Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

Here's some interesting stats.  Trae has played in 28 games as of this writing. Hawks are 13-15 in those games. 

Regarding 3pt Shooting:

• Hawks are 3-13 when he shoots < 40% from 3pt
  • Hawks are 10-2 when he shoots 40% or better from 3pt
  • In 13 W's:  Trae avg 7.1 attempts from 3pt
  • In 15 L's:  Trae avg 5.5 attempts from 3Pt
  • Hawks are 5-1 when he makes 4 or more 3pt (only loss by 1 to Mavs)
  • Hawks are 9-4 when he makes 3 or more 3pt (L's to BKN at home, Dal x 2, and Bos)

Finally, regarding assists:

• Hawks are 4-10 when Trae logs double digit assists
  • In the 4 W's, he shot 40% or better from 3pt in all 4
  • In the 10 L's, he shot 40% or better from 3pt only 2 times (Bos and Clev)
  • Hawks are 9-5 when he has 9 or fewer assists
  • In 9 W's, he shot 40% or higher 6 times
  • In the 5 L's, he shot 40% or higher ZERO times

So whoop dee do, what does it all mean?  To me, it seems to confirm a lot of our suspicions that Trae's scoring and 3pt shooting in particular have a MUCH greater impact on the Hawks W/L than his assists (facilitating) do.   

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

Here's some interesting stats.  Trae has played in 28 games as of this writing. Hawks are 13-15 in those games. 

Regarding 3pt Shooting:

• Hawks are 9-4 when he makes 3 or more 3pt (L's to BKN at home, Dal x 2, and Bos)

So whoop dee do, what does it all mean?  To me, it seems to confirm a lot of our suspicions that Trae's scoring and 3pt shooting in particular have a MUCH greater impact on the Hawks W/L than his assists (facilitating) do.   

To me this means 2 things

- Trae is our most important scorer

- We win when other guys are making plays and making passes rather than just jacking up whatever Trae T's them up (hence more wins when he has lower assist numbers.  I bet those 'hockey assists' are high in those wins)

• Like 4

Straight from the worthless stats department:   

Hawks now 11-2 when Trae shoots 40.0% or better from 3pt range.  

Hawks now 10-5 when Trae logs 9 or fewer assists. 

Hawks are now 13-6 when Trae's PPS is 1.30 or better.  

I say worthless stats because while I find these interesting, the sample size is so small I'm not sure whether there's actual correlation or not.  

A discussion about NBA ratings and nat'l tv games, etc. on NBARadio a couple minutes ago.  Host said the NBA "missed a huge opportunity by not putting Trae/Hawks on national TV like they did with Zion".

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47w8hsbth1zh32g5lu55

To my surprise, the league didn't cut the guy's feed.

ETA: They weren't discussing the Hawks game at all, just talking about the league in general.  Made it even more shocking to get a mention.

Edited by kg01
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2021 at 10:43 AM, REHawksFan said:

Regarding 3pt Shooting:

Great digging.  You don’t have to look up the results based on TOs to know we’re much better when he’s around 2 than 5.  Those live ball TOs kill us as he’s useless in transition.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, terrell said:
Steve Nash praises Luka Doncic’s playmaking and ability to draw fouls

WOW!! Really?

Seriously is it Trae’s face? Why don’t Nash, Curry and some other seem to like Trae. Must be jealousy. Nobody hated on these lil $hits when they were up and coming and now everyone wants to hate on Trae. It only means he’s gonna crush any records set by Nash and Curry. 

Ive always hated Curry but was indifferent to Nash. Now I’m starting to see his ugly side. It’s ok Stevie, it all comes from fear.

9 hours ago, terrell said:
Steve Nash praises Luka Doncic’s playmaking and ability to draw fouls

WOW!! Really?

Steve Nash also praised Trae. Nash was caught on a hot mic complaining to an official about the calls, he never publicly criticized the calls. Complaining about calls is part of the job, you're have to look at the context of when and where it was said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30977477/james-harden-sings-praises-luka-doncic-mavs-got-specal-one

I have noticed that Doncic gets praise from peers, but Trae doesn't. Personality has to be part of it too. Luka never toots his own horn. During his rookie year, Luka never publicly campaigned for rookie of the year, but Trae openly said he felt he deserved it. When Luka struggles he admits he struggles, when the team wins he praises the team, not himself. Trae seems to be more prickly and not willing to admit faults as readily. He plays the "I'm being disrespected card" instead of the "how can i be better" card. Other players notice these things. Quite frankly, it's not easy for a White Euro to win over American Black players, but he is because of his game of course, but also his personality and approach. 

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30977477/james-harden-sings-praises-luka-doncic-mavs-got-specal-one

I have noticed that Doncic gets praise from peers, but Trae doesn't. Personality has to be part of it too. Luka never toots his own horn. During his rookie year, Luka never publicly campaigned for rookie of the year, but Trae openly said he felt he deserved it. When Luka struggles he admits he struggles, when the team wins he praises the team, not himself. Trae seems to be more prickly and not willing to admit faults as readily. He plays the "I'm being disrespected card" instead of the "how can i be better" card. Other players notice these things. Quite frankly, it's not easy for a White Euro to win over American Black players, but he is because of his game of course, but also his personality and approach. 

That’s a good point. But it is also the reason why I think Trae is the perfect fit for Atlanta. This team has been overlooked, underestimated, and has never really won anything of significance. Nobody is going to heap praises on a team or a player who hasn't done that.  But Trae has the guts to stand up for himself and the city until we can win it all. I love it. 

4 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

That’s a good point. But it is also the reason why I think Trae is the perfect fit for Atlanta. This team has been overlooked, underestimated, and has never really won anything of significance. Nobody is going to heap praises on a team or a player who hasn't done that.  But Trae has the guts to stand up for himself and the city until we can win it all. I love it. 

Disagree. Keep your head down and stay humble. Playing the disrespected card is so old and tired.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Disagree. Keep your head down and stay humble. Playing the disrespected card is so old and tired.

Thats the thing. He is humble and is a great kid. But nobody is out there disrespecting Luka so he doesn't have to defend himself. It is easy to be humble when you are compared to Larry Bird. Trae has rejected the comparison to him and Steph a thousand times humbly.  Trae put up better more efficient numbers this year and they say he is the 11th best guard in the east?  Come on man.  Check Trae’s response, super humble. Atlanta doesn't have the luxury of laying low because no one outside of Atlanta will know what we have here. 

• Premium Member

Trae has probably been discounted his whole life because of his size. He's had more to prove thru High School, College and even getting drafted into the NBA and being called a bust from his Summer League struggles - Let Trae be Trae.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Thats the thing. He is humble and is a great kid. But nobody is out there disrespecting Luka so he doesn't have to defend himself. It is easy to be humble when you are compared to Larry Bird. Trae has rejected the comparison to him and Steph a thousand times humbly.  Trae put up better more efficient numbers this year and they say he is the 11th best guard in the east?  Come on man.  Check Trae’s response, super humble. Atlanta doesn't have the luxury of laying low because no one outside of Atlanta will know what we have here. 

Is Milwaukee a big market? I would say Giannis is a fairly big star.  Atlanta is decent sized enough market. The Atlanta thing is overblown. If you're a true star, stardom will find you.