• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Things I'm hearing

thecampster

RUMORS:  They're everywhere!  They're everywhere!  Panic !!

Oh boy.  I'm glad our GM and staff are in control of the Hawks part of the draft.  We hear all kinds of wild, weird stuff.  And, some of it may be true.  Hawks have so any assets right now.  Three in the first and three in the second.  Sounds like the Braves recent outbursts!  Then, there is all that juicy cap space to take on a bad contract or two for more assets.

Will we or will we not?  Can we or can't we?  Should we or should we think twice?  We may all be a nervous wreck by the end of Thursday night.  Meanwhile, Hawks GM is as cool as the other side of the pillow.  Hurry up and do something!  No, wait, don't do that.  What did you do that for?

:clapping:

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, smoove31210 said:

A friend just sent me this but I cannot find any merit to it?????

Hawks Receive: PF -  Aaron Gordon

Magic Receive: PG Mike Conley, No. 17 pick (via Nets)

Grizzlies Receive: SG - Kent Bazemore, PG - D.J. Augustin, No 10 pick (via Mavericks)

No merit.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JTB said:

I saw that the hawks and Cavs are talking love + their 5th pick for our 10 and 17.....I’m not sure how realistic this is but not a bad deal 

My one guy sent me a cryptic message that quoted a previous message years back to him about my wanting Love as a Hawk and all he said after he quoted was "you might get  your wish. stay tuned."

Take it for what it is worth.

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

My one guy sent me a cryptic message that quoted a previous message years back to him about my wanting Love as a Hawk and all he said after he quoted was "you might get  your wish. stay tuned."

Take it for what it is worth.

nnnn.gif

• Haha 3

So I just did some math.  We can't trade 10 + 17 for Love +5.  The move would put us $4.5 million over the cap for next year. We would need to include a bit less than 5 million in salary back to the Cavs.  The only single players that fit this bill are Baze, Plumlee and Young (uh...no Young is not happening). However Len + any other player gets it done salary cap wise. Of the other 4 players on the roster, only Bembry and Spellman would be sacrified.  FYI, the cap hold for 10 + 17 is almost exactly the cap hold of 5.  Including Len and either would be robbery so it has to be Baze or Plumlee.  In such a scenario, they'd save about 17 million in cap space this year but their LT savings would be over $50 million. Honestly, if Love wasn't so good, it would still be robbery to save them that much and give up both picks.

So any deal involving Love is probably

10+17+ Plumlee for

5 + Love

So for anyone wondering why we would take on Love's salary.  In the above deal, we are only taking on an additional 16 million in salary. After the season, Baze, Crabbe and Bembry all come off the books to return $39 million cap room.  Effectively going forward, Love is paid for through expiring contracts and he has value at every trade deadline if we aren't contenders by then to a contender.

Post trade we would look like this

Young, Adams, ???

Huerter, Bembry, 8

Crabbe, Bazemore, 5

Collins, Love

Len, Spellman

12 spots filled, 3 to sign but 3 - 2nd round picks left, 7 million in cap space. All numbers at this point are estimated.  If Len stays, no clue where/when Love plays. He could play the 5 and Len is 1st off the bench. Then Love comes back in to spell Collins. But that's a story for another night.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So I just did some math.  We can't trade 10 + 17 for Love +5.  The move would put us $4.5 million over the cap for next year. We would need to include a bit less than 5 million in salary back to the Cavs.  The only single players that fit this bill are Baze, Plumlee and Young (uh...no Young is not happening). However Len + any other player gets it done salary cap wise. Of the other 4 players on the roster, only Bembry and Spellman would be sacrified.  FYI, the cap hold for 10 + 17 is almost exactly the cap hold of 5.  Including Len and either would be robbery so it has to be Baze or Plumlee.  In such a scenario, they'd save about 17 million in cap space this year but their LT savings would be over $50 million. Honestly, if Love wasn't so good, it would still be robbery to save them that much and give up both picks.

10+17+ Plumlee for

5 + Love

So for anyone wondering why we would take on Love's salary.  In the above deal, we are only taking on an additional 16 million in salary. After the season, Baze, Crabbe and Bembry all come off the books to return $39 million cap room.  Effectively going forward, Love is paid for through expiring contracts and he has value at every trade deadline if we aren't contenders by then to a contender.

From my perspective, they are taking on a lot more than $16M (I'd say that is only for this season) and the $30M/year cap space that Love represents going forward is a negative value proposition ala Bazemore's deal.  If we were going to take on Love, we'd need to be paid for doing it with future picks.

Schlenk has been eager to take on short-term contracts but this would be the first big money, long-term deal since Plumlee if he did it.  Schlenk would need to believe in Love and get sufficient consideration from Cleveland.

Yah, it isn't a good deal when you consider the luxury tax we are saving them and his fit but the question is...what are you going to do with that $30 million.  Do you think you're going to get a top 25 vet to sign here?  If you see a big time vet next year signing here, then sure save it...but if not...there is no reason not to spend it on one packaged to you.  Make the trade and assuming none of our F/A next year is resigned...here is your cap situation + love.  There is still $56 million left.

Cap:
$ 116,000,000
Tax:
$ 141,000,000
Cap:
$ 121,800,000
Tax:
$ 148,050,000
Total Salary: $ 119,520,098 $ 85,417,988 $ 29,506,706 $ 41,024,090
Cap Room: $-17,651,098 $ 23,582,012 $ 86,493,294 $ 80,775,910
Luxury Tax Room: $ 4,212,902 $ 58,639,012 $ 125,540,698 $ 131,881,327
Payment: $ 0 $ 0 $ 0 $ 0
Apron Room: $ 10,296,945 $ 55,290,397 $ 125,371,585

those 2 cap boxes should be over columns 3 and 4.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, thecampster said:

10+17+ Plumlee for

5 + Love

Post trade we would look like this

Young, Adams, ???

Huerter, Bembry, 8

Crabbe, Bazemore, 5

Collins, Love

Len, Spellman

12 spots filled, 3 to sign but 3 - 2nd round picks left, 7 million in cap space. All numbers at this point are estimated.  If Len stays, no clue where/when Love plays. He could play the 5 and Len is 1st off the bench. Then Love comes back in to spell Collins. But that's a story for another night.

You forgot to add...this year. Plus 3 more years at close to $90 million. Last 3 seasons he's played 60, 59 and 21 games - i don't see him playing more famescas he ages.

IIRC, there is talk about bringing back the Amnesty provision at the next Board of Governors meeting, he'd be a prime candidate.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Yah, it isn't a good deal when you consider the luxury tax we are saving them and his fit but the question is...what are you going to do with that $30 million.  Do you think you're going to get a top 25 vet to sign here?  If you see a big time vet next year signing here, then sure save it...but if not...there is no reason not to spend it on one packaged to you.  Make the trade and assuming none of our F/A next year is resigned...here is your cap situation + love.  There is still $56 million left.

Cap:
$ 116,000,000
Tax:
$ 141,000,000
Cap:
$ 121,800,000
Tax:
$ 148,050,000
Total Salary: $ 119,520,098 $ 85,417,988 $ 29,506,706 $ 41,024,090
Cap Room: $-17,651,098 $ 23,582,012 $ 86,493,294 $ 80,775,910
Luxury Tax Room: $ 4,212,902 $ 58,639,012 $ 125,540,698 $ 131,881,327
Payment: $ 0 $ 0 $ 0 $ 0
Apron Room: $ 10,296,945 $ 55,290,397 $ 125,371,585

those 2 cap boxes should be over columns 3 and 4.

It doesn't have to be a top 25 FA vet.

What if it's a disgruntled vet or a young player like say KAT becomes available.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

There will be more to the Love + 5 for 10/17 than just that I would imagine. From the sounds of it, It's going to cost the Cavs some assets. 

Good let’s steal us a few draft picks! 

I think the right to switch draft positions for Cavs  1st round 2020 & 2021 pick +  the Cavs 2022 top 5 protected should do the trick.

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Good let’s steal us a few draft picks! 

I think the right to switch draft positions for Cavs  1st round 2020 & 2021 pick +  the Cavs 2022 top 5 protected should do the trick.

Cleveland has shown no interest which is why it's at a standstill. Atlanta wants a better deal, Cleveland wants a better deal. For them to come to a solution, I think Cleveland is going to have to lower their expectations. Love's 120 is toxic, it's not J.R. 5 mil or Delly 8. It's seen as toxic. Not because he is a bad player. It's cause he has played 140 games in the last three RS years making prime All Star money when he is leaving his prime at least perceived. 

There not getting 8. Atlanta is not getting future assets. They must come to an agreement or no deal. 

Just now, capstone21 said:

Yeah, offer a couple seconds for Frank.  I love that he is such a great defender... doesn’t have a jump shot but that can be worked on 

Yup I’d do it ! I wonder if schlenk likes him or sees him as a fit. Either way it’s a nice way to get a nice return for some of those 2nds

Although Atlanta has refused, we might want to consider being open to trading CLE 2020 1st back to them. Taking on money is stupid and we gonna need so many assets. The rest they have aren't worth it. Yeah, this might be something to consider even if Atlanta doesn't want to.