• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

What's left to be done?

capstone21

On second thought...

Play defense and hit an open 3. That's what Wesley Matthews can provide at this point of his career, and would only cost the veterans minimum. He would be a good depth piece and locker room guy to add.

Edited by ATLHawks3
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Because so many teams still can spend at least as much as us (~$5.5m), I'm not inclined to think we're going to be able to get away with only offering a vet minimum to anyone who we think could be a serious asset in the event of injury.

Who would I most like to add?

Either a pure PG... you know who.

Or, I keep coming back to Justise Winslow. If his health checks out. I think that's my guy.

Having said that... he's likely someone who legitimately will be able to find a team that can give him a minutes commitment that we can't.

Not holding my breath.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 8/1/2021 at 10:37 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Any interest in Winslow for the Hawks for the wing rotation?

12 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

On second thought...

Play defense and hit an open 3. That's what Wesley Matthews can provide at this point of his career, and would only cost the veterans minimum. He would be a good depth piece and locker room guy to add.

I mentioned Winslow as a possibility one Memphis didn't pick up his TO.  His back has been problematic though and he will be looking for real playing time.

2 minutes ago, georgia said:

We need one more center.    Just a big body.   Give Harry Giles a non guarantee until OO returns 

I called for that as soon as he went down.

'Course, there's always Cousins.  I'm sure he'll be looking to ring chase with a contender ...

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47bwy2nhab0j5cysm39u4

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is Mays a 2Way or not?

I thought I recalled he was going to be a two-way.  Not sure if that is confirmed yet or not.  

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

I thought I recalled he was going to be a two-way.  Not sure if that is confirmed yet or not.  

He received a qualifying offer making him a RFA but no details of what the contract offer is.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, mrhonline said:

They're kinda up against the hard cap AND just drafted Kispert. A decent offer sheet..  they'd likely pass.

Fwiw...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/wizards-rescinding-garrison-mathews-qualifying-offer.html

The Wizards are pulling their qualifying offer to Garrison Mathews off the table, according to Fred Katz of The Athletic (Twitter link). The move will make Mathews an unrestricted free agent.

Mathews, who has been on a two-way contract with Washington for each of the past two seasons, emerged as a regular rotation player for the team in 2020/21, averaging 5.5 PPG in 64 games (16.2 MPG). The 24-year-old shooting guard has displayed a reliable outside shot since entering the NBA, making 38.9% of 244 total three-point attempts.

The Wizards issued Mathews a qualifying offer last week to make him a restricted free agent. That QO was a partially guaranteed one-year minimum-salary offer and gave Washington matching rights in the event that Mathews signed an offer sheet with another team.

However, as Katz explains, the Wizards’ roster is almost full as a result of the complex five-team trade that will send six players to D.C. — by my count, 14 of the 15 slots on Washington’s regular season roster are spoken for. The club is also close to the tax line, Katz notes, and may want to retain some flexibility with that 15th roster spot.

Mathews will now be free to sign outright with any other team.

5 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

LaMarcus Aldridge anyone?

Nah.  He’s killed every team he’s ever been on with his team defensive skills, or heavy lack thereof.  

Winslow drags your offense down with his three point and FT shooting.

I can get with Matthews though.  Giles is very efficient as well I’d take a flyer.

• Like 2