• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Nets

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

124632319_REUTERS_A-bust-of-Cristiano-Ro

“We just decided to go ahead get your Barclays Center statue started, Brook!”

You all know the deal. No Excuses Weekend comes to a close!

After flubbing the final quarter in Chicago, our Atlanta Hawks have little time for solace. They’ve got another tipoff this evening, in Brooklyn against Kenny Atkinson’s Nets (6:00 PM Eastern, Fox Sports Southeast and 92.9 FM in ATL, YES Network in NYC).

It’s still not Must-Win territory yet, but this is definitely a You-Betta-Win game for the Hawks (39-37), who remain strident of the sense that a decade’s worth of sustained first-round playoff revenue would eclipse any benefits a lower-lottery prospect might bring. Having mailed in their you-betta-win versus these same Nets last Sunday, a 107-92 flop at home, is No Excuse for taking care of business today on the road.

Atlanta, somehow, still has a two-game cushion on the 7th through 9th seeds, but their final five contests are less of a picnic than for any of the remaining teams clinging to postseason hopes.

Separated by just a half-game as of this morning, future Hawk foes Boston (Thursday) and Cleveland (Friday and next Sunday) can’t afford to rest anybody if they have designs on the #1 seed. Charlotte and Indiana are on the outside of the playoff party, looking in, if the season ended today. Much like the Bulls, those teams will be of the mindset that sneaking back in serves no purpose if you can’t even beat the Hawks right now.

Your team’s playoff issues are of no concern to the Nets (17-59), who shifted to full-time spoiler mode somewhere around the turn of the calendar year. They have split their last twelve games, and five of their last eight victories since March 1 have been by double-digits. They’re aiming at their first sweep of wins on back-to-back days since April 1, 2014, when Brook Lopez turned 27 years young.

At Barclays Center yesterday, Brooklyn’s offense pummeled Orlando along the way to a 121-111 victory. Giving everyone opportunities to impress on the floor, Atkinson is drowning opponents with depth. Besides Lopez’s 30 points on his birthday, three backup Nets scored in double-figures, including forward Trevor Booker’s season high 23 points (11-for-12 FGs). Nine of 11 Net players contributed at least two rebounds, and nine of 11 dished out at least one assist.

That’s a team effort that will need to be at least matched today by the Hawks, who finally got a modicum of assistance from their bench crew but still shot just 7-for-19 from the field (6-for-12 3FGs) and never got to the free throw line a single time in the 106-104 loss to the Bulls.

It would have been pleasant to have the option of resting Paul Millsap (knee) a little more, ahead of the arduous close to the season. Alas, the team’s active leader in scoring, steals (assuming Thabo Sefolosha remains out), and free throws per game must be pressed into action right away if he can be cleared.

Even if Sap is a no-go, it’s No Excuse. Atlanta produced just 16 assists and its players turned over the ball 20 times during last Sunday’s matinee mugging at the hands of the Nets. Yesterday, the Hawks’ 25 assists (13 turnovers) kept them in the running for a road win right up to the buzzer, and they’ll need that enhanced ball control to cool off the Nets today.

There’s not much more to say, other than… No Excuses!

Let’s Go Hawks!

~lw3

View full record

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

That’s a team effort that will need to be at least matched today by the Hawks, who finally got a modicum of assistance from their bench crew but still shot just 7-for-19 from the field (6-for-12 3FGs) and never got to the free throw line a single time in the 106-104 loss to the Bulls.

Great game thread lw3!! Would like a little more production from our bench but happy to see us fight against the Bulls yesterday.

Not a jinx hopefully but I can't see us losing two games to the Nets in a week.

NO EXCUSES. LETS GO ATL!!!

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

One additional "strategery" note...

You know how we love our second-round picks. While the Celts get Brooklyn's lotto pick, we get to swoop in on the Nets' top second-rounder, All Praise Due to Joe Johnson. A loss for Brooklyn today drops the Hawks' Magic Number to 2 for clinching the #31 pick this June.

Incidentally, we're in a race for the top second-rounder with Orlando, who gets the Lakers' pick thanks to the 2012 Dwight Howard deal.

~lw3

The first pick in the second round is very valuable around the league. Love it.

LOL . . so people rooting for us to lose and fall out of playoff contention?  Too late for all of that.  We need to know who can overcome adversity on this team, and who can't.

Shout out to Denver, Cleveland, and New Orleans ( featuring Jordan Crawford ) . . for potentially helping us out today.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . so people rooting for us to lose and fall out of playoff contention?  Too late for all of that.  We need to know who can overcome adversity on this team, and who can't.

Shout out to Denver, Cleveland, and New Orleans ( featuring Jordan Crawford ) . . for potentially helping us out today.  

Definitely not rooting for us to not make it. Just stay close on the 5th and 6th seed so we can adjust accordingly with the Cavs/Celts battle for 1st. I'd just like to stay out of the Cavs way as long as possible. Cavs get 1st, I want 6th...Cavs get 2nd, I want 5th. Lol.

Vegas has us favored by 3. I know the Nets beat us last week and we are on the road but I think we should be favored by 6.5 at least. Maybe not I dunno lol.

Hahaha Delly just got his ass thrown to the ground I love it. Bucks about to lose ...we win and we tied for 5th.108-103 Mavs with 20 seconds left. Ok, I guess we are rooting for a Cavs loss to the Pacers...ummmm..yea...yea...I think ..yes.

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I am.  This team is not good.  They continue to take steps in the wrong direction.  Miss out on the playoffs and get a lottery pick and maybe management will begin to realize that this team is flawed.  Making the playoffs only results in a negative in the long run.  Gives false confidence, get destroyed in round one, and it worsens the draft pick slot.  So yeah I want the Hawks to miss the playoffs and hopefully it will open up some eyes around the franchise.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

I am.  This team is not good.  They continue to take steps in the wrong direction.  Miss out on the playoffs and get a lottery pick and maybe management will begin to realize that this team is flawed.  Making the playoffs only results in a negative in the long run.  Gives false confidence, get destroyed in round one, and it worsens the draft pick slot.  So yeah I want the Hawks to miss the playoffs and hopefully it will open up some eyes around the franchise.  

Yep, team blow this bitch up!

• Like 1

Just now, AUhawksfan said:

I feel like I'm an optimist on here but I'm trying to find the benefit in the Hawks making the playoffs. Can someone give me a good argument for how they can potentially get past the first round or gain something positive from the playoffs?  Especially after the showing today. 

I honesty feel like they'd be better off with a slightly better 1st round pick and taking the time off.  Did they come back anymore determined after being eliminated by Cleveland 4-0 the first time?  Nope, same results. I don't see anything beneficial from potentially getting beat badly again in the playoffs. 

I truly feel like it's In the best interests of the team, so nobody hit me with that "you aren't a true fan" BS.  I don't think it will happen, too many other potentials aren't winning games either but I can't say I'm not rooting for it to happen. 

Side note:  Budenholzer has almost hit the 4 year mark with the Hawks and he's starting to look like he's President of the US after 4. The gray hairs are coming out in full force!

Welcome to the blow this bitch up fanclub. Me, @Hotlanta1981, @Alex and @JayBirdHawk are founding members. Honestly, outside of Sap, we don't have a single player I am confident is better than a 6th man on this roster. We need to just upgrade the talent. We need to get the best talent and potential there is. Get the player who you know could develop into a superstar. Don't waste resources of fits anymore. Without Al, nothing fits anymore. It's just time to focus on upgrading the talent. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Welcome to the blow this bitch up fanclub. Me, @Hotlanta1981, @Alex and @JayBirdHawk are founding members. Honestly, outside of Sap, we don't have a single player I am confident is better than a 6th man on this roster. We need to just upgrade the talent. We need to get the best talent and potential there is. Get the player who you know could develop into a superstar. Don't waste resources of fits anymore. Without Al, nothing fits anymore. It's just time to focus on upgrading the talent. 

Its time to get rid of Bud!!

• Like 2

Not as damaging a day for the Hawks as it could have been.  Bucks lost and Heat lost.  Bulls won and Pacers in overtime against the Cavaliers.  Would be huge if the Pacers won!!!