• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The HAWKS Next 20 Games Before the Trade Deadline

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Hawks are currently 16-19, a less than stellar record than we all anticipated. A plethora or reasons why.  We still have a chance to right the ship since we are but 3.5 games back from the #5 seed. We need to start making up ground NOW. Hopefully, we will be getting most of our NBA roster back over this upcoming week.

Hunter should be back sometime around January 12th.

There are 20 games until the trade deadline to make a serious push up the standings.

12 at home, 8 on the road - starting with the continued west coast trip Blazers, Kings, Lakers, Clippers - I would be happy If we can go 2-2 before heading home. Although, home has not been kind to the Hawks. We have had some unexpectedly brutal home losses so we really need to turn things around at home to make any headway.

Questions:

1. What will our record be over the next 20 games?

2. What do you want to see happen with the rotations assuming mostly healthy? 

3. What would our record need to be for us to have to make a trade:

a. to improve immediately (not quite there)

b. to stand pat (we're winning good)

c. look to next season (we're losing)

4. What off/under the radar move you'd like to see (meaning not the 'trade for an Allstar' move as that's a given)?

• Like 2

1. I can see a range, but my realistic expectation is 14-6.  

2. I think when OO gets back it'll solve a lot of the 4th quarter issues we have when teams pull Capela out with stretch bigs.  So more OO in the 4th quarter.

3.  Don't think we need to make any trades.  Already have too many mouths to feed.  I think trades should come after the season.

4. None.

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1

1. 13 - 7 

2. Skylar Mays has shown with increased opportunity that he's a solid rotational combo guard off the bench. He has really high IQ on both sides of the ball and he can knock down open threes. I think he should take Lou's minutes. When everyone is healthy, the starting lineup should be Trae, Cam, Dre, JC, and CC. We need to have our best defensive lineup to start the game. Bogi and K'Von can run the second unit. 

3. 7 - 13.

4. Trade Gallo, a protected 2nd, and Dieng to Orlando for Garry Harris and Robin Lopez.

Waive TLC, and look for a serviceable PF in the buyout market. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Cleveland should consider a Simmons trade, If Morey will lower his asking price a bit. Simmons could provide playmaking and another long defender. That's a big commitment though. The might just want to run it back next year with Rubio and Sexton recovered from injuries. 

No offense, but this is Hawk Talk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1.  I'm not expecting more than 12 wins over the next 20 games.  We have so many guys coming back from protocols and injuries that it will be hard for everyone to come back in rhythm with good chemistry.  

2.  The rotations are going to be jumbled, too.  Will only say Bogi and Huerter are the most reliable starters.  Okongwu over Dieng.  

3. Making a trade based off our record is reactive thinking.  A trade is dependent on who is available, and if they improve our team.  Still, our results already indicate we should be looking to improve via trade.  

4. Easiest move to make is finding the right PG or combo guard to lead our 2nd unit.  A GM has more intell on who is available.  I don't get into predicting who the player is, but I can identify the need.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

1.  I'm not expecting more than 12 wins over the next 20 games.  We have so many guys coming back from protocols and injuries that it will be hard for everyone to come back in rhythm with good chemistry.  

2.  The rotations are going to be jumbled, too.  Will only say Bogi and Huerter are the most reliable starters.  Okongwu over Dieng.  

3. Making a trade based off our record is reactive thinking.  A trade is dependent on who is available, and if they improve our team.  Still, our results already indicate we should be looking to improve via trade.  

4. Easiest move to make is finding the right PG or combo guard to lead our 2nd unit.  A GM has more intell on who is available.  I don't get into predicting who the player is, but I can identify the need.  

D.J. Augustin piqued my interest when we played the Rockets a few weeks back. Corey Joseph is another intriguing target as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• JayBirdHawk changed the title to The HAWKS Next 20 Games Before the Trade Deadline
  • Moderators

12-8

We're basically .500 if you take away the bs losses.   We've played like dirt all year but still .500.  I think they are hungry to play as a team again.   Of course a lot depends on getting guys healthy.   If they were all back for next game i'd think we'd do even better. 

• Thanks 1

13 and 7

Trae, Bogi, Dre, JC, Capela.  I think Cam needs to feel like a primary offensive option and he can only do that on the bench for the rest of this season.  
Therefore, Wright, Huerter, Cam, OO, Gallo is our second unit.   

a. to improve immediately (not quite there) 9-11

b. to stand pat (we're winning good) 13-7

c. look to next season (we're losing) 6-14

4. What off/under the radar move you'd like to see (meaning not the 'trade for an Allstar' move as that's a given)?

IF we are winning well, but Gallo is not contributing a great deal, then I would jettison him to someone who feels he can help them in the playoffs.  This would remove our $5 million buy-out obligation to him next year if we choose to cut him then.  I'd take a second rounder. 

