• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Reddish just showed that he'll be a problem.

DawnOfThemBirds

42 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

These guys haven't been able to stay on the court so don't get ahead.of.oursleves there is no guarantee cam and Dre will have a second contract here way too many things can happen 

No guarantee Huerter will either..

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, terrell said:

Dont act like Huerter hasnt missed numerous games himself since being drafted...Just sayin...

7, 10 (consecutive) and 3 games missed in the 3 years since being drafted. Not many in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

7, 10 (consecutive) and 3 games missed in the 3 years since being drafted. Not many in the grand scheme of things.

Im still taking Dre and Cam over Kev if I had to make a choice...Health isnt guaranteed for any player..Thats all Im saying..

• Like 1

If we are gonna get anything close to that playoffs version of Cam next year, then he almost HAS to be in the starting lineup alongside Dre. The question then becomes what is better for the team: 

1. They start at the 2 and 3 with Collins at 4

OR

2. They start at 3 and 4 with one of Bogi/Heurter at 2 (likely Bogi).

I know if/when JC signs his contract most are gonna say he has to start, and probably that is correct. But it's something to think about. Is that really the best starting 5? I don't think it is. 

But from a team dynamic of trying to keep your young core happy, I can see why we would still start JC at 4. He's also a team leader that you don't want to disgruntle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

If we are gonna get anything close to that playoffs version of Cam next year, then he almost HAS to be in the starting lineup alongside Dre. The question then becomes what is better for the team: 

OR

I know if/when JC signs his contract most are gonna say he has to start, and probably that is correct. But it's something to think about. Is that really the best starting 5? I don't think it is. 

But from a team dynamic of trying to keep your young core happy, I can see why we would still start JC at 4. He's also a team leader that you don't want to disgruntle.

Cam's performed his best coming off the bench.  I'm not so sure why the sentiment around here is focused on who starts.  If Cam starts, I'm all for it because I guess I"m the second biggest Cam fan here. If he comes off the bench, it doesn't mean that he won't play most of the minutes in a game if he's got it going.  The defense over Bogi is a def plus, but next season it may be best for him to continue coming off the bench and being that sixth man.  Going forward, when Bogi's gone, I believe Cam will start and Kev will take over the sixth man role. 

JC should and will be starting 4.  We'd get eviscerated on the boards without him.  When Cam, Hunter, JC, and Capella have shared the floor, I believe they were the number 1 defense small sample size and all. 

So glad we have a deep roster so we can have these debates though. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 7/4/2021 at 11:28 AM, RedDawg#8 said:

It's a catch 22.

If All reach their potential, then they become too expensive to keep together.

But because there is only one ball and only so many touches to go around, they all likely cannot max out their production playing together, which would keep their cost down.

There are only so many minutes available on the court. And everyone can't average 20+ppg which is the typical threshold when you talk about big contracts.

Not to mention Bogi, Gallo, and CC eating up minutes and points.

Think Harden in OKC. He always had superstar talent but was only able to out up 16 ppg playing alongside KD and Russ. That's exactly what will happen to guys like Cam, Dre and Kev. 

I think you just nailed his nick name. CATCH 22. Damn if you do damn if you don’t. Lol. 

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, RandomFan said:

OR

You start JC at the 4 and Bogi has to come off the bench.  We need the younger core developing chemistry because those are the pieces that will (likely) stay together.  Bogi, Gallo, and OO coming off the bench should absolutely dominate other bench units

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, RandomFan said:

OR

Not this again!🤦‍♂️  Hunter is the starting small forward on this team period.  JC is the starting power forward on this team period.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Not this again!🤦‍♂️  Hunter is the starting small forward on this team period.  JC is the starting power forward on this team period.

giphy.gif

I can hear you sighing and yelling.

I agree - I just do not like the idea of Hunter as our fulltime PF.  Maybe as he ages and he get his man strength, but now right now.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

giphy.gif

I can hear you sighing and yelling.

I agree - I just do not like the idea of Hunter as our fulltime PF.  Maybe as he ages and he get his man strength, but now right now.

I would much rather have dre at the 3 but let's be honest he's stronger than JC and probably defends better at the 4 than JC does.  But as long as Collins is on the roster, he has to be the PF

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hylndr11 said:

But he's.shown he can stay on the court 

Kevin was healthy this year, but both Cam and Dre played in more games than Huerter last season...

• Like 1

Of course Hunter is most likely going to be our starting SF next year, but I just don't understand this train of thought that he can't play as a stretch four. Heck, we are already switching Collins onto lesser threats and putting Hunter on the better PF's we play anyway.

If Hunter had been healthy vs the Bucks, he would have been guarding Giannis most of the time. He was the primary defender on Julius Randle in that series. We stuck Collins on RJ Barrett since he wasn't as much of a threat. 

The average size of a PF in 2019-20 was 6'8.2" and 231 lbs. 

The average size of a PF in 2018-19 was 6'8.6" and 232 lbs. 

The average size of a PF in 2014-15 was 6'9" and 245 lbs.

The PF position has changed in the NBA, even within the last 7 years. Stretch 4's are changing it. 

Hunter is listed as 6'8" and 225 lbs., although that was his drafted weight and he looks considerably bigger since then. I'd wager he's at least 230, but even if 225 is accurate that is still the same height and only 6 lbs less than the average PF, 2 season ago at this point. It might be even less now. 

There are very few PFs in the league today that Hunter is at a big disadvantage from his size; and it's not like Collins can guard those players any better either. 

So again, while Hunter will most likely be our SF next year to accommodate keeping JC on the floor, there is zero reason he can't guard most of the PF's in the league; he already does it anyway. 

Edited by RandomFan

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Of course Hunter is most likely going to be our starting SF next year, but I just don't understand this train of thought that he can't play as a stretch four. Heck, we are already switching Collins onto lesser threats and putting Hunter on the better PF's we play anyway.

If Hunter had been healthy vs the Bucks, he would have been guarding Giannis most of the time. He was the primary defender on Julius Randle in that series. We stuck Collins on RJ Barrett since he wasn't as much of a threat. 

The PF position has changed in the NBA, even within the last 7 years. Stretch 4's are changing it. 

Hunter is listed as 6'8" and 225 lbs., although that was his drafted weight and he looks considerably bigger since then. I'd wager he's at least 230, but even if 225 is accurate that is still the same height and only 6 lbs less than the average PF, 2 season ago at this point. It might be even less now. 

There are very few PFs in the league today that Hunter is at a big disadvantage from his size; and it's not like Collins can guard those players any better either. 

So again, while Hunter will most likely be our SF next year to accommodate keeping JC on the floor, there is zero reason he can't guard most of the PF's in the league; he already does it anyway. 

We just went to the conference finals with JC at power forward and may have gone further without injuries. Why is this not enough evidence that the current experiment of having John at PF and Hunter at small forward might just work?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Dre would have been on Middleton. 

Clint was the main defender on Giannis. We went bigger against him, you don't need a perimeter defender on Giannis because he can't shoot, so you sag off of him. You need size in the lane against Giannis. Plus we already got killed on the glass, why would we go smaller?

Hunter on Middleton might have slowed down some of those explosive scoring spurts.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Heard he was standing on some tall midgets so he might be really be 4'10".

That would explain a lot about his coordination and body control during his first season with us.

• Haha 1