• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No more Cam for Summer League?

RedDawg#8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-summer-league-roster-includes-johnson-cooper-no-cam-reddish/XC7PFB5NAZHLLBNM5YDA3TWCCE/%3foutputType=amp

I know that it's not mandatory for 3rd year players so it's up to him if he wants to participate or not, but this is a bit of surprise after it was reported for months now that he would be going.

Could this be smoke of something else bigger like a potential trade? Or is he just satisfied with his playoff performance and content to rest on that ahead of next season?

• Confused 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-summer-league-roster-includes-johnson-cooper-no-cam-reddish/XC7PFB5NAZHLLBNM5YDA3TWCCE/%3foutputType=amp

I know that it's not mandatory for 3rd year players so it's up to him if he wants to participate or not, but this is a bit of surprise after it was reported for months now that he would be going.

Could this be smoke of something else bigger like a potential trade? Or is he just satisfied with his playoff performance and content to rest on that ahead of next season?

Could be he wants to rest which is fine by me. Not many players I can think of go to summer league in their third year. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Could be he wants to rest which is fine by me. Not many players I can think of go to summer league in their third year. 

That's what I'm hoping for too. Summer league is just 4 games. That happens to be exactly how many he played in the ECFs. Given what he showed during those games, if I'm Cam (or his agent), I'm saying that he already got his summer live ball reps and would rather sit out SL so as not to risk injury. 

Probably wishful thinking, though...

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, niremetal said:

That's what I'm hoping for too. Summer league is just 4 games. That happens to be exactly how many he played in the ECFs. Given what he showed during those games, if I'm Cam (or his agent), I'm saying that he already got his summer live ball reps and would rather sit out SL so as not to risk injury. 

Probably wishful thinking, though...

Cam could use all the reps he can get. Imagine Trae worrying about whether or not to play games. He is out hooping with high schoolers cause he couldn’t play in the olympics. Lol. 

• Like 2

No reason for him to play summer league and get injured.  We know what we have, therefore no reason to showcase him.  We just need him ready when the regular season opens.  

:smug:

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

No reason for him to play summer league and get injured.  We know what we have, therefore no reason to showcase him.  We just need him ready when the regular season opens.  

:smug:

@NBASupes seems convinced it's because Cam's on the trading block. Hoping he's wrong, you're right, and that it's just a realization that the risk of injury / benefits of low-impact offseason training outweighed the reps he'd get from playing 100 minutes of summer league ball...

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, niremetal said:

@NBASupes seems convinced it's because Cam's on the trading block. Hoping he's wrong, you're right, and that it's just a realization that the risk of injury / benefits of low-impact offseason training outweighed the reps he'd get from playing 100 minutes of summer league ball...

Just so we are clear,  Tyler Herro is on the trading block.

There is a difference between Cam and Herro being on the block compared to Culver, Bruno, or Kris Dunn. 

They are a major piece for a Beal. The other is basically taking a roster spot

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, niremetal said:

Et tu, Supes? I remain utterly baffled by the notion that we should want Beal. The only role I could see him filling on this team that would be a good fit is as a sixth man, basically a supercharged version of Lou. But there's no way he'd want that role, and there's no way we'd want to pay $35M for him to play that role.

So assuming he'd be coming in as a starter, serious question--how would that not be a disaster? He is one of the few players in the league who is more ball-dominating than Trae. He's been a mediocre three-point shooter for the past several seasons, so he won't be as good as Bogi (or even Huerter) playing a catch-and-shoot role alongside Trae. In fact, Bogi was a more effective offensive player than Beal has been in any of the past 4 seasons by virtually every metric except raw ppg (which, considering that he took more than 23 FGAs per game last year, ain't exactly a . And that's even if you include the time Bogi was mis-utilized by LP. Maybe Beal circa 2016 would make sense, but the 35% from deep/ballhog model that he is today...

And that's just on the offensive end. On the defensive end (as I've said), he's become of the very worst defenders in the entire league--and one of his few competitors is Trae. We'd be left with an undersized, historically bad backcourt on the defensive end.

So again--why on earth would we be interested in Beal, especially given that he makes $35M per year? I just don't get it.

BEAL IS ESSENTIALLY ON A ONE YEAR CONTRACT. DON'T TRADE ASSETS FOR HIM WHEN YOU KNOW HE'LL JUST BOUNCE AFTER ONE YEAR.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

BEAL IS ESSENTIALLY ON A ONE YEAR CONTRACT. DON'T TRADE ASSETS FOR HIM WHEN YOU KNOW HE'LL JUST BOUNCE AFTER ONE YEAR.

To me that's the only plus...maybe we could flip him at the deadline to Chicago for Vucevic once the Bulls' whole front office gets fired mid-season and they start rebuilding...

On 8/4/2021 at 8:25 PM, niremetal said:

Et tu, Supes? I remain utterly baffled by the notion that we should want Beal. The only role I could see him filling on this team that would be a good fit is as a sixth man, basically a supercharged version of Lou. But there's no way he'd want that role, and there's no way we'd want to pay $35M for him to play that role.

So assuming he'd be coming in as a starter, serious question--how would that not be a disaster? He is one of the few players in the league who is more ball-dominating than Trae. He's been a mediocre three-point shooter for the past several seasons, so he won't be as good as Bogi (or even Huerter) playing a catch-and-shoot role alongside Trae. In fact, Bogi was a more effective offensive player than Beal has been in any of the past 4 seasons by virtually every metric except raw ppg (which, considering that he took more than 23 FGAs per game last year, ain't exactly a . And that's even if you include the time Bogi was mis-utilized by LP. Maybe Beal circa 2016 would make sense, but the 35% from deep/ballhog model that he is today...

And that's just on the offensive end. On the defensive end (as I've said), he's become of the very worst defenders in the entire league--and one of his few competitors is Trae. We'd be left with an undersized, historically bad backcourt on the defensive end.

So again--why on earth would we be interested in Beal, especially given that he makes $35M per year? I just don't get it.

Well we do. It's becoming a lot more unlikely as Beal wants to return for the supermax