• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's left to be done?

capstone21

• Premium Member

With the young players starting to move on to their second contracts, it’s possible there will come a point where the franchise will feel like they have to do some consolidating and turn potential into already-established high-level players. Schlenk was asked about where he stands when it comes to the possibility of getting into the mix for a second star and the feasibility of such a move.

“I still think when you look at the depth of our roster and the young talent that we have, we don’t have draft assets like we have in the past anymore, but we now have guys under contract that you could match some of the bigger salaries,” Schlenk said. “There wasn’t really those big guys — all those rumors guys were going to ask for trades and it didn’t really come to fruition. So you never really know, and in today’s NBA, those guys can kind of pick where they’re going to go, too. It’s not like the good old days where you make the best offer and you get the guy.

“But I think last year kind of put us back on the NBA map as far as a destination. Those who want to get traded, they want to go somewhere they think they can win. And I think now that perception of us is out there, because we do have a young core that did show success in the playoffs. So the hope would be when a star player does ask to be traded, we’ll be one of the destinations he’ll be open to coming to.”

Of course, Schlenk said he has the hope and faith that the players currently on the roster can develop into stars so they don’t have to find other ways of acquiring that level of talent, but that’s going to take significant growth from the players outside of Trae Young to rise to that level.

“We hope to keep developing our guys so one day we do it from internally,” Schlenk said. “There are three options: draft and develop or go out and acquire through free agency or trade. Right now because there is no trade and we’re not a team that is going to have cap space moving forward, it’s got to come from internal growth. We feel good about a lot of our guys getting to that level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing I thought about recently ...

When Jalen Johnson eventually replaces Gallo as the BU PF and Sharife Cooper replaces Delon Wright as the BU PG, and assuming Huerter, Cam, and OO are the rest of our bench players, we having pretty much two mirror image sets of five players.

That is nice, for consistency, but it also eliminates the need for opposing teams to game plan for a second line of defensive strategy, as in a second squad of ours coming out on the floor with a different personality.  

I guess I'll take the consistency of two similar squads for us versus the predictability factor being a negative.  

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

I'll take the consistency of two similar squads

Right.

Reality is, it's more typical for there to be 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the first unit on the floor with 4, 3, 2 or 1 of the second than it is for you to have all 5 of the second unit on the floor. And, too. If you're really good at what you do in the first unit, the opposition actually would prefer to see something different.

That's how I think about it anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

When Jalen Johnson eventually replaces Gallo as the BU PF and Sharife Cooper replaces Delon Wright as the BU PG, and assuming Huerter, Cam, and OO are the rest of our bench players, we having pretty much two mirror image sets of five players.

That is nice, for consistency, but it also eliminates the need for opposing teams to game plan for a second line of defensive strategy, as in a second squad of ours coming out on the floor with a different personality.  

I guess I'll take the consistency of two similar squads for us versus the predictability factor being a negative.  

... but how does my proposed Porzingo trade factor in all this?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

... but how does my proposed Porzingo trade factor in all this?

He'll be the only one on the court when our starters rest.  He is a unicorn after all.

18 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

I think this maybe true, but the second unit all has slightly different skill sets than the first unit.  Although we may be stylistically similar, I believe how you game plan for Trae vs Sharife is different.  How game plan for John vs JJ will be different.  So on and so forth. 

Edited by marco102

I definitely was critical of the JJ pick due to all the reports of him basically being a douche in high school and college (him leaving schools early because of playing time etc..) But after seeing him play (there definitely was extremely limited film on him), I can't see how you don't give him significant minutes midway through year 2.  By that time I think Schlenk will be focused on moving JC for more assets. That would make the numbers work with everyone else. 

41 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

I definitely was critical of the JJ pick due to all the reports of him basically being a douche in high school and college (him leaving schools early because of playing time etc..) But after seeing him play (there definitely was extremely limited film on him), I can't see how you don't give him significant minutes midway through year 2.  By that time I think Schlenk will be focused on moving JC for more assets. That would make the numbers work with everyone else. 

