• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks could be "destination" for Jahlil Okafor

aali34

2 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

John Collins next to Jahlil Okafor would work about a well as Nerlens Noel next to Jahlil Okafor.  Reminds me of when the Pistons had Drummond and Monroe.

At some point Collins will be shooting 3s. Bud does this all the time, I know he’s going to encourage Collins mid range jumper (get that down to consistent high level like Dennis’s midrange game is now...**yes Dennis was one of the best mid range shooters among all guards last season and so far this year it has carried over no question **)

then from there he’s going to encourage Collins to jump out to the 3pt line so that he has a complete overall offensive game by the time he reaches his prime.

collins will not be roller to the basket his whole career. He will be getting more opportunities to showcase his complete skill set as time goes on.

regardless if it’s okafor or the possibility of drafting Ayton, Collins will need to be a complete overall big man in this new nba era if he wants to dominate this league so that’s being able to score inside and outside similar to cousins and Davis.

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, JTB said:

At some point Collins will be shooting 3s. Bud does this all the time, I know he’s going to encourage Collins mid range jumper (get that down to consistent high level like Dennis’s midrange game is now...**yes Dennis was one of the best mid range shooters among all guards last season and so far this year it has carried over no question **)

then from there he’s going to encourage Collins to jump out to the 3pt line so that he has a complete overall offensive game by the time he reaches his prime.

collins will not be roller to the basket his whole career. He will be getting more opportunities to showcase his complete skill set as time goes on.

regardless if it’s okafor or the possibility of drafting Ayton, Collins will need to be a complete overall big man in this new nba era if he wants to dominate this league so that’s being able to score inside and outside similar to cousins and Davis.

You talk as if developing a shot is a walk in the park and Coach is Superman.  John Collins is a dunker and looks like an old-school 4... He thrives on second-chance points and attacking the rim.  I don't see him ever developing a consistent midrange shot let alone a 3pt shot.  I know his career is very young, but his numbers so far are terrible outside of three feet. Gonna have to agree to disagree here.

1 hour ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

You talk as if developing a shot is a walk in the park and Coach is Superman.  John Collins is a dunker and looks like an old-school 4... He thrives on second-chance points and attacking the rim.  I don't see him ever developing a consistent midrange shot let alone a 3pt shot.  I know his career is very young, but his numbers so far are terrible outside of three feet. Gonna have to agree to disagree here.

Well it certainly isn’t going to be a walk in the park but this team is going to go into a rebuild mode for at least 3-5 years. The first few years will be gaining all the pieces that Schlenk wants via draft and free agency. And once the players are all here they are all going to go through some years of developing their skills and playing with each other to build chemistry on and off the court.

so to me looking at the big picture overall Collins has a good 5 years to really develop his jump shot by the time we are hoping to actually be realistic contenders or let’s just say in the playoffs consistently year in and year out.  It’s very possible for him make major strides on his jumper until we get to that point.

and old school traditional 4s could hit mid rangers so I don’t know why that’s tough for you to see Collins doing. I do understand the 3pt shot development for Collins , that may never happen we will have to see but I bet bud attempts it.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JTB said:

Well it certainly isn’t going to be a walk in the park but this team is going to go into a rebuild mode for at least 3-5 years. The first few years will be gaining all the pieces that Schlenk wants via draft and free agency. And once the players are all here they are all going to go through some years of developing their skills and playing with each other to build chemistry on and off the court.

so to me looking at the big picture overall Collins has a good 5 years to really develop his jump shot by the time we are hoping to actually be realistic contenders or let’s just say in the playoffs consistently year in and year out.  It’s very possible for him make major strides on his jumper until we get to that point.

and old school traditional 4s could hit mid rangers so I don’t know why that’s tough for you to see Collins doing. I do understand the 3pt shot development for Collins , that may never happen we will have to see but I bet bud attempts it.

shawn-kemp-getty-images.jpg

Not saying this is who he'll become and I've made my stance on putting unnecessary expectations on our youngins clear, but I see shades of the man above in John Collins.  Same height, same build, and same prowess around the rim.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

The kid averaged 17 and 7 as a rookie when he got playing time. 

That's numbers Paul Milsap and Horford were averaging as Vets in their prime. 

I don't care about his deficiencies, he is still young enough to develop. He is far from his prime (think THJ) 

If we as a franchise aren't trying to bring in young talented players with his potential then I don't know what we are doing. 

