• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Jazz

lethalweapon3

18 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The bench wings have been better than the starters dating back to last season yet we are going to ride these 2 until the wheels fall off. Who would have thought that when Kyle was traded here under Drew that 5 years later he'd still be a starter and "too good" to take out the lineup or that when we signed Baze fresh off of the horrible Lakers bench that he'd cost more money yet still be here over DeMarre.

ding dong ding dong

Maaaaaaan what can you say about this game..

PG: Did you guys recognize that Dennis has good 1st quarter most of the times followed by a really bad second quarter? I don't know why he completely lost his touch in the second quarter yet again. And gosh I hate those sloppy lob passes into the box. Delaney had a bad night but seems way more consistent.

SG: Kyle is and always will be a non factor. You can't give him the ball. He'll either - pass it directly to another player (50% turnover)            - takes the shot (always contested due to him being too slow)                  - jumps, fakes and just throws it randomly into the backcourt and hopes for the pg to grab it. About THJ: I'm mad at coach for limiting him instead of kyle for prince' minutes. Confidence wasn't there.

SF: Kent. Is. Too. Wild. How often did he fall for Haywards pump fake and went for the monster block? Always takes the worst shots. He runs right into the crowd and tries to somehow lay it in against 3 bigger guys. Prince had nice threes and I like what I see with him.

PF: Millsap wasn't really part of the game. He should demand the ball more in such games cause he's the only one who can shoot fadeaway twos and go one on one. Moose with a bad shooting night. 

C: Howard complete no show. If he can't grab a rebound he's worth nothing. His hook shot is the worst thing ever. Did he hit one so far this season? Bad Perimeter D as usual. He has to grab boards and get the opposing big into foul trouble. That's his job. 

Bud has to adjust the rotation. THJ should at least get half the minutes on SG and honestly if you want consistently strong d from baze you gotta play him on the 2 too. In what world should he be able to defend a 3 like hayward? 

Dennis took so many shots because thats what Quin Snyder gave us, knowing Dennis is off in many ways lately. Only normal he took them. I didnt see bad shots from him, outside maybe 1 or 2.  Shame on him though that he didnt make more of those high percentage shots.

4 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

Baze is pressing. He'll be fine.  I'm starting to think that Korver and Howard can't play together.

Before the season I thought Dwight would help Kyle out by creating more space for him but there's a lot more to it than just his shots and there hasn't been any consistent chemistry there. 

• Like 1

vor 4 Minuten, Thomas sagte:

Before the season I thought Dwight would help Kyle out by creating more space for him but there's a lot more to it than just his shots and there hasn't been any good chemistry there. 

Yeah, there definitly is work to be done all over. I think its time to stop experimenting on forcefeeding Howard and work on sharpening his pick-setting toolbox. You often see allot of willingness early in these bad games to swing the ball, but those efforts are often going nowhere once Baze and Korver run in to bad spots without help. Howard would be so much more valuable imo in a more humble role, setting picks, rolling to the basket and grabbing rebounds. As much as I like him, I just dont see him having very good hands even if the pass towards him is not a TO, he often fumbles the ball or makes odd looking moves. There isnt a high percentage play going on there.

Force feed D8 in the post.  When it doesn't work, do it again and again.  Lob the

ball up to D8 when there are three 7 foot defenders surrounding him and watch

them take the ball away.  Didn't work, so try it again.  Gotta get him involved.

Be stubborn, hard headed even, about who starts, who plays with who and who

can't be allowed off the bench.

Forget about the idea of a team sport.  It's me, me, me.  If I can't get my shot

to fall, next time I'll force it.

Here of late, we certainly have lived up to our slogan for this season:

OUR OWN LOTTERY BOUND ATLANTA HAWKS !!

:banghead:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

I'm starting to think that Korver and Howard can't play together.

You're close, but its not that. Its more Korver misses Horford the most on the team. Yes, more than Schröder. Horford was Korver's everything, his defensive abilities with aggressive trapping and blitzing of the PNR helped hide him on defense and his great screen setting helped get him free better in a half court setting. Korver-Howard together would have been better....about five years ago.

