• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I think it's pretty fair to say that Luka is better than Trae and likely will always be better than Trae

NBASupes

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

I love Trae, he's the man. But ascribing race as the reason Luka is getting "favorable" calls is total fking BS. I'm a truth telling first, Hawks fan second. 

There is zero evidence the league props up white players. ZERO. White Euros are the least marketed demographic in the NBA. Is Jokic heavily marketed? Was Dirk heavily marketed? No not at all. Players far less accomplished than Dirk got more significant shoe deals and endorsements. But a young charismatic player that happens to be white comes along and is dropping unprecedented numbers and is making an otherwise mediocre team competitive, and it can be readily dismissed as "great white hope" hype from the league? GTFOH with that BS.

Just saying keep that same energy for Trae.  You always seem to see what he can improve on instead of stanning for him against some of the BS that's been thrown around in this thread.  

The truth is they both are great! 

Just stand up for Trae is all I'm saying.  

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Just saying keep that same energy for Trae.  You always seem to see what he can improve on instead of stanning for him against some of the BS that's been thrown around in this thread.  

The truth is they both are great! 

Just stand up for Trae is all I'm saying.  

You know know what I won't do? When Trae becomes the huge generational Megastar that he has the talent and ambition to become. I won't dismiss the shine he's getting because the league just wants a biracial star, and then make the laughable claim that officials are giving him favorable calls because he's biracial and then try to pass my divisive prejudiced homer opinions off as some kind of insightful social commentary. Instead, I will just say props to Trae for his greatness.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

You know know what I won't do? When Trae becomes the huge generational Megastar that he has the talent and ambition to become. I won't dismiss the shine he's getting because the league just wants a biracial star, and then make the laughable claim that officials are giving him favorable calls because he's biracial and then try to pass my divisive prejudiced homer opinions off as some kind of insightful social commentary. Instead, I will just say props to Trae for his greatness.

Are you calling Luka a generational megastar already? If so, please pump the breaks. Neither he nor Trae are those things, yet. 

Just saying why weren't you so passionate about Trae when someone said he'd NEVER be better than Luka.  Since you're such a truth speaker, you should have been the first to chime in to say," we don't know who will be better because we can't predict the future."  Hell Kevin Huerter could be better than both, who knows? But, you didn't seem to have too much a problem with that comment.

Also, I don't think Luka is being propped up by the league, but he does get additional attention because he's young and white and doing the things he's doing in a league full of black superstars.  From a marketing standpoint, I'd jump all over that as the NBA.  It's t like Serena and Venus.  Tiger.  They are good in their own right, but because they are different from what you are used to seeing , as a league you would want to capitalize on that and market it. 

It's not just because he's white.  It's because he's white and incredibly good.

16 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Are you calling Luka a generational megastar already? If so, please pump the breaks. Neither he nor Trae are those things, yet. 

Just saying why weren't you so passionate about Trae when someone said he'd NEVER be better than Luka.  Since you're such a truth speaker, you should have been the first to chime in to say," we don't know who will be better because we can't predict the future."  Hell Kevin Huerter could be better than both, who knows? But, you didn't seem to have too much a problem with that comment.

Also, I don't think Luka is being propped up by the league, but he does get additional attention because he's young and white and doing the things he's doing in a league full of black superstars.  From a marketing standpoint, I'd jump all over that as the NBA.  It's t like Serena and Venus.  Tiger.  They are good in their own right, but because they are different from what you are used to seeing , as a league you would want to capitalize on that and market it. 

It's not just because he's white.  It's because he's white and incredibly good.

I don't know what the future holds. That's not what I'm discussing or saying. What I'm saying is if someone was claiming that Trae was not only getting favorable marketing, but favorable calls from NBA officials on account of him being biracial, that would be offensive and outrageous and false. That was the claim that was made about Luka by a prominent squawker and reviewed numerous likes. To suggest that NBA referees have been given instructions to officiate Luka differently, and that the league made a calculated decision to do that on account of him being white is offensive, completely unsubstantiated, racist in nature, and wrong. Period.

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

OY!  

Are you standing by your remarks that NBA referees have been instructed to officiate Luka differently so that the league can help prop up a white superstar?That's an outrageous claim. If the answer is yes, I'm not going to let you live this down 

Hello old friends. I come in peace as a Mavericks fanboy this time and a Hawks follower to give my 2 cents.

