on the turmoil that has engulfed the franchise the past month. My favorite came from Dennis Schröder. The point guard, entering his second season, if there is anything noticeable about his game after adding seven or eight pounds during the summer.

“I have to show that I can dunk because they put me on 2K and I can’t dunk,” joked Schröder about the video game NBA 2K15.

* Return later this afternoon for updates from training camp.

• Moderators

You beat me to it.   Well apparently Horford is just an idiot who doesn't understand the enormous toll this is taking on his body and how playing center is responsible for his injuries.  Oh and how we can never win because he's undersized and we'll always get abused by Dwight and Wilt...no wait not Wilt, I mean Shaq, no...umm, Hibbert!  Right Hibbert.  HIbbert will dominate us.  Man, Horford sure doesn't know basketball very well.  no.gif 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

You beat me to it.   Well apparently Horford is just an idiot who doesn't understand the enormous toll this is taking on his body and how playing center is responsible for his injuries.  Oh and how we can never win because he's undersized and we'll always get abused by Dwight and Wilt...no wait not Wilt, I mean Shaq, no...umm, Hibbert!  Right Hibbert.  HIbbert will dominate us.  Man, Horford sure doesn't know basketball very well.  no.gif 

LOL!

It works on offense... Defense is more of my concern... Are we gonna be like the Falcons? Just hope we can outscore every team?

Defense isn't the problem! I said this before horford hardly ever defends a scoring center because there aren't many only about a handful or slightly more.

Defense was the problem against certain scoring centers but 90 percent of the time the real problem is positioning for rebounds!

Sap/horford combo gives us everything except tons of rebounding...this can be fixed if the whole team becomes more focused on grabbing boards.

• Like 3

I agree that it was something of an annoying topic. Horford can play the 5 without many problems. Would he look great next to a mobile, rim protecting, 7' beast- sure, but who wouldn't?

Let's hope Al is healthy for all of the upcoming season and that he gives us the production he seems capable of 18ppg and 10 rebounds. 

• Moderators

Defense isn't the problem! I said this before horford hardly ever defends a scoring center because there aren't many only about a handful or slightly more.

Defense was the problem against certain scoring centers but 90 percent of the time the real problem is positioning for rebounds!

Sap/horford combo gives us everything except tons of rebounding...this can be fixed if the whole team becomes more focused on grabbing boards.

I agree with this except for the part about rebounding needing to be team focused.  I would argue that it is already a team priority as guys like Mack, Korver, and Teague all are good rebounders for there size.  Rebounding is majorly of the frontcourts responsibility and if they are having positioning problems, then the whole team is going to struggle rebounding the ball.  It's not just a switch that can be turned on to fix this problem.  A concerted effort would help, but until we get an actual center that plants his butt in the post and can defend centers, we will have these rebounding and positioning issues and just having a guy on the bench that can rebound (like in the past with Zaza, J-Co, and Elton) isn't good enough.  Hell, both of Horford's injury happened due to him fighting bigger centers for rebounds (Hibbert and Varejao).

I agree with this except for the part about rebounding needing to be team focused.  I would argue that it is already a team priority as guys like Mack, Korver, and Teague all are good rebounders for there size.  Rebounding is majorly of the frontcourts responsibility and if they are having positioning problems, then the whole team is going to struggle rebounding the ball.  It's not just a switch that can be turned on to fix this problem.  A concerted effort would help, but until we get an actual center that plants his butt in the post and can defend centers, we will have these rebounding and positioning issues and just having a guy on the bench that can rebound (like in the past with Zaza, J-Co, and Elton) isn't good enough.  Hell, both of Horford's injury happened due to him fighting bigger centers for rebounds (Hibbert and Varejao).

He was not fighting Varejao for a rebound.  He was defending an inbounds pass near halfcourt and reached over the top of Varejao in an effort to deflect the pass. 

I have no video evidence and do not remember the play when the first injury occurred so I can't speak on whether you are correct on that one.

Edited by JETSET

Some people that are 5"7, 350 are fine with it also. Does it make them healthy?

If this was true, string bean centers like Camby and Chandler wouldn't have had 10+ year careers while defending people much heavier and stronger than them.  Horford is far stronger than either of these guys.

No it can't be fixed by simply telling everyone else to rebound more. If that were the case, all we had to do last year was to tell people to rebound better.

Rebounding is about positioning, desire, toughness, and smarts. Positioning you can coach up. The other 3 attributes are normally internal player traits, with desire being the most important attribute of them all. The great rebounders all wanted to go after that ball and get it ... at all costs.

As good as a Horford - Millsap frontcourt is ... a Horford - DeAndre Jordan frontcourt could be dynamic, and turn Horford into an elite PF.

Jeff is a terrible rebounder for both size and position, he's amongst the bottom 10 of all rotation Gs in the league in rebound rate.  Shelvin and Kyle are a minuscule amount above average themselves

http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerGeneral.html?ls=iref%3Anba%3Agnav&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=100&columnOrder=&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=PerGame&filters=MIN*GE*15&PlayerPosition=G&sortField=REB_PCT&sortOrder=ASC

As to Horf hurting himself because he played Center?  You can put that to rest too

Surgery revealed scar tissue in Horford’s right pectoral. He said doctors believe the tear was a result of his weightlifting workouts from his college days and he has since changed his technique. He no long works on his upper body with bench presses and overhead lifts, concentrating now on his core and legs more than his upper body.

From CViv via http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2014/oct/01/atlanta-hawks8217-al-horford-using-latest-injury/?sports

So uhm, ya.  There's no excuse for the Hawks starting Center to stop playing Center.

• Like 1

No it can't be fixed by simply telling everyone else to rebound more. If that were the case, all we had to do last year was to tell people to rebound better.

Rebounding is about positioning, desire, toughness, and smarts. Positioning you can coach up. The other 3 attributes are normally internal player traits, with desire being the most important attribute of them all. The great rebounders all wanted to go after that ball and get it ... at all costs.

As good as a Horford - Millsap frontcourt is ... a Horford - DeAndre Jordan frontcourt could be dynamic, and turn Horford into an elite PF.

I didn't mean for it to sound like it's just simple to do. But I don't believe the whole team is focused on rebounding like a team like the pacers where last year