• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Trade Ideas!

JayBirdHawk

13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

We will have an NBA radio 📻 show together one day, hey maybe TV 📺 cuz we’re incredibly good looking! This name thing you got goin is gold. I’m sorry it can’t go to waste!

It's a GT thang.  Just ask @lethalweapon3

Definitely TV, homes.  Guest spot from rando squawkers weekly.  If only to give them a chance to take a swang at kg, baybee.  Come at me, bras.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 12:24 AM, TRW said:

DeAndre Hunter, Kevin Huerter, Dewayne Dedmond, and a future 1st for Devin Booker. Booker isn't in his prime yet. He's only 25. I would move Cam to small forward. I would sign Gordon Hayward and bring in another big to backup Capela. If we win the lottery, I would take Edwards. If we're in the top three, I would take Wiseman.

PG Trae, Trey Burke?                                    SG Booker, Cam Reddish, A. Edwards?      SF Cam Reddish, Gordon Hayward.            PF John Collins, Skai?                                   C  Capela, Wiseman?

Booker(as much as I like him) or Beal for that matter paired with Trae? Wont work..Too bad defensively..   Jrue Holiday on the other hand............................................

On 4/19/2020 at 12:09 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Good call on Powell, Thad Young, Cory Joseph and Doug McD.

Detroit would be seeking a real asset in return

I don't see Clippers parting with Beverly for what's on the table.

Raptors love Powell...

• Premium Member

Thoughts? Would you?

The Perfect Trades to Land NBA Stars Their Ideal Sidekicks

Trae Young, Gary Harris Form New Hawks Backcourt

Atlanta Hawks Receive: SG Gary Harris

Denver Nuggets Receive: SG Kevin Huerter, C Dewayne Dedmon

Trae Young is already an All-Star starter at age 21, exhibiting some of the best scoring and passing chops in the NBA. While John Collins is growing into a bona fide second star, his scoring, rebounding and athleticism don't help cover for Young's biggest weakness: defense.

Young ranks dead last in ESPN's defensive real plus-minus (minus-3.12), not just among point guards but among all 503 registered NBA players. His small frame (6'1" with a 6'2" wingspan) is easy for opponents to both shoot over and drive past.

Harris would be the perfect backcourt fit.

A 6'4" guard with a nearly 6'7" wingpsan, Harris is a three-and-D shooting guard who ranks first at his position and 11th overall in DRPM (plus-1.88). He's also in need of a change of scenery since his numbers have regressed after he put up 17.5 points per game on 39.6 percent shooting from three in 2017-18. At age 25, he still fits the Hawks' rebuild and would bring six years of experience to a young Atlanta team.

Harris would space the floor for Young while taking on the toughest defensive assignment every night, allowing him to conserve his energy for the offensive end.

Huerter would give the Nuggets a high-upside 21-year-old shooting guard, one who can put the ball on the floor and create for others even at 6'7". Dedmon would be a quality backup for Nikola Jokic, especially since Mason Plumlee will become an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

With Harris not playing up to his potential in Denver, moving him for another good, young shooting guard makes sense. And while he isn't a superstar, he'd be a perfect fit next to Young.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2889066-the-perfect-trades-to-land-nba-stars-their-ideal-sidekicks.amp.html

Harris' salary: 2yrs/ $19.1, $20.4 

His 1st 4 years he was on the upswing, his last 2 years haven't been pretty though, and he appears injury prone. I'd pass.

If Denver was looking for a salary dump, I'd take him though for the OKC 2022 1st.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Thoughts? Would you?

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2889066-the-perfect-trades-to-land-nba-stars-their-ideal-sidekicks.amp.html

Harris' salary: 2yrs/ $19.1, $20.4 

His 1st 4 years he was on the upswing, his last 2 years haven't been pretty though, and he appears injury prone. I'd pass.

If Denver was looking for a salary dump, I'd take him though for the OKC 2022 1st.

I saw this in two different places and was gonna post it, but kinda hated it so I didn’t. I like Huerter better than Gary Harris who is injured quite a bit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This trade is almost as bad as the Bradley Beal trade scenarios. Beal is a small 6-3 scoring point guard playing shooting guard. Beal being on the Hawks would be like having two Trae Young's on the court at the same time, which would spell disaster.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, TRW said:

This trade is almost as bad as the Bradley Beal trade scenarios. Beal is a small 6-3 scoring point guard playing shooting guard. Beal being on the Hawks would be like having two Trae Young's on the court at the same time, which would spell disaster.

