• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets

lethalweapon3

I dont think I can stress enough just how much I dislike Delaney.  Guy is just not an NBA player. He does nothing well. Takes bad shots, cant hit shots, cant defend, and its more but you get the point

I dont see him lasting in the league once his deal is up. He brings nothing to the table

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JTB said:

I believe this is correct to an extent  but Howard Truly had nothing to do with us losing this game in my opinion. As someone already pointed out the 3rd quarter we missed many wide open shots created by Dennis and shot 25% in that quarter. To make matters worse it wasn’t just any player missing these wide open shots, it was our veteran 3pt shooters who missed these  open shots! Babbit, Marco, Illayasova ....those 3 had opportunities after opportunities to put the game away. 

I would say “growing pains” like bazemore suggested after the game but honestly and again  the guys who were missing the wide open looks were our 3pt vets we signed. I’m more in tune with the Dennis comment after the game:

“We had open shots,” Dennis Schröder said. “Open floaters, open shots, pull-up jumpers but we didn’t make them. It’s a part of basketball. Sometimes you make them and sometimes you miss them. Tonight we missed them in the second half.”

I’m not sure there was something to learn from this other than “hey make your open shots” but that’s common sense. I mean the offense was ran to perfection for such a young group and defense was ok could be better of course but I don’t think that’s what lost the game. All starters shot the ball well (most were above 50%) except Ersan. The bench let us down in game 2 of 82. I just hope they (bench) play like game 1 more often than not this season. The only thing I’m pissed about is the vet 3pt shooters missing their open shots ...other than that it was a good game.

Dwight scored 10 points in that 3rd quarter, including 6 in a row to really get that run going.  He drew an early foul on Ersan to get him out of the game.  He manhandled Moose and Collins on the inside in that brief 3rd quarter stretch.  His activity early in the game got Dedmon in foul trouble early.    And like ATLien said, we were strictly perimeter because of Dwight.   He was also +22 . .  . in the 3rd quarter alone.

6 offensive rebounds TOTAL for the Hawks, despite all of those missed shots.  Dwight had 4 by himself, and drew fouls on 3 of them.

It's OK to not like Dwight.  But the facts are the facts.  He may have been the #1 reason why we lost that game last night. 

Our bigs have to do better next time . . . or cut one of those non-shooting PFs, and bring in a big body exclusively for situations in which we face around the basket centers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sarcatic1 said:

I dont think I can stress enough just how much I dislike Delaney.  Guy is just not an NBA player. He does nothing well. Takes bad shots, cant hit shots, cant defend, and its more but you get the point

I dont see him lasting in the league once his deal is up. He brings nothing to the table

I wish there was a way for us to get a hold of Frank Mason Jr.  He's the 3rd PG on the Sacramento bench behind George Hill and De'aaron Fox.  He'd be a good addition as the backup PG, and has the ability to knock down shots from 3 point range.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Dwight scored 10 points in that 3rd quarter, including 6 in a row to really get that run going.  He drew an early foul on Ersan to get him out of the game.  He manhandled Moose and Collins on the inside in that brief 3rd quarter stretch.  His activity early in the game got Dedmon in foul trouble early.    And like ATLien said, we were strictly perimeter because of Dwight.   He was also +22 . .  . in the 3rd quarter alone.

6 offensive rebounds TOTAL for the Hawks, despite all of those missed shots.  Dwight had 4 by himself, and drew fouls on 3 of them.

It's OK to not like Dwight.  But the facts are the facts.  He may have been the #1 reason why we lost that game last night. 

Our bigs have to do better next time . . . or cut one of those non-shooting PFs, and bring in a big body exclusively for situations in which we face around the basket centers.

I don’t dislike Dwight but Dwight had nothing to do with missed open shots. If those shots were made the game would have stayed far and apart. 