We are currently tanking for the hopes that we can be in a position to land a player with his game via draft. Well, he is available now. And the good news is he has too much to learn in our system that I doubt he makes a big enough impact to ruin our tanking plans. By the start of next season though, he along with Dennis and our top 3 pick will be a great nucleus of talent complimented by the likes of Prince, Bembry, and Collins who look like really good players. 

Make it happen!

Raw numbers don't tell the story. He doesn't defend like, literally, at all. His rebounding numbers are also terrible for a big man, 7 rebounds in 30 minutes isn't exactly respectable... those are last year's Horford type numbers. He is above average in scoring and bad to terrible at every other aspect, couple that with what appears to be an arrogant and selfish attitude, and it isn't hard to see why no one is wearing down the Sixers line trying to get this guy.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Raw numbers don't tell the story. He doesn't defend like, literally, at all. His rebounding numbers are also terrible for a big man, 7 rebounds in 30 minutes isn't exactly respectable... those are last year's Horford type numbers. He is above average in scoring and bad to terrible at every other aspect, couple that with what appears to be an arrogant and selfish attitude, and it isn't hard to see why no one is wearing down the Sixers line trying to get this guy.

I think that is why they couldn't move him last year.  Now they have all that plus the inability to resign him if someone else gets excited about him.  Philly should probably cut him so they and Okafor can just move on in life.  They aren't getting anything of value for him.

5 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

His jumper looked nice in SL and so far he's 6-12 from 10+ feet (ignoring the 0-1 from 3 on a full court heave) in the regular season. Small sample size, but you can't say he's looked terrible doing it. I think he's just too focused on setting screens, rolling, and rebounding right now to expand his game. It should come in time. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I have no concerns with Collins but I agree he and Okafor wouldn't pair well together. Collins needs to be in the low post or rolling off screens. Okafor would occupy the same low post or just clog the lane. I actually think Okafor could still be a good NBA player but it wouldn't work for us.

13 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Not saying this is who he'll become and I've made my stance on putting unnecessary expectations on our youngins clear, but I see shades of the man above in John Collins.  Same height, same build, and same prowess around the rim.

Shawn Kemp rookie year ( March )

Shawn Kemp 2nd year - February

Shawn Kemp 6th year - January

If this is his progression, I'll take it.

• Like 3

After reading this thread, I see why trading for him makes little sense, but we need to sign this guy up if he does get cut or is available in the offseason. I've seen him play in person, he's got real ability you can't teach. He was bullying Horford in his rookie year. A change of scenery could do a lot for him. Bud can work on his defense and overall team play, just look at what he did for THJ.

I think he can play next to Collins right now as well, if you watch highlights of Okafor he can operate out the high post or even as far as the three point line. Obviously he can't shoot from there, but even that in time can be worked upon. What he needs is an organization who believes in him, and I think he could grow into a 20+/10+ type player.

Even if the rebounding doesn't come around, Collins I think could cover that somewhat. Not like Horford was great for us by the end of his tenure.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 11/10/2017 at 2:07 PM, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

I will say this and it’s going somewhat  go against everything I said about Collins developing a jumper....but IF Collins turns out to even be close to supersonics Shawn Kemp ...i don’t give a damn about his jumper lol, I mean yeah he should still try to develop one (at least a mid range shot)  but being around the goal would be his go to offensively all day.

kemp is one of my favorite players of all time. His athleticism was unreal back in the day.

On 11/11/2017 at 2:52 PM, nathan2331 said:

After reading this thread, I see why trading for him makes little sense, but we need to sign this guy up if he does get cut or is available in the offseason. I've seen him play in person, he's got real ability you can't teach. He was bullying Horford in his rookie year. A change of scenery could do a lot for him. Bud can work on his defense and overall team play, just look at what he did for THJ.

I think he can play next to Collins right now as well, if you watch highlights of Okafor he can operate out the high post or even as far as the three point line. Obviously he can't shoot from there, but even that in time can be worked upon. What he needs is an organization who believes in him, and I think he could grow into a 20+/10+ type player.

Even if the rebounding doesn't come around, Collins I think could cover that somewhat. Not like Horford was great for us by the end of his tenure.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Yeah I personally believe bud will try to force all players to develop a shot no matter their position. But whether we start or bring Collins off the bench he should definitely be on this team 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JTB said:

Yeah I personally believe bud will try to force all players to develop a shot no matter their position. But whether we start or bring Okafor off the bench he should definitely be on this team 

Fixed 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, Packfill said:

Agree or disagree with Nets taking a look at Okafor?  

Win / win for us.  If he sucks there, we gave up nothing.  If he develops there, we can sign him for more than the Nets can match with ease (say $7M).  No downside for us.  For the Nets?  Less enticing.

• Like 3