• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Collins has to PROVE more! Sorry but the clock starts now...

JTB

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

LP said as much last year.

Sad really.

Yeah, it's interesting.  I think he could have an impact getting fed in the post.  But i'm also not sure this is exactly what it sounds like.  I mean there were plenty of times where there was an obvious play for him to take a wide open straight on 3.  And obviously the pick and roll in general is a play to get him a lob.   I think nba plays just aren't for specific individuals as much anymore.  I'm not sure Bud had any plays with anyone's name on them other than Korver.  It's the dribble, pass, shoot,  good shot for great shot flowing offense stuff.  Maybe....  I'm hoping anyway.

I've been a defender of sorts for LP but like all of us i think, if he loses the confidence of the team then: see ya.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

But i'm also not sure this is exactly what it sounds like.  I mean there were plenty of times where there was an obvious play for him to take a wide open straight on 3.  And obviously the pick and roll in general is a play to get him a lob. 

Perception is reality.  This is coming from the player himself!  If players continue to question LP then why are you guys still defending him?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Perception is reality.  This is coming from the player himself!  If players continue to question LP then why are you guys still defending him?

I don' tknow if you watched it but he wasn't questioning LP at all.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Steve Smith asked him whether LP ran plays for him and the answer was no

Well the answer was there aren't any plays with John collins on them.  But i missed the part where he seemed miffed about that and said it was a problem for him. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Well the answer was there aren't any plays with John collins on them.  But i missed the part where he seemed miffed about that and said it was a problem for him. 

Who Said John publicly criticized LP?  I said players have and then you find out that he isn't running plays for not only our most efficient player but the longest tenured core member, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out players aren't in love with him like some fans are.  Heck they even run plays for Vince in the post from time to time.  Also in the piece John made it clear that his natural position is power forward not center.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Who Said John publicly criticized LP. I said players have and then you find out that he isn't running plays for not only our most efficient player but the longest tenured core member, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out players aren't in love with him like some fans are.  Heck they even run plays for Vince in the post from time to time.  Also in the piece John made it clear that his natural position is power forward not center.

You did.  You said "This is coming from the player himself!  If players continue to question LP".    You said it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love John Collins. Don't give him the max but let's pay this man. He is a power forward and at 6-9 he couldn't play center fulltime. He can only play center against teams like Houston. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, TRW said:

I love John Collins. Don't give him the max but let's pay this man. He is a power forward and at 6-9 he couldn't play center fulltime. He can only play center against teams like Houston. 

Its not necessary that he play center at all.  Just get more centers!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

You did.  You said "This is coming from the player himself!  If players continue to question LP".    You said it. 

Kind of a head scratcher.

5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Who Said John publicly criticized LP. 

Ummm...k.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

From Last year:

Pierce has told several media outlets recently that he doesn’t call plays for his young star. The statement is grabbing attention as the second-year power forward piles up impressive statistics that include a double-double in eight of his past nine games.

“You guys, the media and the basketball people, you seem to like that quote,” Collins said with a smile when asked about his role in the offense Wednesday.

That doesn’t mean the Hawks offense isn’t designed for Collins. Quite the contrary.

The Hawks have plays that are specific to getting Collins in pick-and-roll situations. That’s where he thrives.

Pierce noted that players such as LaMarcus Aldridge or Joel Embiid will get calls to be isolated on a defender near the basket.

“We are not posting John,” Pierce said. “We need John in pick-and-rolls. I can just call a rub (play). It’s not for John, but it’s for John. He knows that. He understands that. He knows that as soon as he sets the screen and rolls, if they don’t help, the play is for him. 

“If they do help, he’s the assist guy. He’s the dive assist, the screen assist. The things we take merit in, he’s the guy who creates it, but it only happens because it’s John Collins. His dynamic side of rolling in the pick-and-roll is the play. It’s not ‘Hey, run the pick-and-roll and look for John.’”

Pierce then recounted a typical conversation with Collins. You figure it’s been had on numerous occasions.

Pierce: “John, what do we do with the switch?”

Collins: “Punish them.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-may-not-call-plays-for-john-collins-but-still-focal-point/afs0Ze3inY5bP56vSUL7kK/amp.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Explain?

I’m just saying or I didn’t say it yet but it takes a coach a minute to see what he’s workin with. I think next year will feature more of what worked and part of that was the Baptist getting plays drawn for him. Lloyd needed to see what everyone did. Now he will piece it together.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Head Scratcher??  I quoted @macdaddy refuting whether plays were being run for Collins by saying that Collin Himself said it.  How is this a head scratcher?  

I guess i'll break it down.

"This is coming from the player himself! (Collins)"   If players (refer to player in sentence 1<) continue to question LP then why are you guys still defending him?"

So you're saying that these two sentences DON'T mean Collins is questioning LP in your opinion?