• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Forgotten Hawks of Years Past

AUhawksfan

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think any Hawks fan will EVER forget Bobby Sura.   Trying to get a fake triple double. SMH...and trying to win too many games...I think that was the Dwight Howard draft.

It’s almost like saying remember Danny Manning played for the Hawks?  Some are too painful.  

• Like 2

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Ya big dude from Kentucky a bit overweight I believe.

He and Dwight Howard both played high school ball against each other at small Christian schools in south Atlanta.  The national media started showing up to games when they played each other.  

I graduated from the same school as RandMo.  I think he also played with Marbury’s Chinese team.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Part of the infamous "playoff guarantee" season?  He, Reef and JT ended up forming the nucleus of maybe the most disappointing Hawks team in our lifetime. 

Second most, imo.

Most?

I for one got caught up in the hype in the 88-89 season, and was lock-certain that adding a Reggie Theus and a Moses Malone to Nique and Doc, along with Spud, Battle, Levingston, Carr, etc would make a serious NBA title push.

Silly, silly, silly me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Second most, imo.

Most?

I for one got caught up in the hype in the 88-89 season, and was lock-certain that adding a Reggie Theus and a Moses Malone to Nique and Doc, along with Spud, Battle, Levingston, Carr, etc would make a serious NBA title push.

Silly, silly, silly me.

Those were some of the first Hawks games I went to.  Wish I still had the souvenir cups from the Omni.  

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, sturt said:

Second most, imo.

Most?

Silly, silly, silly me.

You were not alone but at least they won 52 games and made the playoffs.  I can buy into it being more disappointing that we didn't end up real contenders but that Guarantee Team was an outright embarrassment to the franchise.

• Like 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

He and Dwight Howard both played high school ball against each other at small Christian schools in south Atlanta.  The national media started showing up to games when they played each other.  

I graduated from the same school as RandMo.  I think he also played with Marbury’s Chinese team.  

He was considered an elite prospect in high school.  He was ranked ahead of guys like Al Horford, Marvin Williams, LaMarcus Aldridge, Rajon Rondo, Kyle Lowry, Joakim Noah, etc.  Turned out to be a big let down, unfortunately.  I was excited when we signed him as a developmental big.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

It’s almost like saying remember Danny Manning played for the Hawks?  Some are too painful.  

I was fuming staring at the back of Manning's oddly shaped head sitting on the bench at my first ever Hawks game - I was expecting to see the Human Highlight film. Every time I remember it.....smh. I don't know how I stayed a Hawks fan.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I was fuming staring at the back of Manning's oddly shaped head sitting on the bench at my first ever Hawks game - I was expecting to see the Human Highlight film. Every time I remember it.....smh. I don't know how I stayed a Hawks fan.

giphy.gif

Babcock, come here you...

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, AHF said:

It was a pretty memorable one for fans at the time.  Not likely to be forgotten as it was the move that ended the Shareef era and brought the pick that had us in the Josh Smith.  Probably one of the more memorable "trade and flip" players perhaps in general but certainly for the Hawks.

Yup, but a lot of younger fans may not have been around so worth bringing up I think. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

It is definitely a fun historical nugget.  How many guys have averaged 20 points and 5 blocks per game in their Hawks' careers?

th?id=OIP.2RGmJ9xhte4_60mp0PMQ7QHaJ4&pid

How many times in NBA history has a none 10 day contract guy played just one game for a team before getting cut or traded? Can't think of anyone else. 

• Like 4