• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Forgotten Hawks of Years Past

AUhawksfan

On 5/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, Sothron said:

Blair Rasmussen.  He came over from the Nuggets and the year before he came here I think he was putting up like 12 or 13 points a game and 2 blocks a game too.  He came over here and yeah...that block part of his game was totally gone. I think he got hurt and had to call it a career early. 

Blair so often had some kinda bandage on a knee or an ankle so had made me nervous early on. He definitely could nail a jumper though and he looked even taller than he was listed at seven foot. His career was pretty short as already mentioned by others.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Blair so often had some kinda bandage on a knee or an ankle so had made me nervous early on. He definitely could nail a jumper though and he looked even taller than he was listed at seven foot. His career was pretty short as already mentioned by others.

It’s really sad that we could never get a legitimate center to play with/protect Nique. We had Moses in his like 15th year in the league and he scored 20ppg and we won like 50 games but somehow got bounced in round 1 to Sikma/Schayes/Lohous and that Bucks team that couldn’t possibly me more annoying.

Moses for a couple more years but again he was already getting up there in age. Besides that the only centers we featured never broke 10ppg (Koncak, Rasmussen). I guess there was Tree 🌲 before them but he never fully presented a scoring threat in any way, he did play the role of an enforcer well. 

Honestly, I blame the result of the 85 Koncak pick, it LIERALLY set us back a decade as far as what we could have been and done in the eastern conference. If you look at the players that were taken after Koncak at 5, we could have used many of them so nicely not just the centers either.

7th: Chris Mullin : SF though but wonder if he could have played SG with Nique probably not quick enough but wow. Imagine Nique’s physical game complimented by Mullin’s finesse touch.

8th: Detlef: Swiss army versatile 

9th: Oakley: Enforcer extraordinaire him and Willis as interchangeable PF/C’s.

13th: Karl Alfred Horford Malone: 😉 I mean, Nique and Karl, dream team stuff. 

18th: Joe Dumars: One of the best lockdown 2 guards of his era, gave Jordan the most fits ever, would have looked pretty next to Doc.

23rd: AC Green: Ironman, ultimate team virgin power pro, he had the juice because he kept his juice. 

24th: Terry Porter: Wisconsin Stevens point product; backcourt underrated mate of Clyde in the Pacific Northwest for all those years, I think he and Nique would have built beautiful chemistry.

I still believe Koncak may have witnessed a murder committed by Stan Kasten/Pete Babcock along the way and they had to keep him on the Hawks for a decade, there’s really no other excuse. Maybe he married one of their daughters or impregnated them, I dunno. 😞 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

13th: Karl Alfred Horford Malone: 😉 I mean, Nique and Karl, dream team stuff. 

Wow man. Am trying to imagine that combo.  After Doc improved on his foul line post season whoas and the combo of Nique and Malone up front. Maybe it wouldn't be just Spud carrying the Celtic Killer moniker. Would have been fun no doubt.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 1:42 PM, Final_quest said:

He and Dwight Howard both played high school ball against each other at small Christian schools in south Atlanta.  The national media started showing up to games when they played each other.  

I graduated from the same school as RandMo.  I think he also played with Marbury’s Chinese team.  

The feds got my boy f up. I feel like half of the Celtics in federal prison.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edky/pr/randolph-morris-indicted-wire-fraud-and-federal-tax-violations-failing-report-income

• Like 1

That terrible 2000 trio of Bimbo/Jackson/Rider always sticks in my mind... they were supposed to so promising and we stunk so bad.  I think that’s the year Chris Crawford starting showing out and putting together little stretches of good play and minutes?  Dark times...

Other random ones that stick out to me

Bob “triple-double” Sura - I remember him shooting at the wrong basket to get his 10th rebound?  He definitely balled out for a minute there

Flip Murray - the OG microwave offense

Joe Smith - the ridicule of him having to have his full name on his jersey next to Josh Smith

Jordan “Jamal Jr” Crawford - I remember the hype about having him w Jamal, and that Nike tried to bury the tape of him as a HS kid dunking on LeBron

is Pero “One-Leg” Antic too recent?  Haha

So many names 

Emanuel Davis- One of the worst PGs I've seen in the NBA.