I think it is MUCCHHH more fair than those Beal trades.  The Harris one I would think about even if I don't think I'd do it.  The Beal deal I'd laugh and hang up before they even finished their laundry list of premium assets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

2020-05-01_2221.png

Why IND Does It

- Turner was rumored to be available last summer, and then appreciably regressed offensively this season playing as much as he did with Sabonis--to whom IND just made a substantial commitment

- Among Pacers bloggers, there appears to be significant interest to give 2019 draft prize Goga Bitadze a chance to blossom

- Assumes they find Oladipo extension demands are more than they're willing to pay, and if so, DeRozan arguably can come in for 2020-21 at minimum and be as productive and potentially more healthy

- Assumes ATL pick is as high as #1, but at least top 5, and that there is a player at the top they love

- Structure of the trade ensures that even if IND loses their 2022 #15-#30 pick to SAS, they gain the higher of the ATL or OKC #15-#30 picks

- Adds a significant amount of cap space for the 2021 free agent market, and particularly so if they do not bring DeRozan back

Why SAS Does It

- They appear to have missed the playoffs, and the neon writing is on the wall that the quicker they can shed DeRozan and Aldridge, and move on to the next era, the better

- Turner has shown himself to be, at minimum, a high-quality defensive force as an NBA player, and capable of reestablishing himself offensively

- Huerter is one of the better regarded young SGs in the league

- The price for slashing salaries and replacing talent on the back-end of their careers for promising talent on the front-end is effectively to trade their #11 2020 pick for something in the #15-#30 range for 2022

Why ATL Does It

- If Schlenk considers Oladipo a future top tier player, worthy of a max deal, this gives him the opportunity to lock him up long-term

- With the additions of both Aldridge and Oladipo, the Hawks almost certainly turn the corner to being a playoff team

- Even with those additions, there would remain about $20m of 2020 free agency cap space to add talent to the bench

- Because Aldridge's $24m comes off the books the following summer, Schlenk still potentially retains the cap space necessary to sign an additional high-talent free agent in July 2021

- The 2020 #11 pick theoretically could still see coveted Tyrese Haliburton drop down to the Hawks, but regardless, a viable talent could be added

9 minutes ago, sturt said:

2020-05-01_2221.png

Why IND Does It

- Turner was rumored to be available last summer, and then appreciably regressed offensively this season playing as much as he did with Sabonis--to whom IND just made a substantial commitment

- Among Pacers bloggers, there appears to be significant interest to give 2019 draft prize Goga Bitadze a chance to blossom

- Assumes they find Oladipo extension demands are more than they're willing to pay, and if so, DeRozan arguably can come in for 2020-21 at minimum and be as productive and potentially more healthy

- Assumes ATL pick is as high as #1, but at least top 5, and that there is a player at the top they love

- Structure of the trade ensures that even if IND loses their 2022 #15-#30 pick to SAS, they gain the higher of the ATL or OKC #15-#30 picks

- Adds a significant amount of cap space for the 2021 free agent market, and particularly so if they do not bring DeRozan back

Why SAS Does It

- They appear to have missed the playoffs, and the neon writing is on the wall that the burden that the quicker they can shed DeRozan and Aldridge, the better

- Turner has shown himself to be, at minimum, a high-quality defensive force as an NBA player, and capable of reestablishing himself offensively

- Huerter is one of the better regarded young SGs in the league

- The price for slashing salaries and replacing talent on the back-end of their careers for promising talent on the front-end is effectively to trade their #11 2020 pick for something in the #15-#30 range for 2022

Why ATL Does It

- If Schlenk considers Oladipo a future top tier player, worthy of a max deal, this gives him the opportunity to lock him up long-term

- With the additions of both Aldridge and Oladipo, the Hawks almost certainly turn the corner to being a playoff team

- Even with those additions, there would remain about $20m of 2020 free agency cap space to add talent to the bench

- Because Aldridge's $24m comes off the books the following summer, Schlenk still potentially retains the cap space necessary to sign an additional high-talent free agent in July 2021

- The 2020 #11 pick theoretically could still see coveted Tyrese Haliburton drop down to the Hawks, but regardless, a viable talent could be added

If we're in a trade with IND involving Turner, I want Turner coming to us. Give me Turner over Oladipo

Edited by TheFuzz

• Premium Member

I like what we have unless we get that "superstar."    I think people are giving up on Kevin way too early.  Kid has played well imo.  He is 6-7, has handles, is smart and can shoot the ball.  

8 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

If we're in a trade with IND involving Turner, I want Turner coming to us. Give me Turner over Oladipo

I dont see where Turner has moved the needle with Indiana.   

• Like 4

• Premium Member

2 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I like what we have unless we get that "superstar."

Right there with ya.

So, the theory here is that this gets you a player who emerged over the last 3-4 seasons as someone plausibly on the verge of becoming that... one who is entering his prime years who probably wouldn't be even available at all except that he had an injury that set him back, and simultaneously, another player emerged, Sabonis, who wasn't necessarily expected to require the cap space that he did.

2 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I think people are giving up on Kevin way too early. 

From a Hawks perspective, Aldridge is a temp for the 2021 playoff run.

The real trade for us boils down to

• Huerter, our 4-ish this year, and a back-half pick next

in exchange for

• Oladipo and a 11-ish pick this year.

It comes down then, mostly to how you value what Oladipo is likely to give you over the course of his 28, 29, 30, and 31 yr-old (prime) seasons versus what Huerter is likely to give you over that stretch.

Oladipo's resume' features 2018 and 2019 ASG appearances, being named to All-Defensive Team, being named All-NBA third team, and in the season prior to his injury, the 10th best VORP in the entire league (5.0)...

