• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Rockets

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

That was some crazy stuff.   Great game by Dwight, Tim, and Bembry.   Everyone else kind of sucked.   I don't know how the Rockets have won so many games.   They don't play D and made just really stupid plays in this one.   How about the inbound pass to no one late in the fourth?   

Between Bembry and Prince I sure didn't expect Bembry to be the one to crack the rotation but it sure seems that way.   I'm concerned about Dennis' play of late though.   He's in a slump to be sure.   Delaney shooting 1-10 is concerning too.

But Hardaway has to move into the starting rotation.   He will have bad shooting nights because he's streaky but he can handle the ball and get to the hole.   He's far and away our best wing.   Not even close.   Play the man.   

• Like 1

• Moderators

First off, props to THJr, Dwight and Bembry for kicking tail and winning that game yesterday.  Went to bed pretty pumped after a long day of document review and blowing my nose (cold).  

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

See, to me, the refs should no-call the lunges/flops.  Unfortunately, if they do, they'll get graded down because technically there was contact and it could've been defined as a 'foul'.  There has to be a better way to "grade" refs.  They're trying to make it black-and-white but a large percentage of what refs do is art, not science especially foul-calling.

(1)  I don't think they really should be calling those and they shouldn't be downgraded for not calling them when the contact is initiated by him and the not the defender or when it is minimal and greatly exaggerated (lunges and flops).  In other words, I think the correct (for purposes of ref review call) on those lungers and flops is a no call.  (The other correct thing is slapping him with a flop fine which should be something done more regularly, imo, across the whole NBA and not just for Harden).

(2)  If you assume that they should be called as fouls, the issue is they should be fouls for everyone and not just for Harden and few other pampered stars.  Your comment about refs turning into robots rings hollow to me on this point.  Robots would see the same level of contact and make the same call every time.  Refs now make the call for Harden but don't give Bembry the same call and that is the opposite of being a robot.  I will take robots because they are consistent and fair and players and teams can adjust to that.  There is no adjusting to refs calling every brush on Harden but no making the same call when Sap receives the same contact.

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

How about the inbound pass to no one late in the fourth?   

For a tenth of a second after that inbounds pass I thought Bembry might steal it and have his momentum carry him over the half court line and they'd call over n back...thank God he allowed Baze to get it..Baze was already in the backcourt so he just grabbed it and dribbled it up...not sure if Bembry thought about that in the split second or Baze was just closer and called him off. If Bembry actually thought about that, then his bball IQ is off the charts. 

By the way, that tenth of a second lasted about a minute in my mind as I thought..this backcourt violation can only happen to us and now Hardon (yes the spelling is correct) will nail a 3 on us and we will end up losing.

Mentality of a long time Hawks fan I guess.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

First off, props to THJr, Dwight and Bembry for kicking tail and winning that game yesterday.  Went to bed pretty pumped after a long day of document review and blowing my nose (cold).  

(1)  I don't think they really should be calling those and they shouldn't be downgraded for not calling them when the contact is initiated by him and the not the defender or when it is minimal and greatly exaggerated (lunges and flops).  In other words, I think the correct (for purposes of ref review call) on those lungers and flops is a no call.  (The other correct thing is slapping him with a flop fine which should be something done more regularly, imo, across the whole NBA and not just for Harden).

(2)  If you assume that they should be called as fouls, the issue is they should be fouls for everyone and not just for Harden and few other pampered stars.  Your comment about refs turning into robots rings hollow to me on this point.  Robots would see the same level of contact and make the same call every time.  Refs now make the call for Harden but don't give Bembry the same call and that is the opposite of being a robot.  I will take robots because they are consistent and fair and players and teams can adjust to that.  There is no adjusting to refs calling every brush on Harden but no making the same call when Sap receives the same contact.

Timmay was asked about all the haters like you that said he was a bust pickup.  He said he jus' shakes 'em off ...

Image result for tim hardaway jr. shimmy gif

:Timmy: "All I gotta say is WhOubre?!"

Seriously though, I do actually agree with you on the refs.  It's a broken system.

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

They all claim it was the nose....