What people need to understand about Luka Doncic, is that he is doing what he is doing with greate ease and strong body. People talk about him being unathletic, but he is physically encredibly gifted(points to Emelianenko avatar for another of those unlikely examples)...Luka is heavy set, yet fast. He is tall enough to pass over double teams, unlike Trae or Harden. And most of all, he has that 10°/quarterback gene.

He makes other players better while taking the load...Trae should learn from that. I too find the Mavs roster a bit better and seasoned, but guys like Finney-Smith and Powell get to play within themselves and play to their strengths...while the years before they where all over the place taking bad shots.

So the biggest difference to me regarding Luka and Trae is that Luka also makes his teammates better like a true genetic 10°/quarterback. While much of Traes numbers come from the entire Hawks operation running for Trae...kinda like Allen Iverson, only that Trae doesnt have that physical talent. Which is the way to go to build up the fascinating asset that is Trae Young, but Luka is lightyears ahead because of the factors mentioned. He gets his numbers while making everyone around him better, not the other way around...

Big difference...

• Moderators
1 minute ago, DS17Fanboy said:

Hello old friends. I come in peace as a Mavericks fanboy this time and a Hawks follower to give my 2 cents.

What people need to understand about Luka Doncic, is that he is doing what he is doing with greate ease and strong body. People talk about him being unathletic, but he is physically encredibly gifted(points to Emelianenko avatar for another of those unlikely examples)...Luka is heavy set, yet fast. He is tall enough to pass over double teams, unlike Trae or Harden. And most of all, he has that 10°/quarterback gene.

He makes other players better while taking the load...Trae should learn from that. I too find the Mavs roster a bit better and seasoned, but guys like Finney-Smith and Powell get to play within themselves and play to their strengths...while the years before they where all over the place taking bad shots.

So the biggest difference to me regarding Luka and Trae is that Luka also makes his teammates better like a true genetic 10°/quarterback. While much of Traes numbers come from the entire Hawks operation running for Trae...kinda like Allen Iverson, only that Trae doesnt have that physical talent. Which is the way to go to build up the fascinating asset that is Trae Young, but Luka is lightyears ahead because of the factors mentioned. He gets his numbers while making everyone around him better, not the other way around...

Big difference...

It's also a lot easier when you're surrounded by veterans players, have Rick Carisle as your HC, and have another quality All-Star (Porzingis) to play with as opposed to Trae who is surrounded by raw talent, injuries/suspensions, and has-beens. I believe if Trae had a guy like Porzingis, Thompson, or KAT to go to bat with, our record would be reverse what it is today and we'd have an honest shot at the playoffs.

When it comes to Trae vs. Luka discussions, I believe they are a wash because both players are superstar caliber players that hurt the opposition in numerous ways.  The biggest improvement for Trae has been his defense and once he has talent around him, he'll stop turning the ball over and become a more patient player.

• Like 2

Mavs are one of the youngest teams in the league...Porzingis isnt really a big factor offensively right now. He is really bad in the post. But indeed, he would help any team on defense. And that is big, but otherwise these Mavs players have been really mediocre at best last years. The difference is that they play within themselves with Luka around. They didnt with Carlysle previous years...

Like a THJ, who who all know well....well with Luka, he doesnt get to create anymore and hes fine with it as Luka finds him where he is good. Resulting in THJ having the lowest TO rate on the team and in his career. Stuff like that....or Powell whos usage rate is way down, but is actually masterful on switches and general energy hustle....you got to have players buy in to those reduced roles and they will only do this effeciently when they know Luka will add to their value...

• Moderators

Injecting race in this is outright stupid.  How many Euros have been high draft picks without this success or hype?  A lot.  Because they weren’t white enough?  No.  Because they weren’t this good and this charismatic.  The hating needs to stop.

it is like some of you never watched the hype trains for Grant Hill, Wade, Magic, etc.  Players come along regularly who get this hype.  They range from good to all-time greats and the hype either builds or tails off depending on their level of success.

If this was primarily about whiteness, you would have seen this hype for a bunch of other, lesser players.  You didn’t.  It is because of the hype train he already established in Europe ala LeBron in HS (all-time greats at those levels and already household names for years among NBA fans) and the success he has had over his brief NBA career to date.

Making this seem like he wouldn’t be a star if he was another race comes across as the most ugly and sour of grapes.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, AHF said:

Injecting race in this is outright stupid.  How many Euros have been high draft picks without this success or hype?  A lot.  Because they weren’t white enough?  No.  Because they weren’t this good and this charismatic.  The hating needs to stop.

it is like some of you never watched the hype trains for Grant Hill, Wade, Magic, etc.  Players come along regularly who get this hype.  They range from good to all-time greats and the hype either builds or tails off depending on their level of success.

