• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's left to be done?

capstone21

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Since it could be "official" Friday, I hope our trade was OK.  Any news?

:smug:

Seems it's still on...

.....not sure what Marcus Smart signing an extension has to do with this trade.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Marcis Smart

Did you misspell this or are you pulling a cagey purposeful error? 

MarKISS :indifferent: Marcis.. more like Marcissist. :unsure:

Truth be told I HAD always wanted Marcus Smart on the Hawks the last few years. Not the way we built it though, I’m good now.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Did you misspell this or are you pulling a cagey purposeful error? 

MarKISS :indifferent: Marcis.. more like Marcissist. :unsure:

Truth be told I HAD always wanted Marcus Smart on the Hawks the last few years. Not the way we built it though, I’m good now.

Lol. Misspelled. Fixed.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Mark Murphy huh. Even in his picture dude seems unreasonable and WRONG. :laugh1:

Know what else seems unreasonable and wrong?  That Smart extension.

Celtics should be moving on from that 'core.  We've seen the best they're ever gonna be and it wasn't good enough.

That extension smells like holding on too long.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Know what else seems unreasonable and wrong?  That Smart extension.

Celtics should be moving on from that 'core.  We've seen the best they're ever gonna be and it wasn't good enough.

That extension smells like holding on too long.

Brad's bringing the gang all back, lol.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

Ya know... I think the General is playing this perfectly now that I've let this settle in my otherwise puny brain.

There is no difference maker that's going to accept the minuscule minutes we can offer anyone at this point, and about a dozen other teams that have more cash to blow if they choose.

So, we've got 5 guys considered backcourt players (Trae, Delon, Lou, BogBog and Kvon).

We've got 5 guys considered frontcourt players (JC, Gallo, Jalen, Clint and Gorgui), plus a mid-season booster shot anticipated (OO).

Then, we've got 3 guys primarily considered small forwards (Dre, Cam and Solo).

And then, of those primarily backcourt and primarily frontcourt guys, you have 3 who legitimately can be dispatched to SF sometimes (BogBog, Kvon and Jalen).

That's balance.

So, why spend money until you see it's necessary? What kind of buyer's remorse might you be setting yourself up for, in the case that a backcourt guy goes down, but you've bet on a big? Or vice-versa?

Well thought-out from Hawks HQ.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

All things being equal and we suffer no more long-term injuries before OO's return, it is reasonable to expect that Schlenk at that point will take inventory again, and will strongly consider supplementing the backcourt with a SG/SF type.

Valentine is an example--not necessarily the exact player, but an example--of what I would anticipate Schlenk would both find (a) available and (b) sufficient to bring to the end of the bench then.

• Premium Member

Schlenk must be taking the two-ways into consideration, because the 15-man on its own is as balanced as can be--until OO gets back, at which time, it will be skewed toward bigs.

But yeah, if you add to the equation Skylar and Sharife, there's a missing counterweight to the other side. Except, who actually believes Skylar or Sharife aren't predestined to play the majority of their minutes in CP anyhow? That's why I wasn't counting either (see above).

Sooooooooooo, what's missing from Conti's report is an indication of whether Schlenk would lean toward a big who is a two-way, or on a standard contract.

What is needed? How about the Hawks practice their free throws. I know it's easy to over look but can make a difference in a playoff game. Improved shooting from the outside. Although the Hawks beat the 76ers I wish they had a guy like Curry. He just seemed to kill the Hawks.

Edited by thescout
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

If Capela and Collins can keep crashing the boards and improve their chemistry on offense, we are going to be very scary this year.  Especially when you consider Hunter will be back in the lineup full time to gel with our starters.  Cam/Heurter off the bench is going to be really nice.

• Premium Member

Finally broke down and did a trial sub to Cleaning the Glass this morning, remembering that there were stats cited during the season using that as the source, establishing that the combo of Hunter-Collins-Capela was among the elite defensive triads in the league.

What I've discovered just now is, when you add Huerter to that mix, the "quadrad" (is that a word?... it is now...) was, during the regular season and the 206 possessions-worth of data, in the 99th percentile in the league in on-court net score (off vs. def), 98th in offensive rebounding, and 100th in both scoring defense and effective FG%.

2021-08-10_09-01-31.png

• Like 3

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, sturt said:

Sooooooooooo, what's missing from Conti's report is an indication of whether Schlenk would lean toward a big who is a two-way, or on a standard contract.

Soooooooooooo.... not missing any more...

Once we get through the next few days of free agency and spots start drying up, there will more than likely be a good player left, that we’d have the option to bring to camp and give them opportunities to compete. We’re open minded...

Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, particularly those of you cheering for a Millsap reunion... that he says "there will more than likely be a good player left" is at least a pretty good indicator that the lean would be heavily toward a standard contract, and not a two-way.

But then again... when he says "we'd have the option to bring to camp," those words lead more toward the idea that we'll sign someone to a training camp deal (not a standard contract), and then "give him opportunity to compete"... which, doesn't actually lead one (or me, at least) to think he has in-mind signing an established, name brand player like Sap.

Rather, that leads me more toward a Vanderbilt or even a TJ Leaf (who played for McM, of course).

2021-08-10_10-08-03.png

2021-08-10_10-07-11.png