Sooooo... I would submit that it is no insult to Kevin, but Victor gives this roster an upper-tier talent that it otherwise might not be able to obtain given the scarcity of such players in the 2020 free agent pool, and the high competition for such players in the 2021. Kevin has a bright future, but if Victor is Victor the next 4 years, he adds a level of octane to the roster that is crucial to a serious bid for an NBA title.

If we had a time machine that could accelerate Kevin to being what he will become at ages 28-31, perhaps it's a much more difficult decision.

Notably, this theoretical trade would necessarily get announced sometime during draft week and before the we're off with the 2020 free agency derby. So, a drawback is that you don't even really give yourself a chance at Davis or Ingram, the two most-likely max-contract talents.

Do you really want to give up before the bells ring and the starting gates open at the post?

I supposed I've come to the conclusion that if you're presented with an opportunity to go get that high-tier talent, at least at the price prescribed here, it's probably smarter to take it, given the ambiguity of waiting to see if a better bet develops.

(Aside: Hey... I just realized... my subconscious must be feeding me analogies, given what today should have been, right?)

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

Not me.

And don't get me wrong, I like Turner a lot.

But give me what the fresh-off-the-injury-list guy who has actually been a top-tier achiever over the guy who still is looking to achieve something and whose arguably most impressive achievement is being on the all-rookie team back-when.

And hey @thecampster... what do you think of Aldridge in a rotation with JC and Capela?

And hey to the recent additions to the Sap train. You remember me, don't you? Here's a picture from back-when...

engineer.jpg

... Aldridge also fits that role quite nicely, no? Practically the same age, btw.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Oladipo's resume' features 2018 and 2019 ASG appearances, being named to All-Defensive Team, being named All-NBA third team, and in the season prior to his injury, the 10th best VORP in the entire league (5.0)...

Not to get into a long drawn out discussion about this but Oladipo did not make the all star game until his 5th year in the league after 2 team had given up on him.  How would Atlanta benefit in the long term by signing Olidipo and possibly stunting Huerter's growth along with our other young wings.  You don't grow if you don't play. Plus, Olidipo has an extensive injury history which may continue so I truly don't understand this recommendation

• Like 3

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

I also don't trust that Dipo will stay healthy. He's also looking for a payday.

3 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I like what we have unless we get that "superstar."    I think people are giving up on Kevin way too early.  Kid has played well imo.  He is 6-7, has handles, is smart and can shoot the ball.  

I dont see where Turner has moved the needle with Indiana.   

Agreed.

• Thanks 1

I think Oladipo and LaMarcus and a bit too old to get paid what they want to get paid and have a significant role with a rebuilding team like ours. I know you need impact vets but LaMarcus walks on stilts and Dipo is often injured a bit. 

Don’t get me wrong I like Dipo as a player a lot because of his heart and how hard he plays, I just think he might not be the greatest of fits for our roster.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Not to get into a long drawn out discussion about this

Translation... don't make me have to defend these surface level arguments against, please.....

hehe... well, too bad, Peor.... hehe... here we go...

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Oladipo did not make the all star game until his 5th year in the league after 2 team had given up on him.

Steve Nash called to say what does any of that matter. You're not trading for pre-age-25 Victor, you're trading for present-day Victor.

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

How would Atlanta benefit in the long term by signing Olidipo

Um. I'm going to have to give you a pass on this one, or at least give you some semblance of a chance to explain the conclusion that 4-5 years of Oladipo would not benefit this team.

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

stunting Huerter's growth along with our other young wings

Nope. Huerter goes to SAS in this scenario and grows.

And nope. You're going to play 3 wings approximately the same minutes over the course of a season anyhow, and a 4th one likely will play some significant minutes as well.

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Olidipo has an extensive injury history

Well, it's actually...

2020-05-02_1141.png

... he suffered a ruptured quad tendon (knee) in Jan 2019. And he just got back.

Doing the math, until that, he had played in about 90% of all the games since entering the league.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Don’t get me wrong I like Dipo as a player a lot because of his heart and how hard he plays, I just think he might not be the greatest of fits for our roster.

To be honest, I don't think he fit at all with the Hawks current direction.  I don't think any ball dominant 2 guard fit with what Atlanta wants to do. In fact Huerter has a lot more offensive skill that is currently being suppressed by Traeis ball dominance which has many feeling like he would be better suited to come off the bench to develop those skills in game.  To me Reddish is the perfect back court mate for Trae if his shooting continues to improve..   

• Premium Member

Might have to give up on you, Spud. 

Oladipo is going to be 28... too old?

Aldridge? Who said anything about paying him? Not me. I called him a 2021 playoff run temp above... but then again, if you're one who backs the idea of Sap, then it's not exactly ridiculous to think you might find Aldridge's price after this contract is done is similar. Again, same age.

And your "fit" thing is hard to figure, as-if anyone ever can predict with much accuracy what any player's fit will be on a given roster without it actually happening. It seems that's become your go-to excuse... because, after all, who can argue against it... or for that matter, for it? That's as subjective a commentary as can be made.

Your responses are becoming like Jay's... practically automatically like Peor's... aka, Eeyore's.