Please don't ban me I love it here...

"Blowing his nose"?  Riight.  Don't let AH fool you.  He didn't realize surveillance video caught him "blowing" his nose.

Cocaine

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Timmay was asked about all the haters like you that said he was a bust pickup.  He said he jus' shakes 'em off ...

Image result for tim hardaway jr. shimmy gif

:Timmy: "All I gotta say is WhOubre?!"

Seriously though, I do actually agree with you on the refs.  It's a broken system.

"Blowing his nose"?  Riight.  Don't let AH fool you.  He didn't realize surveillance video caught him "blowing" his nose.

Cocaine

You went a different route with that...the rated R route...my version takes place in dirty little cinemas across San Francisco...:-|

Had limited time to watch this game so I skipped to the 4th quarter and saw we were way down.  Skipped ahead to 4 minutes left and was like, "Wait.  Wtf just happened?"  Went back and watched Timmy balling out.  Totally woth it.

regret-nothing.gif?w=500&h=240

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

I have it on my dvr but I'm not sure we have the technology to forward dvr recordings to each other yet....do we? Ur welcome for the million dollar idea. 

Ps @AUhawksfan if we did have that technology I'd forward a few other cool dvr recording that I'm sure you would like...;-)

Well crap, I wish I could get that from you.  The game that is, not those home movies you made.....nobody wants to see those!

5 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Well crap, I wish I could get that from you.  The game that is, not those home movies you made.....nobody wants to see those!

Lol...seriously how is there not a button that I can forward a dvr recording to somebody? I'm not an inventor, I'm an improver...

4 hours ago, Dwighthoward4life said:

If pau milsap can get 14 shots a game shooting 44 percent as a PF and 32 percent from 3 then Dwight Howard can get a couple more shots a game.

I wonder why Paul freezes up in crunch time. No matter how many points he scores you will never see him connect on a buzzer beater or any kind of shot in pressure spots near the end. I guess he is just missing that "clutch" gene. Even in a game where he scores 30 or 40 he totally becomes all scared and nervous on crunch time shots, which probably seperates him from elite players.

42 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Best screen Dwight has set all season.

That's what you do with pests...u swattem down lol..also that's when everything turned around for us! Nice!

On 2/3/2017 at 4:47 PM, Spud2Nique said:

That's what you do with pests...u swattem down lol..also that's when everything turned around for us! Nice!

Casual fans (and a lot of players themselves) don't realize how important hard screens are.  My memory is hazy but I don't remember hearing Beverly's name much after that.  It's why selfish, scoring-centric players don't set or run through them, they drain energy like crazy. 

On 2/3/2017 at 11:30 AM, macdaddy said:

That was some crazy stuff.   Great game by Dwight, Tim, and Bembry.   Everyone else kind of sucked.   I don't know how the Rockets have won so many games.   They don't play D and made just really stupid plays in this one.   How about the inbound pass to no one late in the fourth.

Combining D'Antoni Philosophy with Moreyball is an easy recipe for a gentleman's sweep in the first round.  They are awful but make it look presentable with 2 good perimeter defenders in Ariza and Beverly, a good screen roller in Capela, and a hustle Big in Harrell.  Pundits kill me acting like Gordon and Anderson are championship-level players.  Barely playoff worthy.

Having Harden control all playmaking duties while everyone else jack up threes is pure laziness in team management and coaching.  Bud has led his team to big comebacks against much better opponents so I wasn't surprised at all.  D'Antoni teams loosen the defensive screws until they fall out in the fourth.  Buds teams grip tighter than ever in the same span.  The Rockets could've literally melted physically to match their mentality.

Edited by benhillboy

On 2/2/2017 at 11:10 PM, Spud2Nique said:

Did anyone else check out the #'s combined of our PG's?

Dennis and Delaney combined for:

3-22 fg

0-6 3's

7 assists (of our teams 26)

7 points (of our teams 113)

Is this an anomaly or is it a good idea to have THJ, Bembry and I hate to say it, Baze bring the ball up the court and have them get us into our offense from time to time as a change of pace and a different look?

Ok I think both Dennis and Delaney read this ...lol