Gallo most likely will not be here then and the backup PF spot, if JJ is playing well, will be JJ's. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gHost83 said:

I haven't seen those.  I guess that would confuse me a bit because the first two HSs that he left were clearly ones where he was the best player and got all the minutes he wanted.  He never played a game at Oak Hill (getting injured before game 1) so that seems unlikely to be  a pure playing time issue but if he didn't gel with the coaches then maybe he feared they would not give him the minutes.  And at Duke he was getting plenty of minutes before getting hurt.  He was still injured some and got a lot of minutes before Coach K shifted his role to coming off the bench.  He still got good minutes then until his final two games with the team when he announced he was leaving to get healthy and focus on the draft.  

I haven't seen anything suggesting that he and Coach K had a falling out but that is certainly one possible explanation for it.  If he continued to be hurt, it would have made sense to get healthy prior to the draft especially if his inconsistent play while hurt led to him being benched.  Either way, I just  haven't seen those reports.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I haven't seen those.  I guess that would confuse me a bit because the first two HSs that he left were clearly ones where he was the best player and got all the minutes he wanted.  He never played a game at Oak Hill (getting injured before game 1) so that seems unlikely to be  a pure playing time issue but if he didn't gel with the coaches then maybe he feared they would not give him the minutes.  And at Duke he was getting plenty of minutes before getting hurt.  He was still injured some and got a lot of minutes before Coach K shifted his role to coming off the bench.  He still got good minutes then until his final two games with the team when he announced he was leaving to get healthy and focus on the draft.  

I haven't seen anything suggesting that he and Coach K had a falling out but that is certainly one possible explanation for it.  If he continued to be hurt, it would have made sense to get healthy prior to the draft especially if his inconsistent play while hurt led to him being benched.  Either way, I just  haven't seen those reports.

Facts. Just wasn't a good energy with his name obviously because there is no way she should have been there at 20. People had us picking Isaiah Jackson over him and that would have been a major mistake. 

I was just saying that because the negative media that came out about home gave me a bad taste in my mouth. Why am I trusting the media to influence my view on players, I don't know... Also, indirectly he probably was the reason we moved on from Knight. Subconsciously that had me like 😒 about the guy. 

After watching him in 1 summer league game, he MADE me change my mindset... I'm not one to just flip and get behind a player. He is uber talented. It's one of those situations where it's undeniable, to the point that, if he continues to progress, Collins days are numbered here. And that's not a bad thing at all...

I'm saying Collins because, I don't think you will be able to justify Collins being ahead of him after a few years... He's more talented than him. Collins is a vet and more polished at this point but JJ can defend 1-5 and play 3-5 offensively... Collins can only dream to be that versatile. 

Edited by gHost83

• Premium Member

Not surprising.

Over the last week, multiple reports have been circling that Gallinari was being shopped, or at least was drawing some interest as a trade piece. The Minnesota Timberwolves have been mentioned as the most likely landing spot for the big man if a trade was going to happen. The Wolves are still a young team, similar to the Hawks, who need a player who can space the floor and hit some threes for them. Gallinari could be a perfect fit for the Wolves.What makes Gallinari even more attractive is the contract he is currently on. He has two years remaining with around $42.0 million owed to him over the next two years. The kicker is the second year is partially guaranteed for only $5.0 million dollars. That makes him a very valuable trade piece if the Wolves continue to be at the bottom of the West.

It’s all rumor at this point of the season but it would make a lot of sense to move on from Gallo for the financial reasons and the depth reasons. The roster is full of young talent like De’Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish and the new arrivals from the Hawks got from the NBA Draft last month. Gallo has turned himself into a valuable asset after the success he and the Hawks both experienced. Now would be the time to move on from Gallinari if the right deal presented itself.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Someone here told us all back-when, or at least hinted at it.

And... back-when was weeks ago, so I'm not sure that the interest isn't by now seriously past tense given all the activity that's occurred since then... most prominently, MIN's Rubio trade, which would naturally seem to have been a potential asset in any MIN/ATL trade before we dealt for Delon.

Just now, sturt said:

Someone here told us all back-when, or at least hinted at it.

And... back-when was weeks ago, so I'm not sure that the interest isn't by now seriously past tense given all the activity that's occurred since then... most prominently, MIN's Rubio trade, which would naturally seem to have been a potential asset in any MIN/ATL trade before we dealt for Delon.

:smile: Spud strikes again!

Question:  If he was a free agent on another team and we had payroll room, would we sign him?  Does he fit would be the main question, I believe.  The answer to both questions is, yes.

Therefore, if he wasn't already here we would want him to be.  Maybe not later but right now I want him to be a Hawk.  How about you?

:smug: