• Momentane Spendenziele

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

Preseason Game #3: Hawks at Heat 10/14/19

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Like that Tyler Herro kid?

We needed long wings who could defend. Not another short armed 2 guard... We can score, we just cant stop anybody..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Kings beat Jazz, Dedmon +12 3 steals and 2 assists, no turnovers. 

THey won because of Heild and Bagley tonight...Moreso than DEdmon.  Hes surely missed in Atlanta though.....lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

I am not going to let these preseason games worry me. Come the regular season, if we still do not have Huerter and Crabbe contributing, I will be worried about how we will start the season. In the plus/minus: Trae 0, Collins -2, Len -3, Vince -7. Everyone else was in double figures minus and all three of our rooks had a horrible night.

Miami on the other hand came out firing with the best parts of their rotation and it showed. Herro can flat out score but I doubt he does anything else consistently; especially like tonight and his five boards.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bleachkit said:

So what's the answer for our defensive woes? Is there an answer?

An experienced center like Adams would help some things to start and the reason he keeps getting mentioned because he’s available. Other than that collins has to really come into his shooting skillset when odds of strength are against him in my opinion as well as continue the constant off ball movement.

one thing I don’t understand through this rebuilding process is how young players are going to get better when strength is an issue at certain spots on the roster. Young need to get stronger too but as a point guard he’s going to have a lot more leeway than a big man that need to add on muscle. I just don’t get how you can get better defensively as a unit when strength is your biggest issue! I mean all you can say as coach is literally “get stronger” ....do we really expect these young guys or anyone  to build some major muscle during a season ?????

i keep telling people and mark my words we get outmuscled by majority opponents and it won’t be as fun to watch this team as it happens 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We are running vanilla sets. We aren't good enough to win with these types of sets. We need to have maximum spacing. We don't have good enough shooters outside of Trae to really get away with that. 

Miami actually ran a couple of sets I seen them use last year when they had Wade for Herro. 

The one thing I can say is outside of Cam and Hunter, our perimeter man defense is TRASH. Dragic and many of the bench players for Miami were getting so many open looks while their starters had to work for it.

I dont understand this vanilla sets thing.  I understand we have rooks and young players but damn it looks like the coaching staff doesn't have a freaking clue.  

19 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I dont understand this vanilla sets thing.  I understand we have rooks and young players but damn it looks like the coaching staff doesn't have a freaking clue.  

It means we are running normal NBA sets. We are not running the sets we ran last year in the 2nd half. These are more simplified sets so we won't have so many communication lapses. To a degree, it has worked but we still have a lot of players making bad decisions. Taking poor angles and not instinctively playing Basketball. A lot of thinking going on out there. 

My feel is, LP doesn't think they are ready yet.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It means we are running normal NBA sets. We are not running the sets we ran last year in the 2nd half. These are more simplified sets so we won't have so many communication lapses. To a degree, it has worked but we still have a lot of players making bad decisions. Taking poor angles and not instinctively playing Basketball. A lot of thinking going on out there. 

My feel is, LP doesn't think they are ready yet.

Believe it or not I’m not worried about the offense clicking . New young players (rookies), 2nd year players, 3rd and 4th year players still adjusting to the nba. 

they will get the offense down before the defense that’s for sure. They need some time to play together and learn each other then we’ll see more advanced like sets 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I think I'd rather have Herro personally.

At this point in time there is no question Herro is better, but will he be better 5 years down the line.?I know Herro has been impressive, but he is one of the least long players in the entire NBA. I am skeptical whether he can be anything more than the next Ben Gordon. Of course he looked brilliant against Trae Young today but Trae could very well be the shortest player (in terms of arm length) that will guard him the entire season. Does Herro have the ball-handling and shiftiness to get his shot off against taller players day in day out? That is the question.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I see some people really overreacting to Herro having a great preseason game.  I like him a lot and view him like Kevin but he will have his struggles this year too.  

For winning games, there is no doubt that we will badly miss Dedmon this season.  Also underrated is the downgrade from Baze to Turner (who somehow managed a -16 mark in only 9 minutes).  

Some of our issues are fixable.  The vanilla sets needs more substance to them but that will take some time given the number of new faces and inexperienced players.  Our wing rotation will be dramatically improved with Huerter and Crabbe added to the mix so you can sit a struggling rookie down and give him direction and so you can play him with more limited assignments and responsibilities.  I expect the offensive and defensive rotations to improve in reliability, decision-making and complexity as the season progresses.  Will likely be a rough start to the season but no reason to think there is no upside there.

Some issues are going to be season-long absent a change in personnel.  Our front court looked terrible on paper after JC and nothing in the pre-season has changed that -- to the contrary, it seems more clear than ever that we will need some player development from our bigs if we don't want to take a big step back in that department from last year.  I do think Len can do more than we've seen from him and am optimistic about Bruno long-term.  Wasn't a believer in Jones before we saw him and I'll just say that I hope that stuart and Spud turn out to be correct in the long run.

It sure would be nice to see the team start playing competitively at the least before the preseason is over.  I'm not a believer that preseason games mean much of anything but from a sheer entertainment perspective this has been without an alibi.  

It was evident to me that the roster as is was going to take more than a little time to gel. It's why the 44 win predictions seemed a little outlandish to me. We won't start 2-18 or whatever it was we started last year but, but expect some big-time early-season growing pains from a team of mostly extremely young rookies and two/three-year players.  I think it will require us to catch fire in the second half and probably a move or two for us to be able to grab the eighth seed this year. I'm not sure whether it would be more prudent to just give the rookies a lot of playing time this season and add another lottery pick this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

It was evident to me that the roster as is was going to take more than a little time to gel. It's why the 44 win predictions seemed a little outlandish to me. We won't start 2-18 or whatever it was we started last year but, but expect some big-time early-season growing pains from a team of mostly extremely young rookies and two/three-year players.  I think it will require us to catch fire in the second half and probably a move or two for us to be able to grab the eighth seed this year. I'm not sure whether it would be more prudent to just give the rookies a lot of playing time this season and add another lottery pick this year. 

I think that is what we'll end up doing regardless.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I like Cam , nice kid. Team guy. But I have a feeling we might end up wishing we had taken someone else at #10. 

Based off of preseason where he hasnt been able to play basketball all summer? Damn..

• Like 1