• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 Free Agency, July 1st....let the games begin

JayBirdHawk

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'd be interested in talking to Smart.  He seems like a decent fit with Trae (Smart guards the 2's) and I've seen articles indicating that while he wants a nice 8 figure per season salary that he is unlikely to get it.  Boston is hoping to resign him at Dedmon salary levels. 

Perfect fit. I’ve wanted Smart for a while now. He brings a certai rugged style and would fit Lloyd’s D to a T. As long as it’s a deal that keeps our flexibility then I’m all in on Smart.

I will say that he might impact our immediate winning too much though. I’d almost rather sign somebody that might not single handedly impact our wins by so much. Smart might be 5 more wins alone. 

• Like 1

The absolute best thing about this table is that Jamal Crawford’s new nickname is “Dead Money.” (I could be mistaken, though, I’ve yet to be always right about anything.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Premium Member
Perfect fit. I’ve wanted Smart for a while now. He brings a certai rugged style and would fit Lloyd’s D to a T. As long as it’s a deal that keeps our flexibility then I’m all in on Smart.

I will say that he might impact our immediate winning too much though. I’d almost rather sign somebody that might not single handedly impact our wins by so much. Smart might be 5 more wins alone. 

I agree, he would be a major difference maker. If we got him it would be no different because he puts it all on the floor regardless.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Marcus Smart is trash. If there was a Mendoza line for NBA offense, he'd be below it by a decent margin. Don't let his effort fool you.

You’re just mad because he got shot out of a canon when Korver hit him. Korver is mad strong though so...

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Marcus Smart is trash. If there was a Mendoza line for NBA offense, he'd be below it by a decent margin. Don't let his effort fool you.

On offense, he is trash.  Can't shoot and shoots too often.  Good passer, good rebounder and plus defender.  But he can't shoot.

You’re just mad because he got shot out of a canon when Korver hit him. Korver is mad strong though so...

That is true, but the stats still don't lie. If he wants to get paid it better not happen in Atlanta. Shouldn't even get the MLE, he's not good.
On offense, he is trash.  Can't shoot and shoots too often.  Good passer, good rebounder and plus defender.  But he can't shoot.

He's so bad on offense, I think it offsets whatever other value he produces. His ineptitude on offense makes everyone's time harder and he's not that great of a defender to justify it. The flopping just seals it for me, I want nothing to do with him.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I'd be interested in talking to Smart.  He seems like a decent fit with Trae (Smart guards the 2's) and I've seen articles indicating that while he wants a nice 8 figure per season salary that he is unlikely to get it.  Boston is hoping to resign him at Dedmon salary levels. 

Dallas is interested in signing him if his ask is not to crazy, let him go there along with one of Capela, DeAndre Jordan(if he is stupid enough to opt out of $28 mil)  or Cousins.

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dallas is interested in signing him if his ask is not to crazy, let him go there along with one of Capela, DeAndre Jordan(if he is stupid enough to opt out of $28 mil)  or Cousins.

No I don’t want Dallas getting a Deandre Jordan and a Marcus Smart. That would push our pick from like a 8-12 to like a 15-20. Plus he would fit really well with Dallas too.

I don’t know, no matter how crappy he is on offense, every team needs one of those guys. It’s like a Tony Allen type..or a PJ Tucker. I’m sure coach Lloyd wouldn’t mind. Smart could be his free safety in a Falcons scheme Hawks look. ? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have to imagine DeAndre Jordan and the Mavericks both pretend like the other doesn't exist when it comes to free agency. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, JTB said:

Nerlens Noel will be a hawk at a reasonable contract 

I don't think so.  Very limited skill set and with Dedmon and Muscala coming back they are full.  

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, High5 said:

I have to imagine DeAndre Jordan and the Mavericks both pretend like the other doesn't exist when it comes to free agency. 

Not really, if this is true...

In the summer of 2015, star center DeAndre Jordanverbally committed to the Dallas Mavericks in free agency, only to change his mind at the last minute and re-sign with the Los Angeles Clippers.

But the past is the past, and if Jordan opts out of his contract this offseason and becomes a free agent, the Mavericks would be willing to bury the hatchet and bring him aboard.

Dallas will be FA players...

"The interest in DeMarcus Cousins is not what outsiders think it is. The last time I asked the Mavs about Dwight Howard, the actual response was, 'Not with a 10-foot pole,' so I'm not going to ask again. And Houston's Clint Capela? We're still trying to figure out why the Rockets won't simply match-and-retain the restricted standout. Nerlens Noel? How many times do the Mavs want to keep making mistakes on the same guy?"

Other possibilities for the Mavericks, per Fisher, are Julius Randle, Derrick Favors (though the Mavs reportedly want to "do better" than Favors) or even trading for a player like Nikola Vucevic, Hassan Whiteside or taking on Marcin Gortat if they're able to trade for Bradley Beal.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 11:07 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Didn't think he would opt out and leave $28 mil on the table.

With both him and Daryl Arthur picking up their option, Denver is now over the cap and will be into the Luxury Tax after resigning Jokic. 

Hawks will be in position to take on salary dumps for an asset.

Can the Hawks take one of them, plus Michael Jr. ??? :whistle: lol

I wouldn’t mind Smart on a great value deal despite his obvious lack of offensive skill.  Somehow he doesn’t hurt the Celtics statistically while serving as the heart of and leader of their Goon Squad with Morris and Rozier.  You gotta goon it up sometimes.  Young needs a teammate who’s gonna be hard on him in practice.  

Its fascinating watching him really.  Usually players that limited are up front.  He reminds me of Reggie Evans: did absolutely nothing but hit the glass.  Smarts tangible value starts and stops with loose ball recovery.  He’s grown to make some nice plays, how I don’t know when his shot should never be honored.  I think he’d be a better NFL backup RB than NBA player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

I wouldn’t mind Smart on a great value deal despite his obvious lack of offensive skill.  Somehow he doesn’t hurt the Celtics statistically while serving as the heart of and leader of their Goon Squad with Morris and Rozier.  You gotta goon it up sometimes.  Young needs a teammate who’s gonna be hard on him in practice. 

+1 for "You gotta goon it up sometimes."

• Like 1