• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBC/Ringer - Hawks Looking to Trade Pick for Vet

AHF

• Moderators

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-hawks-trying-trade-no-220935735.html

Report: Hawks trying to trade No. 6 pick to make playoff push

Most draft rumors warrant significant skepticism. But this is the type of report that deserves the most trust. It comes from a credible writer. Atlanta has already shown a desire to accelerate its rise. To shop the No. 6 picks, the Hawks must talk to other teams – who might not rush to keep Atlanta’s intentions private.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?s=09#mock

The Hawks are shopping their first-round pick and intend to push for the playoffs, according to multiple league sources. Expect them to also be aggressive in free agency; the franchise wants to win now and capitalize on Trae Young’s emergence.

Nothing too dramatic here but thought it might be interesting that more reports of this are circulating.

And for ****s and giggles, the trade listed in the mock draft was:

Trade: The Hawks send no. 6 to the Spurs for no. 11 and DeMar DeRozan.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I'm okay with swapping the pick for a QUALITY vet. Another Rookie in a mediocre Draft won't move the needle much unless one of the top two or three falls to us. The East is wide open, so I think this is a good time to make a Playoff push. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Question is, what out there is worth the #6? Myles Turner would look nice next to Collins, is Capela+6 worth it? Maybe...

It isn't clear to me that Turner is better than a healthy Capela straight up.  Fit seems maybe easier on paper but I'd be hesitant to make that deal for the Hawks.  Someone like Gobert or Embiid would be much easier targets for me to wrap my head around.  (And, yes, I'd expect they would cost more than Turner and be worth more than him.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

It isn't clear to me that Turner is better than a healthy Capela straight up.  Fit seems maybe easier on paper but I'd be hesitant to make that deal for the Hawks.  Someone like Gobert or Embiid would be much easier targets for me to wrap my head around.  (And, yes, I'd expect they would cost more than Turner and be worth more than him.)

Embiid is lazy imo..And Capela owns Gobert..lol

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I guess the question is what IS worth the #6? I don't think the Derozan deal sounds great to me. If Morey wants to ship out Simmons, then maybe the #6 and cap relief get that done. I don't think Beal or Embiid is available? Gobert... maybe. He's expiring though. Seems to me the best option is to just draft the best player available tbh.

And FWIW, I would much rather have Turner next to Collins than Capela

Edited by TheFuzz

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I guess the question is what IS worth the #6? I don't think the Derozan deal sounds great to me. If Morey wants to ship out Simmons, then maybe the #6 and cap relief get that done. I don't think Beal or Embiid is available? Gobert... maybe. He's expiring though. Seems to me the best option is to just draft the best player available tbh.

Simmons for the #6 and cap relief would be highway robbery in our favor.  If we weren't in the lottery, I wouldn't trade any of our core people for the #6 pick.  I wouldn't trade at least half of them for the #1 overall pick.

As for who is available, that is a bit tough to say.  In Philly, they have a new President of Basketball Operations who will presumably make that call in conjunction with Doc Rivers.  Hard to predict but I'd guess those two took those jobs because they believe in Embiid and Simmons.  If they don't believe in one of them, then we should be contenders in the bidding on them.

13 minutes ago, terrell said:

Embiid is lazy imo..And Capela owns Gobert..lol

Capela doesn't own Gobert.  He had a nice series against him and has been pretty even overall head to head in the playoffs.

image.png

The difference is that when not matched up against each other that Gobert is the higher impact player based on his defense.  Career:

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Simmons for the #6 and cap relief would be highway robbery in our favor.  If we weren't in the lottery, I wouldn't trade any of our core people for the #6 pick.  I wouldn't trade at least half of them for the #1 overall pick.

As for who is available, that is a bit tough to say.  In Philly, they have a new President of Basketball Operations who will presumably make that call in conjunction with Doc Rivers.  Hard to predict but I'd guess those two took those jobs because they believe in Embiid and Simmons.  If they don't believe in one of them, then we should be contenders in the bidding on them.

Capela doesn't own Gobert.  He had a nice series against him and has been pretty even overall head to head in the playoffs.

image.png

The difference is that when not matched up against each other that Gobert is the higher impact player based on his defense.  Career:

image.png

image.png

I'll still take Capela at 17 mill for 3 years over Gobert at 25 mill for 1 yr...He'll want even more after next season. Or he might just walk out the door..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Bringing Derozen over sounds so Schlenky to me.  Derozen is the kind of player you don't give up assets for.  He is old, Doesn't shoot 3's, expensive and doesn't play any defense and plus is a free agent after next season.  Stick to what you do best Schlenk and draft the best player at 6 good grief!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bringing Derozen over sounds Schlenky to me.  Derozen is the kind of player you don't give up assets for.  He is old, Doesn't shoot 3's, expensive and doesn't play any defense and plus is a free agent after next season.  Stick to what you do best Schlenk and draft the best player at 6 good grief!

Derozen is a thumbs down. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bringing Derozen over sounds Schlenky to me.  Derozen is the kind of player you don't give up assets for.  He is old, Doesn't shoot 3's, expensive and doesn't play any defense and plus is a free agent after next season.  Stick to what you do best Schlenk and draft the best player at 6 good grief!

What does Schlenk have to do with some made up scenario? lol

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Derozen is a thumbs down. 

Its not about the board deciding on who should be a Hawk but rather the competence of the front office. I just haven't been impressed with Travis Schlenk thus far.  All of the report regarding his trade targets make no sense for this team.  He was gifted Capela but otherwise his trades have been garbage.  I'm worried!

Im down for 1 year rentals if it puts us on the radar.

There is no perfect NBA player. And there is no near-perfect NBA player that will ever be available for scraps.

You have to give to get. 

Drafting has been good to us, but something has to give. You dont just stockpile draft picks forever. A team full of young players isnt going anywhere.

We have a franchise centerpiece. We have a couple of young vets. We have a younger core developing around them. We dont get better by trying to develop yet another lottery pick in a weak draft that falls to 6 and who will play a position already occupied by a core asset. (Meaning less minutes)

We NEED more vets on this roster. If we can acquire a big name, and a vet, with our pick I'm down for it. 

We are not too good that Derozen or George cant help us win games. And like our star keeps saying "Winning takes care of everything." 

The time to win is now. Contracts are due up soon and we need to see this core in a playoff series before we sign anyone not named Trae long term.

Time to turn the chapter from drafting talent to pulling it in from the outside.

Missing out on the 2020 draft will not burn us. 

• Like 2

hace 5 horas, Peoriabird dijo:

Its not about the board deciding on who should be a Hawk but rather the competence of the front office. I just haven't been impressed with Travis Schlenk thus far.  All of the report regarding his trade targets make no sense for this team.  He was gifted Capela but otherwise his trades have been garbage.  I'm worried!

I don't think we should jugde Travis trades till now. We were trading for expiring vets to get picks. He was not looking for useful players, we were not on winning mode. That changed last year, Capela was a great trade. Due to all these trades we have now a good young core and a 6th pick that needs to be filled with vets to be on a position to win. This is the season when we need to start judging trades and FA. Travis needs to add 3-4 players to round the team, let's see how he does it.

• Like 1