• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

Concerning the revised officiating, that was part of the reason why the game was pretty enjoyable: they let them play and no one really even attempted any fraudulent flopping.  Sh*t should’ve been revamped after Harden’s second season in Houston.  Better very late than never I guess.  That era was beyond embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Concerning the revised officiating, that was part of the reason why the game was pretty enjoyable: they let them play and no one really even attempted any fraudulent flopping.  Sh*t should’ve been revamped after Harden’s second season in Houston.  Better very late than never I guess.  That era was beyond embarrassing.

It's summer league. I don't think I've ever seen a ton of flopping in summer league.

What makes the game flow much better is the 10 fouls each player gets and teams get a quarter before the penalty.  Also, 10 minute quarters without stoppages for TV timeouts etc.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

By the way.... I know it's all the rage to promote that women can do anything men can do, but can we just say there are some men who can do game announcing (I can't even call it "play-by-play") better than others, and women who can do that better than others... and today's female person beside Smitty was, well.... let's just be gentle and say "a work in progress."

I had to turn the sound off, I really did. She provided no value to the broadcast. Maybe some day she'll be great. But she, like a lot of the players on the floor, has a whole lot to work on before she makes the big leagues.

6 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

so this is why we had no interest in paying Sap 6m

But at this point JJ's shot is no where as smooth and sure as trillsap. Hopefully our rooks will get in the gym and work on their shot. So much goodness in those two players from one draft...Schlenk has the eye

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

It's summer league. I don't think I've ever seen a ton of flopping in summer league.

What makes the game flow much better is the 10 fouls each player gets and teams get a quarter before the penalty.  Also, 10 minute quarters without stoppages for TV timeouts etc.

Yeah @benhillboy, SL is usually like that.  They generally let them play moreso than reg season does.

• Like 1

Just now watching the game.  When he gets some experience, Jalen Johnson is going to be a problem for the rest of the nba.  

I like to look for a diamond in the rough though, and I like the actions and feel of Ibi Watson.  Depending upon what they do with Mays, he could end up with a two way deal.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sturt said:

By the way.... I know it's all the rage to promote that women can do anything men can do, but can we just say there are some men who can do game announcing (I can't even call it "play-by-play") better than others, and women who can do that better than others... and today's female person beside Smitty was, well.... let's just be gentle and say "a work in progress."

I had to turn the sound off, I really did. She provided no value to the broadcast. Maybe some day she'll be great. But she, like a lot of the players on the floor, has a whole lot to work on before she makes the big leagues.

You know that was Stephanie Ready, right?

Former ballplayer.  Former college coach.  Former D-League assistant coach.  Former Hornets sideline reporter, then color analyst.

Now she's at TNT as a sideline reporter.

Play by play isn't her forte, but she'll nail it the more she does it.  She's normally very good at anything she's ever done.

Stephanie Ready on Twitter: "Meet my new BFF “Emmy” (⁦@TheEmmys⁩)  Congratulations to our entire ⁦@HornetsOnFSSE⁩ crew for our coverage of  ⁦@KembaWalker⁩ becoming the @hornets all time leading scorer last season!  🏀😍… https://t.co/82IGbVfXzK"

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Former ballplayer.  Former college coach.  Former D-League assistant coach.  Former Hornets sideline reporter, then color analyst.

Play by play isn't her forte, but she'll nail it the more she does it.  She's normally very good at anything she's ever done.

Stephanie Ready on Twitter: "Meet my new BFF “Emmy” (⁦@TheEmmys⁩)  Congratulations to our entire ⁦@HornetsOnFSSE⁩ crew for our coverage of  ⁦@KembaWalker⁩ becoming the @hornets all time leading scorer last season!  🏀😍… https://t.co/82IGbVfXzK"

Coach Ready was a head coach in the GLeague

• Like 1

i feel like in certain scenarios JJ is going to be big enough to play on floor together with JC. Whereas in previous year when we ran JC at the 5 he'd get overwhelmed, JJ is quick and strong enough to provide help if needed. Imagine the D with dre/cam/jj on the floor at the same time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, enrique said:

But at this point JJ's shot is no where as smooth and sure as trillsap. Hopefully our rooks will get in the gym and work on their shot. So much goodness in those two players from one draft...Schlenk has the eye

What good is having a"Smooth shot",  if you shoot 34% or below from 3?(like Milsap)..Hell, I can name a few players on our team right now with great form, rotation, etc.. on their shot, but they still miss alot more than they make..

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Not a name I would know, nor a resume'... so, my angst was not the result of any previous judgments about her, but purely the result of having listened to her seem to want to fill space with all kinds of superfluous conversation about Smitty's career and about this, that and the other... while a game was actually going on.

Couldn't get her to say even who scored for long periods of time. The only time she seemed to pay attention was when someone dunked--if even then.

It was pretty ridiculous for those 15-ish minutes I listened, and eventually, I just decided this is useless and turned the sound off.

My benefit-of-a-doubt guess is that she was thrown into it at the last minute, and she didn't know but a very few of the names on either team's roster. Hope that's true, so maybe not a true reflection of her skills.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, sturt said:

I think you are better off deleting that intro in the context of a discussion about announcing.  No reason even raising that issue in this context.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

After 1 game, JJ is 8th in points scored, 8th in rebounds.  The summer league features players chosen over the last 2 years.

His body control and athletic movements stand out.  I didn't see the hesitation to look for his shot that I saw from him at Duke either.  I've said for a while now that Coach K hasn't been coaching his players worth a flip.  Very interested to see what Jon Scheyer does with the talent they get at Duke (not a Duke fan by any stretch of the imagination though).  

• Like 1