If this was primarily about whiteness, you would have seen this hype for a bunch of other, lesser players.  You didn’t.  It is because of the hype train he already established in Europe ala LeBron in HS (all-time greats at those levels and already household names for years among NBA fans) and the success he has had over his brief NBA career to date.

Making this seem like he wouldn’t be a star if he was another race comes across as the most ugly and sour of grapes.

As I said before, we got some posters on this site that only see Doncic's skin color. First they said he was going to be a bust because of his skin color. Now that he's the MVP this season putting up numbers straight out of 2K they can't say that. Now its Doncic is getting favorable treatment BECAUSE of his skin color.

Laughable. These guys are letting their real feelings about race and basketball  be known. Apparently white people aren't allowed to be great in the NBA unless it is some kinda agenda by the league office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

As I said before, we got some posters on this site that only see Doncic's skin color. First they said he was going to be a bust because of his skin color. Now that he's the MVP this season putting up numbers straight out of 2K they can't say that. Now its Doncic is getting favorable treatment BECAUSE of his skin color.

Laughable. These guys are letting their real feelings about race and basketball  be known. Apparently white people aren't allowed to be great in the NBA unless it is some kinda agenda by the league office.

Yes cause we know how the league always hypes up white Euro players /s. Remember #1 overalls Bogut and Bargnani? I guess those hype trains never left the station. Thecampster even made the claim that the league has instructed officials to go easy on Luka to help their budding white star.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Yes cause we know how the league always hypes up white Euro players /s. Remember #1 overalls Bogut and Bargnani? I guess those hype trains never left the station. Thecampster even made the claim that the league has instructed officials to go easy on Luka to help their budding white star.

I'm not one of those posters. I think Luka's great. I was really pissed when the Hawks drafted Trae and renounced my fandom (funny enough one of my coworkers has the text and just pulls it up whenever I start stanning for Trae)  I will just NEVER say Luka will always be better than Trae.  None of you seem to have a problem with that, but I sure as hell do! It's like you'll get up in arms over someone saying that stupid stuff about Luka, which is clearly not true, but won't say a peep about that just as outlandish comment.   Just saying, stand up for your Hawks player.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, marco102 said:

I'm not one of those posters. I think Luka's great. I was really pissed when the Hawks drafted Trae and renounced my fandom (funny enough one of my coworkers has the text and just pulls it up whenever I start stanning for Trae)  I will just NEVER say Luka will always be better than Trae.  None of you seem to have a problem with that, but I sure as hell do! It's like you'll get up in arms over someone saying that stupid stuff about Luka, which is clearly not true, but won't say a peep about that just as outlandish comment.   Just saying, stand up for your Hawks player.

Dude, my stomach still hurts from all the crow I had to eat about Ice Trae. Thank goodness when he started showing he had the it factor in mid Dec. of last year I saw it. It changed my opinion then and I ate the crow. I wished him well before the season but his slow start had me all kinds of angry. 

So I'm there defending Ice Trae. He's amazing. He's a legit superstar. I don't know if he will ever be better than Luka but that's like comparing Shaq and Hakeem basically. Who was better? I mean I'd take Hakeem but you can make a case of Shaq easy. If this where those two guys end their careers I'm very happy to have that conversation...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

Dude, my stomach still hurts from all the crow I had to eat about Ice Trae. Thank goodness when he started showing he had the it factor in mid Dec. of last year I saw it. It changed my opinion then and I ate the crow. I wished him well before the season but his slow start had me all kinds of angry. 

So I'm there defending Ice Trae. He's amazing. He's a legit superstar. I don't know if he will ever be better than Luka but that's like comparing Shaq and Hakeem basically. Who was better? I mean I'd take Hakeem but you can make a case of Shaq easy. If this where those two guys end their careers I'm very happy to have that conversation...

I remember.  I told myself I would never let you live that down..lol.., but you've def come over to the good side of things.  You at least root for two young stars in Trae and KAT even Wiggins is much improved this season.

I wish KAT would demand a trade to the Hawks.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I remember.  I told myself I would never let you live that down..lol.., but you've def come over to the good side of things.  You at least root for two young stars in Trae and KAT even Wiggins is much improved this season.

I wish KAT would demand a trade to the Hawks.

He really wants to win a ring there. I respect him for that. Same with Greek Freak. 

Wiggins is playing great this year. There's a TON of posters on this board that owe me an apology for defending Wiggins.