• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 Free Agency, July 1st....let the games begin

JayBirdHawk

On 6/23/2018 at 11:07 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Didn't think he would opt out and leave $28 mil on the table.

With both him and Daryl Arthur picking up their option, Denver is now over the cap and will be into the Luxury Tax after resigning Jokic. 

Hawks will be in position to take on salary dumps for an asset.

I agree. Us taking on any one of Chandler, Faried, Arthur would not be a shocker; and the beauty is only five teams can adsorb their contracts by sending some minimum required player their way. As someone else mentioned, OKC along with Miami are two other teams that might be looking to shed some cap. Portland and Toronto have some tough payroll decisions coming up as well.

There are at least five teams looking to shed salary; with only five around who can; Travis talk about wait and see on free agency; might be code for wait and see about a trade :biggrin:

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I wonder if Doc is going to demand his unconditional release like Bud did. 

If he does you can be damn sure that he won't get to keep all his money and go unrestricted like Bud did.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

More....

The offseason has started in full for all 30 teams, and we have a much clearer picture of the big questions facing each franchise.

Which decisions on key players, trades and new contracts will be priorities? Let's run through all 30 teams.

Note: Depth charts include expected roles for players under contract in 2018-19. We've included an explainer for Bird rights at the end of this piece.

Atlanta Hawks

atl.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Offseason focus

• Trade cap space for draft assets: $20 million in room but limited roster spots

• The future of Dennis Schröder: pending legal issue and arrival of Trae Young

• Balancing the roster: 15 players under contract and nine guards

Exceptions

• Room midlevel: $4.4 million

Cap-space breakdown

• Dewayne Dedmon and Mike Muscalaexercising their options for next season leaves Atlanta with $20 million in cap space.

• The Hawks do have three non-guaranteed contracts in Isaiah Taylor, Antonius Clevelandand Jaylen Morris. The Hawks could create an additional $4 million in room if all three are waived. Taylor has $300K that will become guaranteed if he is not waived by July 27.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

It'll be interesting to see what quality of draft assets the Hawks get offered in exchange for taking on bad contracts.

With some teams absolutely desperate, I would imagine a good negotiator would net valuable picks to relieve a team of all that money.  I'm hoping Schlenk maximizes the return and doesn't just help said team for pennies on the dollar.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, deester11 said:

With some teams absolutely desperate, I would imagine a good negotiator would net valuable picks to relieve a team of all that money.  I'm hoping Schlenk maximizes the return and doesn't just help said team for pennies on the dollar.

1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

It'll be interesting to see what quality of draft assets the Hawks get offered in exchange for taking on bad contracts.

I hope so too. 1sts for our capspace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It would need to be with teams who are on the border of making the playoffs that need to open up money.  Personally, I'd rather get young players that can progress this atrocious process along rather than relying on draft picks to pan out.  Trey Lyles is a player that might interest Travis with his 38% three point shooting from this past season on a relatively high volume.  

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would want picks that are in the 2020 draft. We already have a potential three first rounds with Cavs Mavs and our own pick. Plus it would give the teams that are in tight cap situation a chance to get worse and give us a higher pick. Like if we make a trade with okc for example, the pick might be between 22-30 in 2019 but possibly 10-15 in 2020. 

I think we have to pick on a team that in which bank on their demise. ? 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Holding out for around a dozen-and-a-half QO decisions (not counting two-way contractors) over the next day-and-a-half.

Notables:

* Jabari Parker (Buckenholzers)

* Mahcus Smaht (Celtics)

* Nik Stauskas (Nets)

* Nemanja Bjelica (Wolves)

* Zach LaVine (Bulls)

* Bruno Caboclo (Kings)

* Shabazz Napier (Blazers)

* Clint Capela (Rockets)

* Montrezl Harrell (Clippers)

As was seemingly the case with Bebe, many teams are hesitant that a tendered RFA, having surveyed the field, might just go ahead and sign their QO, monkey-wrenching their team's cap situations shortly after free agency kicks off.

Bojan Bogdanovic's $10.5 mil contract gets guaranteed if he's not waived by the end of the day on Friday.

After agreeing to kick the can down the road a few more days, Isaiah Taylor gets $300k of his deal guaranteed if he isn't waived on or before Saturday.

And, as for the Options...

~lw3