• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Magic at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

The nets! The nets! The nets are on FIYAH!

Welp! You can't get away from Budball defensively and just assume a bad opponent will stay bad for you.

Way too many fastbreak points, points off TOs, lackadaisical halfcourt D. But hey, we killed on the rebounds! It's what we've always wanted. Woop woop!

If I was living in Orlando and on the verge of getting traded to Minnesota or Philly in December, heck, I'd morph into Rick Barry, too!

So, the Magic, 29th in O-Rating, racks up 131 points after the Hawks get a few days off. Ah, well. Gee, I wonder who ranks 1st in O-Rating...

Oh. On to Toronto!

~lw3

• Like 1

A team that barely scores 95 ppg had over 70 at the half smh. This team has not defended well in a while. No reason the Magic should have been able to score so easily.

The turnovers continue to be a problem

Sap just cannot defend stretch 4's. I dont know what it is but he struggles defending stretch 4's. They always get clean looks when he is matched up on them.

Moose has really come back down to earth after that nice start. Dude still gets pushed around with ease

I have seen enough of Delaney. Seems like most teams have a solid back up pg but us. Can we please get another pg in here to back up Dennis

We just dont have a good team folks

• Like 2

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Defense??

With how we are playing i am starting to believe Barkley 

What's funny is we're proving Chuckles wrong.

He hates jump-shooting teams. He LOVES rebounding teams. He wasn't the Round Mound of Shots From Downtown. We're becoming the antithesis of what Charles loathed, and we're watching Serge Ibaka go Infinity-for-Infinity to beat us.

~lw3

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lurker said:

THANK YOU!

It sometimes is as simple as this. Once Bud went to Kent/Kyle/Moose lineups or even just Kent/Kyle, they were flat out toast defensively. And sometimes its about confidence in this game. They really got going when they were in together in the first half.

In the second half they locked down defensively until Moose came in, then those wings and cha ching! Orlando had another run. Their eyes grew wide with them in, knowing they could get whatever they wanted.

Yeah I noticed how atrocious Kent/Kyle/Moose was in the 2nd half.  Add to that Delaney, who guys drive past at will and we're setup for disaster on defense. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It's time for Millsap to go. Not just because of his defense, but he is showing decline on offense.

It's easy when Al create space for you but now you gotta do work and it's hard. The shooting is atrocious from this squad. The PnR defense is even worse. Honestly, I am starting to think Dennis is our best player. 

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's easy when Al create space for you but now you gotta do work and it's hard. The shooting is atrocious from this squad. The PnR defense is even worse. Honestly, I am starting to think Dennis is our best player. 

It's the attitude also. Sap has had a terrible attitude all season it seems like. I do think he is pissed that the Hawks possibly tried to trade him in the off season. 

But of course it's going to be easier for Sap when the spacing is better, but its not just that.... His outside shot was pretty good during the 60 win season, but it regressed last year and it has regressed even more this year, His first two years he hit around 36% in 3's, but that dropped to just under 32% last year and now 30% this year. He isn't the outside threat he was a few years ago. It started last year and it has gotten worse this year. This year he is about at Josh Smith level as an offensive player.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It's the attitude also. Sap has had a terrible attitude all season it seems like. I do think he is pissed that the Hawks possibly tried to trade him in the off season. 

But of course it's going to be easier for Sap when the spacing is better, but its not just that.... His outside shot was pretty good during the 60 win season, but it regressed last year and it has regressed even more this year, His first two years he hit around 36% in 3's, but that dropped to just under 32% last year and now 30% this year. He isn't the outside threat he was a few years ago. It started last year and it has gotten worse this year. This year he is about at Josh Smith level as an offensive player.

He isn't but he still is a threat. Watching him tonight, he has limited space to operate in. Less than everyone else. Teams try to cut his drives off constantly. No one else even bothers the defense. Hell, Thabo was eating from that alone tonight. 

• Like 1

How can you watch Millsap and Howard this game and complain about offensive production of all things. The team shot 50 percent and outrebounded them 45-28. 

Once Korver came in the light came on for the Orlando offense. I knew his +/- were going to be bad during the game but not -24 bad. 

How long can you go with inefficient offense from Hardaway and Bazemore. They are not even plus defenders or rebounders to help offset. The talent at SG needs an overhaul real bad.  

Recently watched the highlights for Payton. Let me correct myself.

Dennis had three bad individual plays against him for the whole game, one where he just wasn't paying attention when he brought the ball up (and he was mad at himself for it). The other two he was bad in what was not his strength, off ball defense.

The rest of the night the comedy here goes on both Millsap and Muscala when they were in with Dennis. Dennis mostly stayed with Payton, yet they were *helping*. This was an awful idea. They needed to make Payton prove he could finish with Dennis on him before they helped.

And I'll reiterate it, Payton mostly got his confidence going on Delaney in the first half.

• Like 4

This loss was troubling. I'm sorry but you need to beat down the Magic at home after 2 days rest. This is on everybody...Bud, Sap, Dwight, Dennis everybody. I don't care about the stinking stats just make the ball dance on offense and play for one another on defense.

If this keeps up we are going to have to make some changes. Usually after teams experience these kinds of losses it's more than just X's and O's. 

We might lose by triple triple digits in Toronto. This is the most I've been concerned in about 3 years. 

Well, at least a couple of starters showed up for us but no one else. We made it a game a couple of times but they weren't fielding their center and we allowed Payton to look All World. On a good night he's a mere mortal. Like everyone is saying the defense is just flat gone. Jeez. 

9 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Rookie players Hawks drafted, bench bound until it was over with.

And Baze and Kyle combined for over forty minutes and caused unending damage to us on the defensive end. Prince has to be wondering how bad does the D have to be at the  wings for him to get any minutes.

• Like 1