• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He has been overpaid because of the Lebron fact, but he is still an NBA player and for the right dollar amount he can fit with the Hawks.

Well, let's not gloss over that.

What free agent is gonna be pulled from a team for a "reasonable" deal?  Taken further, he'd be getting pulled from a title team that probably still wants him on some level.

Long story long, if we're talking about adding him, may as well assume it's gonna be an overpay.  Probably long-term.  Is he still a good add under that circumstance?

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Well, let's not gloss over that.

What free agent is gonna be pulled from a team for a "reasonable" deal?  Taken further, he'd be getting pulled from a title team that probably still wants him on some level.

Long story long, if we're talking about adding him, may as well assume it's gonna be an overpay.  Probably long-term.  Is he still a good add under that circumstance?

My assumption is that the price it would take to bring him to Atlanta practically rules him out but I've been surprised before by the price tag for guys.  I'd make the call with TS but would not have any confidence we end up getting him.

If we did get him, he would be a nice part of the rotation. 

• Like 1

Does Gwu's rookie salary (roughly $6 million first year?) have to come from our $44 million left under the salary cap?

If so, signing someone like Hayward or Gallinari in the $20 - $25 million per year range, would leave us around $15 million left to resign Skal and find a veteran back-up point guard (Hill?).  Should be enough money, but not enough to get BOTH Hayward and Gallinari, correct?  I know we have the $9 million MLE also, right?  Maybe that helps get them all in somehow.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Does Gwu's rookie salary (roughly $6 million first year?) have to come from our $44 million left under the salary cap?

If so, signing someone like Hayward or Gallinari in the $20 - $25 million per year range, would leave us around $15 million left to resign Skal and find a veteran back-up point guard (Hill?).  Should be enough money, but not enough to get BOTH Hayward and Gallinari, correct?  I know we have the $9 million MLE also, right?  Maybe that helps get them all in somehow.

No.

I think since we guaranteed Goodwin, 1 empty roster charge(might be 2)  plus #6 pick -   I think we have approximately $42 million.  Well that's the number I've been using😃

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, High5 said:

How much could we front load a 4/72 contract for Bogi? 

Poison Pill it...mmmm...I can't remember exactly how it works.  I think it's a relatively low amount in year 1 then balloons in year 2, that's all I can remember without researching.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, High5 said:

How much could we front load a 4/72 contract for Bogi? 

Are you talking cash (bonus up front with cap impact spread out) or for cap purposes (pushing as much into year 1 with decreasing salary)?

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Are you talking cash (bonus up front with cap impact spread out) or for cap purposes (pushing as much into year 1 with decreasing salary)?

For cap purposes. I know it’s limited just not sure what it would be for him with those numbers. 

• Premium Member

So with that being season, here’s a look at who the Hawks might target when free agency officially opens.

Oklahoma City forward Danilo Gallinari and Los Angeles Lakers point guard Rajon Rondo are the two free agents who multiple league sources believe are trending Atlanta’s way.

Gallinari, 32, has been one of the league’s best and most consistent 3-point shooters throughout his 12-year career. There is no doubt if he were to sign with the Hawks, they would be better offensively and that it would help the franchise get out of the 3-point shooting cellar it was in last season as the league’s worst perimeter-shooting team. Gallinari is strictly a power forward, so his fit on this roster, if he were to sign as someone who likely will receive significant money, is a bit curious. 

The interest in Rondo is very real. The Hawks view him as someone who could be a leader in the locker room and someone who has no problem holding his teammates accountable. They do need a veteran who has a respected voice after losing Vince Carter and Dedmon, who also held guys in check. Potentially signing Rondo as a backup point guard would give me pause, however, if I was in charge because he simply wasn’t good in the regular season last year, and his interest in going all out in the regular season isn’t consistent. For a team looking to reach the playoffs, I am not sure how he helps reach that goal; you’d have to make sure he buys in on a very young roster that hasn’t figured out how to win in bunches yet.

Bogdanovic to Milwaukee, he’ll enter restricted free agency after Sacramento extended his qualifying offer of $10.7 million — giving the Kings the right to match any offer sheet he receives. Bogdanovic is another good 3-point shooter and has some equity as a secondary playmaker who would fit in with Trae Young in the backcourt. The Hawks do have interest in Bogdanovic and have the cap space to make it a hard decision for the Kings to match. The Hawks also could explore the sign-and-trade route, which was the original plan between the Kings and Bucks.

Gordon Hayward decided to opt out of his contract on Thursday. There are three options Hayward can explore now that he’s a free agent. He can pursue a new deal with Boston, sign with a team that has cap space, such as Atlanta, New York or Charlotte, or agree to a sign-and-trade with a team over the cap. The Hawks like Hayward, but The Athletic’s Jared Weiss reported that the thinking is Hayward wants to play for a contender. That would rule the Hawks out, as they are unlikely to be in championship contention this season. 

Brooklyn’s Joe Harris and Washington’s Davis Bertans are two of the best 3-point shooters in the league, but both of their teams have made it clear that re-signing them is a priority.

Denver’s Jerami Grant likely makes for a cheaper option at the power forward position than Gallinari, and Grant is a cleaner fit. Grant isn’t as good of a shooter as Gallinari, but he has turned into an above-average one the past two seasons and can guard multiple positions, unlike Gallinari. With Dedmon’s departure, if the Hawks did want additional depth on top of someone like Gallinari, Skai Labissiere could be brought back on a minimum contract.

If the Hawks can’t get Bogdanovic, the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kentavious Caldwell-Pope would not be a bad backup option. He tries defensively and can make 3s. He’s also 27 years old and young enough to be a part of the future. Memphis’ De’Anthony Melton should also be mentioned with KCP. Melton is very good defensively but isn’t a good shooter. At 22 years old, it is possible he could grow as a shooter, but he has shot worse than 30 percent from 3 for his career. Kris Dunn is technically a point guard, but he would be better off playing alongside Young because Young could cover for Dunn offensively and Dunn could cover for Young defensively, as he’s one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

Derrick Jones Jr. would not help solve Atlanta’s shooting problems, but he is good defensively and can guard multiple positions. Even though he isn’t a shooter, he is one of the better finishers and cutters in the league.

For point guard options who make more sense than Rondo, Elfrid PaytonD.J. Augustin and Shabazz Napier could be options. Teague seems unlikely to return.