With Howard instead of Horford, Korver is looking even more washed up than last year, which had the injury. Korver's done as a half court scorer and player that has significant effect on a lot of things without a great screener so they should look for him in transition, but the starting lineup isn't even really trying to run much off stops.

If the Hawks aren't going to start trying to run more, they need to remove both Korver and Bazemore from the starting lineup.

This is actually the first game in which I think no Horford made a significant difference. Young and athletic centers are going to bother Howard a lot. Not to say that Horford wouldn't have also been bothered, but he at least could've pulled Gobert out from the rim. Howard does nothing to make Gobert uncomfortable.

Not saying its a winning or losing difference however but it wouldn't have been a major blowout. It would have probably been a 5-10 point loss.

• Like 1

Tough way to lose to a good Jazz team. We just didn't have anything last night. I can't believe I was thinking that Diaw would be an excellent fit for us and that we should pry him loose off the Jazz. I promised myself I'd never want Diaw after 2005...lol.

Dwight, SAP, Korver...nobody showed up last night but it's an 82 game season and you are bound to come out flat a few nights. The key is that we bounce back tomorrow night in LA and get some revenge on the Lakers.

GO HAWKS!!!!

As evening approaches, the sun sinks slowly in the west.

If Atlanta doesn't awaken from their sleepwalk,

you can forget the slowly sinking part.  With heavy storm clouds,

darkness comes early.

Hawks must wake up or sober up or something.  This is inane.

2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

As evening approaches, the sun sinks slowly in the west.

If Atlanta doesn't awaken from their sleepwalk,

you can forget the slowly sinking part.  With heavy storm clouds,

darkness comes early.

Hawks must wake up or sober up or something.  This is inane.

Look for us to beat the Lakers by 20+..it's the way the Hawks have bounced back in recent years. Hope it continues.

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

You're close, but its not that. Its more Korver misses Horford the most on the team. Yes, more than Schröder. Horford was Korver's everything, his defensive abilities with aggressive trapping and blitzing of the PNR helped hide him on defense and his great screen setting helped get him free better in a half court setting. Korver-Howard together would have been better....about five years ago.

With Howard instead of Horford, Korver is looking even more washed up than last year, which had the injury. Korver's done as a half court scorer and player that has significant effect on a lot of things without a great screener so they should look for him in transition, but the starting lineup isn't even really trying to run much off stops.

If the Hawks aren't going to start trying to run more, they need to remove both Korver and Bazemore from the starting lineup.

This is actually the first game in which I think no Horford made a significant difference. Young and athletic centers are going to bother Howard a lot. Not to say that Horford wouldn't have also been bothered, but he at least could've pulled Gobert out from the rim. Howard does nothing to make Gobert uncomfortable.

Not saying its a winning or losing difference however but it wouldn't have been a major blowout. It would have probably been a 5-10 point loss.

This. Lurker, you are being an elite poster. Everything you have said this season has been 100% on point and unlike me, no one can claim you are just an Al lover as you never liked him either.

20 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

When you play 27-30 minutes and only score 8 points what does it matter what percentage you shoot?

When you're the point guard, and shoot 6 for 19, with two assists and two turnovers, how big of a waste of minutes is that?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, terrell said:

We finally get a "true" center, But now our pg and wings suck..Only in Atlanta......But dont worry, we'll find some good guards when Dwight is ready to retire. smh

We needEd Dwight and Al not one or the other. Millsap doesn't really do anything significant for us to win games. He doesn't make anyone better. He is a very good player but he doesn't make others better. He's our DeRozan.

20 hours ago, Lurker said:

Every game on this roadtrip needs to be a 30-50 point blowout. Knock some sense into Budenholzer. But even if it is, he'd likely just remove Bazemore from the starting lineup when we all know well and good what the real issue is.

There are quite a few "real issues."   Schröder, Baze, Korver, Delaney, THJ on many nights, and Moose on many nights.  Dwight is only good on offense if he gets passed to, and when you don't move without the ball, it's hard to get passed to.  Schröder thinks throwing a baseball pass at the backboard as hard as he can is a good way to set Dwight up.  I don't see how we can be so good at times, and so lousy at others.