• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Jazz

lethalweapon3

6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Too bad that most of the fan base couldn't enjoy this.  I actually fell asleep on this game at halftime.   Shocked to see Dennis explode in the 4th like that.   

As for the tank . . . Bud played Dennis 35 minutes and Taurean 37 minutes.

I still say that the Hawks DO NOT want the top pick.   I wonder what is the monetary difference between paying for the 1st pick, compared to the 5th pick? ** checking **

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2017/06/23/2017-nba-draft-1st-round-rookie-salary-projections/#77d52ed7be15

If there aren't any clear cut Hall of Famers in this draft, they may not want to spend the extra 2.5 million a year to get the #1 pick, compared to the #5 pick.

My thoughts exactly: Bud REALLY wanted this one and went out and got it, Menace has a switch that he can leave in the “on” position, and the Hawks want the 3rd pick (not the 1st).

• Like 2

I’m definitely no @AHF but I won’t be hitting cartwheels after this apparent B2B win streak after Sacramento.  It’s gonna take 30 minutes of Moose to seal that loss.  Actually I wouldn’t mind seeing Vince drop 30.  Then check into a retirement home.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guard said:

The pick will be between 4-7. Don’t expect anything different. They’re going to win against the Kings too.  

I’mo stick with 3rd, thanks ;)

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Too bad that most of the fan base couldn't enjoy this.  I actually fell asleep on this game at halftime.   Shocked to see Dennis explode in the 4th like that.   

As for the tank . . . Bud played Dennis 35 minutes and Taurean 37 minutes.

I still say that the Hawks DO NOT want the top pick.   I wonder what is the monetary difference between paying for the 1st pick, compared to the 5th pick? ** checking **

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2017/06/23/2017-nba-draft-1st-round-rookie-salary-projections/#77d52ed7be15

If there aren't any clear cut Hall of Famers in this draft, they may not want to spend the extra 2.5 million a year to get the #1 pick, compared to the #5 pick.

This is ridiculous this is you not knowing NBA rules. There is a minimum amount of cap space NBA teams have to spend (almost certain it is 90%) every year 2.5 million if anything helps the hawks if they are trying to tank because it is less salary they have to add via FA.

Edited by davis171

3 hours ago, JTB said:

Dennis was outstanding...that bullshit about him not being able to play off ball need to stop. He can clearly play off ball and understands what he need to do to get it open.

if we do draft Doncic they will both be a great fit for each other.

oh and we really need to resign dedmon...we didn’t see his best this season.

Yes. Yes. And yes.

7 minutes ago, hazer said:

Yes. Yes. And yes.

Dennis is not a good fit with Doncic due to both their weakest games on offense being 3pt shooting and we attempt a ton of 3s in Bud's system. Either Schröder or Bud has to go or Bud has to change his system (which I don't see happening.)

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, davis171 said:

This is ridiculous this is you not knowing NBA rules. There is a minimum amount of cap space NBA teams have to spend (almost certain it is 90%) every year 2.5 million if anything helps the hawks if they are trying to tank because it is less salary they have to add via FA.

Not to mention that it is empircally undeniable that the best value in the NBA is the #1 overall pick.  In any particular draft your mileage may vary, but the expected performance from that pick is miles better than the #5 pick especially for a team that has zero salary constraints in the near term.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not to mention that it is empircally undeniable that the best value in the NBA is the #1 overall pick.  In any particular draft your mileage may vary, but the expected performance from that pick is miles better than the #5 pick especially for a team that has zero salary constraints in the near term.

Boo hoo!

Mikal Bridges will make more of an immediate impact anyway.  

I haven't really thought about getting a bottom 2 spot ever since Prince hit that that against the Suns. So this win doesn't really bother me from that perspective. I just don't want to drop to 4+. 

I also don't think Bud was trying extra hard to win the game or anything. It was just a combination of Dennis having a career night and the Jazz having probably their worst shooting game of the season. 

• Like 2

Damn idiots!  Winning last night not only hurts their draft pick, but also my wallet.  Parlay was 2/3 complete until this game went south.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, High5 said:

I also don't think Bud was trying extra hard to win the game or anything.

I disagree...After Plumlee's disastrous 1st half, you saw very little of that dude in the 2nd half nor did you hear from Cavanaugh.  Plus he played Dennis 35 minutes and Dedmon 29 minutes?  That is 4 minutes longer than their season averages.  Also Bud stuck with regular rotations not mixing it up when he is in full coach tank mode.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Room for what?  Everyone of these wins costs us slots for our worst case scenario and limits our best case scenario.  We have less then zero room.  We have ground to make up not room to give.

We’re no longer in a situation where there are 6 teams with the same record. I get what you’re saying but yeah. We’re in a coin flip for 4th now.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Boo hoo!

Mikal Bridges will make more of an immediate impact anyway.  

You are free to enjoy every victory the Hawks get.  Many people enjoyed the Bobby Sura fueled wins.  Have at it.

Doesn't mean I have to like us downgrading our draft position.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, DBac said:

We’re no longer in a situation where there are 6 teams with the same record. I get what you’re saying but yeah. We’re in a coin flip for 4th now.

We were in the pole position and kept getting wins and people kept saying "no problem, we'll still end up worst."  Now we are saying "no problem surely we won't fall any more even if we keep picking up meaningless games, right?"

We were within 2 games of the #1 spot and 2 games ahead of Dallas.  Now we are 3 games back and can fall to a tie for 5th place with a single win.  With two wins we could be in a tie for 7th place which would put our draft range 1-3, 7-10.

This is like making a run for the playoffs and giving up a game to one of the dregs of the league.  Self-sabotage.

Every game counts at this point in the season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I disagree...After Plumlee's disastrous 1st half, you saw very little of that dude in the 2nd half nor did you hear from Cavanaugh.  Plus he played Dennis 35 minutes and Dedmon 29 minutes?  That is 4 minutes longer than their season averages.  Also Bud stuck with regular rotations not mixing it up when he is in full coach tank mode.

Dedmon has averaged ~28 minutes for the last 10 games. He played 31 minutes last game. Dennis played 35 minutes last game as well. Bud's not going to pull Dennis when he's having the best quarter of his life. It was a close game that Bud let them play out and the Jazz kinda choked. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

You are free to enjoy every victory the Hawks get.  Many people enjoyed the Bobby Sura fueled wins.  Have at it.

Doesn't mean I have to like us downgrading our draft position.

Considering that the worse our record is, the harder it is going to be to bounce back and get back into the playoffs, I'd rather concentrate on winning.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Considering that the worse our record is, the harder it is going to be to bounce back and get back into the playoffs, I'd rather concentrate on winning.  

So every win Bobby Sura got made it more likely we'd be in the playoffs the next season and our playoff odds for the next season increased with Childress and those wins versus Dwight and more losses?  Mmmmkay.

• Like 3