• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bill Simmons on Doncic-Young: "One of the worst trades of the decade!"

NineOhTheRino

One thing I always wondered is what made Atlanta pull the trigger on this trade. I mean you have two players with similar strengths and weaknesses. Was the difference maker the extra lottery pick or the 3pt stroke or both ?

11 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

One thing I always wondered is what made Atlanta pull the trigger on this trade. I mean you have two players with similar strengths and weaknesses. Was the difference maker the extra lottery pick or the 3pt stroke or both ?

I’m also going to say that Trae is the better passer. Doncic is an exceptional passer and it is very much debatable but I’m going with Trae is a better passer and shooter and we got an extra pick.

Also, we have needed a quarterback to spearhead our franchise for the longest time known to man. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Schlenk is trying to build his version of the Warriors.  If the Hawks would've had the top pick, they probably still take Trae.

While I disagree with Simmons' take on the trade from an Atlanta - Dallas perspective, I do agree with him about the potential impact of Schröder on the Thunder.  Schröder and Russell WILL PLAY in crunch time, especially in situations whether they're not playing a big, high scoring backcourt.

Dennis may very well win 6th Man of the Year next season.

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Schlenk is trying to build his version of the Warriors.  If the Hawks would've had the top pick, they probably still take Trae.

While I disagree with Simmons' take on the trade from an Atlanta - Dallas perspective, I do agree with him about the potential impact of Schröder on the Thunder.  Schröder and Russell WILL PLAY in crunch time, especially in situations whether they're not playing a big, high scoring backcourt.

Dennis may very well win 6th Man of the Year next season.

that's scary.   Curry and Thompson is an all time great backcourt.  That is not something that can be easily copied.  

• Moderators

Unless there are non-basketball issues with either of these guys, there is no way this could come close to the worst trade of the decade, century, or whatever.   Is Trae going to be totally useless?  Doubtful.  Worst case Trae struggles, Doncic is solid but we still get another, pretty high first rounder out of it.   How is that the "worst" in a league full of horrible trades.   How's that Cavs-Lakers trade looking?   You know Clarkson/Nance for Lebron/2 expirings and a 1st?

• Like 3

On 8/6/2018 at 9:58 PM, Spud2nique said:

I’m also going to say that Trae is the better passer. Doncic is an exceptional passer and it is very much debatable but I’m going with Trae is a better passer and shooter and we got an extra pick.

Also, we have needed a quarterback to spearhead our franchise for the longest time known to man. 

This daft reminds me so much of the 2005 draft just as others have said. We had a chance then to take two potential franchise changing guards but instead chased a unicorn in Marvin Williams. The smaller PG turned out to be best of them all.

This year we had a chance at two potential franchise changing guards and a unicorn. We took the smaller guard over Doncic and the unicorn in JJJ. Doncic has as a good a chance as sticking as Deron; but just like CP3 was the better PG back then, I think Trae is the better PG now, Memphis, good luck with your unicorn.

I like Doncic for his size and maturity at such a young age but IMO Trae is the better pure PG. With the apparent plan to trade Dennis all along, we did about as well as could be expected in this draft. Not even close to a worse trade in any year unless it turns out that way for Big D.

Imagine this on draft night in 2005, the rights to CP3 being traded and they threw in a top five protected 1st to get the rights for Deron. Something like this is what we could be talking about five years from now,

• Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 8:45 AM, macdaddy said:

Unless there are non-basketball issues with either of these guys, there is no way this could come close to the worst trade of the decade, century, or whatever.   Is Trae going to be totally useless?  Doubtful.  Worst case Trae struggles, Doncic is solid but we still get another, pretty high first rounder out of it.   How is that the "worst" in a league full of horrible trades.   How's that Cavs-Lakers trade looking?   You know Clarkson/Nance for Lebron/2 expirings and a 1st?

You just couldn't resist could you?  Paging spud ....

21 hours ago, AHF said:

I wasn't enamored with the trade on draft night but 100% agree on this.  That pick could realistically turn into a better player than either Young or Doncic if they don't bust out to their ceiling.  Saying "worst" move in a decade is just click-bait style exaggeration.

Eggsactly which is why I hope we ignore/stop talking about Simmons and his crap.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You just couldn't resist could you?  Paging spud ....

Eggsactly which is why I hope we ignore/stop talking about Simmons and his crap.

Well I deliberately left out the Kyrie trade because im worried about spud's blood pressure.  But the truth is the Cavs traded Kyrie, Lebron, and a 1st for Clarkson, Nance, Sexton.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

This daft reminds me so much of the 2005 draft just as others have said. We had a chance then to take two potential franchise changing guards but instead chased a unicorn in Marvin Williams. The smaller PG turned out to be best of them all.

This year we had a chance at two potential franchise changing guards and a unicorn. We took the smaller guard over Doncic and the unicorn in JJJ. Doncic has as a good a chance as sticking as Deron; but just like CP3 was the better PG back then, I think Trae is the better PG now, Memphis, good luck with your unicorn.

I like Doncic for his size and maturity at such a young age but IMO Trae is the better pure PG. With the apparent plan to trade Dennis all along, we did about as well as could be expected in this draft. Not even close to a worse trade in any year unless it turns out that way for Big D.

Imagine this on draft night in 2005, the rights to CP3 being traded and they threw in a top five protected 1st to get the rights for Deron. Something like this is what we could be talking about five years from now,

Agreed we got the cp3 of the draft and a pick to boot! Yes sir!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Well I deliberately left out the Kyrie trade because im worried about spud's blood pressure.  But the truth is the Cavs traded Kyrie, Lebron, and a 1st for Clarkson, Nance, Sexton.   

I’m convulsing involuntarily... is thisnthe revenge of Brad or something carried out by Mac d. Don’t package Lebron into that trade. That’s some fantasy stuff, you’d do ok if our SDD! (Squawk dynasty draft).

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 8/8/2018 at 11:12 AM, Spud2nique said:

I’m convulsing involuntarily... is thisnthe revenge of Brad or something carried out by Mac d. Don’t package Lebron into that trade. That’s some fantasy stuff, you’d do ok if our SDD! (Squawk dynasty draft).

Ha!  I too dumb to understand how the dynasty draft works.  And I'm not good with deadlines. 

• Admin

I did not like the trade either.  I think it was a mistake but I don't think it was the worst of the century.  I have however accepted that is done and have moved on.  I was also very impressed with Trae's passing during SL which helped.

• Like 3