• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks sign Kevin Huerter to a 4 year, $65 Million contract extension

ATLHawks3

3 hours ago, marco102 said:

Update on Kevin to eleviate early concerns.

In 6 games as a starter, Kevin is averaging 15.5 pts, 3.7 reb and 2.7 assists on 60% from the field and 60% from three. That is more than solid. Defense has been solid the past few games too.

Huerter ceiling may not be as high as Cam or Hunters but we got to face reality as fans too and the reality is that Huerter has been more consistent and better than both Cam & Hunter so far in his career for the Hawks.

glad schlenk signed  him back!….and glad he’s a starter. Should have never been taken out of the starting lineup! He’s really in a groove right now too! Every shot he shoots up I think it’s going in.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 8:41 PM, JTB said:

Huerter ceiling may not be as high as Cam or Hunters but we got to face reality as fans too and the reality is that Huerter has been more consistent and better than both Cam & Hunter so far in his career for the Hawks.

glad schlenk signed  him back!….and glad he’s a starter. Should have never been taken out of the starting lineup! He’s really in a groove right now too! Every shot he shoots up I think it’s going in.

He was up and down with his own injury luck too for his first couple of years. And until Nate took over, he was just as much of a defensive liability as Trae was. The way he turned things around last season was awesome. Nights when his shot didn't fall, he was still able to give us some good defensive minutes.

Kev's cold streaks have become further and further apart. He can now give us consistent shooting night in and out.

I agree that he has become the best of the 3 particularly on the back of availability and reliability. The ceilings are still higher on Cam and Dre. If they could stay on the court it would do wonders for their development.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

They really do.   If they were all healthy tomorrow it would be hard at this point to knock Bogi/Kev out of the starting lineup.

Agreed.  Also hope if they were all healthy tomorrow we would do a better job of mixing and matching starters and reserves than we were doing early in the season.

• Like 4

Update.  Kevin as a starter.

GP MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
15 31.5 5.6-10.3 54.2 2.7-5.4 50.6 0.7-0.7 90.9 0.3 3.0 3.3 2.9 0.3 0.5 1.9 1.4 14.6

Those numbers tell me Kevin is super efficient. He needs to be more aggressive and taking more shots.  With Bogi out, I'd like to see him at about 15 shots per game.

On the season,  he's shooting 48.4% and 41.2% from three.  We need aggressive Kevin. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3

Kevin is still turnover prone when he tries to do too much. I dont mind him hunting his shot if it means not settling for a 3 all the time. But I don't want him trying to create offense for others in clutch situations. Either get the ball and go, or get rid of it. 

18 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Kevin is still turnover prone when he tries to do too much. I dont mind him hunting his shot if it means not settling for a 3 all the time. But I don't want him trying to create offense for others in clutch situations. Either get the ball and go, or get rid of it. 

Yeah those 1.4 turnovers a game are really killing us.  Kevin isn't too turnover prone. Most of his turnovers are making the right play and just poor execution or fumbled passes.

15 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Yeah those 1.4 turnovers a game are really killing us.  Kevin isn't too turnover prone. Most of his turnovers are making the right play and just poor execution or fumbled passes.

When trying to do too much, especially in clutch situations.

Did you watch last night? He definitely hurt us with those 2 late game turnovers.

One of the biggest reasons we have lost close games late, is guys not named Trae trying to be Trae and keeping the ball out of Trae's hands in the process.

It's not just Kev, but this a Kev thread. 

2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

When trying to do too much, especially in clutch situations.

Did you watch last night? He definitely hurt us with those 2 late game turnovers.

One of the biggest reasons we have lost close games late, is guys not named Trae trying to be Trae and keeping the ball out of Trae's hands in the process.

It's not just Kev, but this a Kev thread. 

It's just recency bias. In most situations, he's been good is all I'm saying.  Yes, last night he turned the ball over, but you seem to think that Kevin shouldn't have the ball in high leverage situations.  He should have the ball because he's shown to be a good ball handler in the toughest situations. See last year's playoffs.

He isn't turnover prone like your original post indicated.  He had a bad turnover game yesterday, that doesn't mean we shouldn't go to him down the stretch. He's 23 years old and averages 1.4 turnovers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

It's just recency bias. In most situations, he's been good is all I'm saying.  Yes, last night he turned the ball over, but you seem to think that Kevin shouldn't have the ball in high leverage situations.  He should have the ball because he's shown to be a good ball handler in the toughest situations. See last year's playoffs.

He isn't turnover prone like your original post indicated.  He had a bad turnover game yesterday, that doesn't mean we shouldn't go to him down the stretch. He's 23 years old and averages 1.4 turnovers. 

My original post had a qualifier that you continue to omit. 

Im not calling him turnover prone at default. I said he is when he tries to do too much. That is a key part of the statement. I started noticing this long before last night. Good news is, he generally DOESNT try to do too much.

But there are times, when the pressure is on, his heart starts to beat like a rabbit and he makes mental mistakes.

He is not alone in this. A lot of the young guys participate in this. But this is a Kev thread. And I think that he has a great role now, and asking him to do more and be more aggressive may result in that shiny 1.4 to/per game you keep mentioning to climb. 

2.4 assists , 1.4 turnovers.

That's the same as Trae averaging 5.6 TO's to get his 9.5 assists.

Im on board with Kev always shooting open shots and getting to his midrange looks. Im not on board with him trying to lead the offense in high leverage situations.

There is a clear distinction

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

My original post had a qualifier that you continue to omit. 

Im not calling him turnover prone at default. I said he is when he tries to do too much. That is a key part of the statement. I started noticing this long before last night. Good news is, he generally DOESNT try to do too much.

But there are times, when the pressure is on, his heart starts to beat like a rabbit and he makes mental mistakes.

He is not alone in this. A lot of the young guys participate in this. But this is a Kev thread. And I think that he has a great role now, and asking him to do more and be more aggressive may result in that shiny 1.4 to/per game you keep mentioning to climb. 

2.4 assists , 1.4 turnovers.

That's the same as Trae averaging 5.6 TO's to get his 9.5 assists.

Im on board with Kev always shooting open shots and getting to his midrange looks. Im not on board with him trying to lead the offense in high leverage situations.

There is a clear distinction

You can say this about anybody though.  What is doing too much? Who doesn't turn the ball over whenever they try to do too much?  Kevin has shown that he doesn't do that too often so I don't know what the point of your post is.

The point of my post was you are complaining about something that doesn't happen too often. Kevin has been one of our most clutch players in the past couple of seasons.

Kevin can handle the ball.  If he couldn't, he wouldn't have destroyed Philly in game seven.  Even with all the pressure of the playoffs he  had 2.8 assists to 1.1 turnovers. 

The biggest game of his career, Game 7 versus Philly,  where he was handling the ball a ton against pressure and getting to his spots he had 3 assists to 1 turnover.

So again, are you complaining because he's not perfect out there? He's 23 years old, what are you expecting?

Edited by marco102

31 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You can say this about anybody though.  What is doing too much? Who doesn't turn the ball over whenever they try to do too much?  Kevin has shown that he doesn't do that too often so I don't know what the point of your post is.

The point of my post was you are complaining about something that doesn't happen too often. Kevin has been one of our most clutch players in the past couple of seasons.

Kevin can handle the ball.  If he couldn't, he wouldn't have destroyed Philly in game seven.  Even with all the pressure of the playoffs he  had 2.8 assists to 1.1 turnovers. 

The biggest game of his career, Game 7 versus Philly,  where he was handling the ball a ton against pressure and getting to his spots he had 3 assists to 1 turnover.

So again, are you complaining because he's not perfect out there? He's 23 years old, what are you expecting?

Not complaining. Making a counterargument to the suggestion that he needs to do more. And providing reasons why I disagree.

I make the same observations with everyone on the roster. I don't care that Kev is only 23, because neither do our opponents. We all agreed that youth as an excuse was no longer. We are trying to compete. So, I see a 4th year player with an important role who sometimes flashes more. Great. I like him in that role.

I do not love the idea of giving him more responsibility, mainly because of how volatile this team can be down the stretch of important games against good teams. 

I don't see anything unfair about my position. I have nothing against Kev. I don't believe that can be misunderstood at this point.

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Not complaining. Making a counterargument to the suggestion that he needs to do more. And providing reasons why I disagree.

I make the same observations with everyone on the roster. I don't care that Kev is only 23, because neither do our opponents. We all agreed that youth as an excuse was no longer. We are trying to compete. So, I see a 4th year player with an important role who sometimes flashes more. Great. I like him in that role.

I do not love the idea of giving him more responsibility, mainly because of how volatile this team can be down the stretch of important games against good teams. 

I don't see anything unfair about my position. I have nothing against Kev. I don't believe that can be misunderstood at this point.

Got it.  23 years old is peak form for all our players and we shouldn't put them in positions to continue to learn and grow because we are championship or bust.