I’m not saying Dwight didn’t do his part. I said he didn’t affect us as far as missing shots and that’s what I believe therefore since we got open his affect wasn’t a big deal to me. It’d be different had we got locked down completely inside and out but that didn’t happen, instead the hawks stopped themselves . So what he dictated the game and forced us to be perimeter base! Ok good that’s why we went out and signed 3pt shooters and guess what ? They got wide open and had opportunity after opportunity to add to an already decent lead. Dennis should have had well over 10 assist in that game.

i could care less about driving if we are going to get open on the perimeter. I expect illayasova, Babbit, Marco and moose to make teams pay when the paint is clogged cause this is going to happen often this year with teams paying more attention to Dennis.

I think you’re looking for me to say Howard made us change the way we were playing & fine I will admit that since it’s true...I’m not a Howard hater but I’m not going to say his presence was just so overwhelming on us & that’s why we lost the game ....hell no. Howard clogged the paint like he was supposed to & we spread the floor and got shooters open. Thats what we’re supposed to do in a situation like that right? Hell we only have one player on the team that can penetrate the lane at will.

And how exactly is our bigs supposed to do better? I mean going into the game we knew Howard could over power our whole team. By the way Howard sat out first quarter to with Dedmon. The truth is our bigs aren’t strong enough to deal with Howard but at the same time we put ourselves in a position where we didn’t have to when we took a big lead. The hornets don’t feed Howard the ball time after time. We make most those open shots in the 3rd and I bet Howard wouldn’t have even been in the game. They would have pulled him because of all the wide open opportunities.

my point is we can’t match Howard’s strength! He has us beat there no matter what we do so there aint no getting better there but we can make Howard and other traditional centers uncomfortable by forcing them to defend the perimeter which is something they don’t want to do. They want to stay by the goal.

• Like 1

The Hawks can't match up with teams that have an at the basket big man straight up now. It has to be something else, and that something else was tried and didn't work. To his credit, Dennis was in on the plan and was trying to create threes for good three point shooters...which were all missed (after the period where he was out and the team was absolutely lost with Delaney).

The most agonizing part of that is some were half down and out...and then like I said, Dedmon had a good look at a floater off of Dennis penetration which also was half down and out. That should have been my check on out period.

Reminds of any playoff series...heck also reminds of any Georgia sports.

• Premium Member
On 10/21/2017 at 4:59 AM, StephenHawking said:

Man you're the weirdest dude.

I see you sitting at home with a cheeky smile thinking you won the lottery or some. 

Everything but a win for the hornets would've been a real bad outing. They didn't press restart, we did. 

So stop feeling like a champion for Howard playing against an undersized rookie on 5 most of the game. 

Soon enough you'll eat your words when howard starts having problems with his teammates.

I guess a picture is worth a 1000 words???

Interesting. 

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Didnt we have most if the board say Dwight was the problem here?   Dwight used our nbdl players.

Btw: Dennis still not passing inside.    

• Premium Member

I've been a Hawks fan too long to give up on them.  Moreover, I still have to call a bad trade a bad trade.   It was a bad trade. 

But... if you want to talk about Agendas...

Now that Dennis is down... there are a few guys who I doubt we hear from for a while.. because they were not really fans of the Hawks.  Just fans of their man.  Don't worry, we've seen it before.  I really liked the Hanno Fans.  And the Estaban Fans.  However, when their time was up, so were their fans.  That's what you call an agenda.   And the Dennis fans are no different. 

The problem is that your boy, Dennis, is perfect in your eyes... and above Criticism...  Isn't that an agenda.  Then, when somebody says something about his shortcomings, Oh... you must have an agenda.   NO... I'm just calling it like it is.  Dennis is a very good scorer who could care less about establishing bigs.  That's the cold hard truth... but to listen to you explain it... Oh... It's the Big's fault.  Oh... It's Bud's fault.  Oh... it's the other shooter's fault.. if they could just get their shots to fall.  Ask yourself... When is it ever Dennis' fault?  When do YOU ever notice a guy like Collins... just sprinting down the court to get his spot... get his spot and Dennis just look the other way.   

Here's a truth that You all and Dennis will have to learn.  If you establish your bigs early... there will be better passing lanes and shooting areas as the game goes on.  However, if you don't establish your bigs... you will always be trying to shoot your way to victories ...with a hand in your face... .