Mike Wilks - He had a nice little moment in the NBA for us but short lived 

Hanno Mattola - One of my favorite scrubs we drafted.

Hansen from BYU - One of my other favorite scrubs

Cal Bowdler - I think he works for the Hawks. He knows he was a bad pick as well but they drafted worse than Bud

Jenkins - Klay Thompson 0.1

Royal Ivey - Great defender, terrible PG

Mario West - Freak athlete who could defend, terrible basketball player but he was a walk on at GT. 

Dion Glover - He would have been better if he would have just entered the NBA out of HS.

DeMarr Johnson - He had endless potential but that damn car accident 

Adrian Payne - Coach Bud and bad drafting, his trade got us Kevin Huerter 

Salim Stoudemire - He was a fan favorite on this site till he wasn't 

Josh Childress- Why did we draft him so high was always my biggest question.

Josh Smith - He had a hell of a career considering how raw he was when he joined

Deshawn Stevenson- For some reason, I remember him as a Hawk, was he?

Chris Bad Contract Crawford - I hate Babcock.

Alan Hendu Always Hurt Henderson 

Speedy but not when it comes to injuries Claxton 

Kris Dunn, lol, that one for bleachkit

Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter ended their careers with the Hawks, I think 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 4:24 PM, Gray Mule said:

I hope no one forgets that the retired Marvin Williams was once a Hawk.  He wasn't a full time starter in school but he was a pretty high draft pick.  He was never as good as we hoped but he had a good career.  Sometimes things just will not work out for Atlanta.

:smug:

It worked out for him though.

15 year career . . . 124 million dollars made . . . which is 2 million more than what Josh Smith made in his career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marvin24Williams said:

Mo Evans. I remember the good old days in the chat when he used to come in and whenever he'd mess up people would always go "no mo evans". that was hilarious 

When Bazemore was guarding folks and actually stopped the gambling for steals stuff for stretches he reminded me a good bit of Mo Evans. Both very competitive, could guard more than one position and pretty fun to watch. Consistency was the issue on offense for them both though.

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

So many names 

Salim Stoudemire - He was a fan favorite on this site till he wasn't 

Salim was probably my favorite scrub of all time.   Had he'd worked out as a pure scoring PG, the impact of not taking Chris Paul may not have been that great.

Salim almost helped the Hawks pull off the greatest comeback in franchise history . . ironically . . against Chris Paul and the then New Orleans Hornets.  The Hawks were playing one of their worst games of all time.  Then "Salim the Dream" came in, and just flat out balled.

Here's the entire 4th quarter of that game.   You don't really get an appreciation for this this young team almost did, if you don't watch the entire quarter in its full context.

If you just want to see Salim's scoring in the 4th, here it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Salim was probably my favorite scrub of all time.   Had he'd worked out as a pure scoring PG, the impact of not taking Chris Paul may not have been that great.

Salim almost helped the Hawks pull off the greatest comeback in franchise history . . ironically . . against Chris Paul and the then New Orleans Hornets.  The Hawks were playing one of their worst games of all time.  Then "Salim the Dream" came in, and just flat out balled.

Here's the entire 4th quarter of that game.   You don't really get an appreciation for this this young team almost did, if you don't watch the entire quarter in its full context.

If you just want to see Salim's scoring in the 4th, here it is.

Ya Salim was a beast he could put the ball in the hole. Didn’t he score like 50 or something crazy in his first or second summer league game.

Is this the Hornets 🐝 game where cp3 almost quadruple doubled on us? I remember watching that game and thinking Marvin better be good. I remember wanting cp3 and thinking he was the next Zeke and thinking Marvin was the next James Worthy. Oops.