The next 20 games are very favorable if you ask me.

The Suns are the only loss I would predict in advance. The Bucks, Bulls, Heat x3, Lakers x2 and Clippers are games that I can see us splitting  as we get back healthy.

I think 12 to 15 wins is reasonable. As long as we can get above .500 by the All Star break Im happy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, marco102 said:

1. I can see a range, but my realistic expectation is 14-6.  

2. I think when OO gets back it'll solve a lot of the 4th quarter issues we have when teams pull Capela out with stretch bigs.  So more OO in the 4th quarter.

3.  Don't think we need to make any trades.  Already have too many mouths to feed.  I think trades should come after the season.

4. None.

To your point #3.

I would only make a trade if it definitely benefits us.   I don't want to see us trade for the future... addition by subtraction... or a net Zero. 

I would like to see us take advantage of the other team in a trade.  i.e. a non playoff team is trying to drop salary and looking to move a good player for picks and ending contracts or shorter contracts.    And that player has to fit our immediate need. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

To your point #3.

I would only make a trade if it definitely benefits us.   I don't want to see us trade for the future... addition by subtraction... or a net Zero. 

I would like to see us take advantage of the other team in a trade.  i.e. a non playoff team is trying to drop salary and looking to move a good player for picks and ending contracts or shorter contracts.    And that player has to fit our immediate need. 

The trades that will do that, I don't think will happen because of COVID.  That's why I'm not wasting energy thinking about trades.  From Supes thread, management is in a holding pattern this season it appears.

Of course, if the Bucks offer up Giannis, we should give up whatever they want not named Trae Young, but again, that's not going to happen.

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

The trades that would do that, I don't think will happen because of COVID.  That's why I'm not wasting energy thinking about trades.  From Supes thread, management is in a holding pattern this season it appears.

Of course, if the Bucks offer up Giannis, we should give up whatever they want not named Trae Young, but again, that's not going to happen.

You mean supes Inside guy?

Slow Laugh GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The next 20 games are very favorable if you ask me.

The Suns are the only loss I would predict in advance. The Bucks, Bulls, Heat x3, Lakers x2 and Clippers are games that I can see us splitting  as we get back healthy.

I think 12 to 15 wins is reasonable.

"As long as we can get above .500 by the All Star break Im happy". 

I'd be thrilled with this..........

• Like 2

I realistically believe it’s possible we are at .500 over the next 20 or slightly above at 12-10…IF healthy.

unfortunately I don’t know if some of our 4th quarter issues are fixed and that’s my biggest concern regarding the record.

I see McMillan being stubborn to what wasn’t already working as planned and rolling back out the same rotation he was using before injuries and COVID took place. Bogi and Hunter will be starters again with cam, Huerter, Gallo, and Lou coming off the bench getting majority of those minutes. Delon if healthy may steal Lou’s minutes. Skylar is back in the dog house. The only difference McMillan will be making is using Big O more so perhaps less Collins and Gallo on the floor together lineups….now that’s just the reality I see happening.

what I think should happen as far as rotations go cases on what we’ve seen is this….

-Cam need to start at SG and grow with the starters. This gives us another good defender by Trae and his offense has picked up enough where he’s at the least a reliable spot up 3pt shooter. Hunter is definitely going to get back his starter position based on defense. McMillan said not long ago he felt that Hunter sets the tone defensively for the team.

-With cam as a starter obviously that puts Bogi and Huerter coming off the bench. With Delon Wrights improvement during the majority teams absence and adjusting to our scheme I really believe he probably would be better offensively since Bogi and Huerter plays off of each other so well. Plus Gallo can handle the ball some and run plays at times. Really Mays should be given the opportunity to be Traes backup going forward but I don’t see it happening and that’s unfortunate. (Lou shouldn’t be used as a regular rotation guy….Lou is like Gallo in a sense….you want him in the playoffs because of the experience and knowing, understanding the intensity of the games)

-last Big O need to start finishing games. Capela days of finishing games may be over with. Big O is the go to center easily to close out an opponent in my opinion. Big O is hybrid you can play him vs big and small units. Capela you can’t play him vs shooting centers too long.

IF we go 10-10 over the next 20 or slightly under I would like to make a good trade! Not a big blowup trade or anything like that so I guess I’m somewhat a “B”…stand pat for the most part UNLESS you can acquire a star player to pair with Trae.

a good trade however if it were possible would be trading for Malcom Brogdan and giving up one of our wings in Bogi or Huerter (probably Bogi for me since he’s older). Brogdon fits well with  Trae.

I’d also like a move for Gary Harris but not sure what to give up in a trade for him.

maybe some would entertain a Sabonis trade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks are currently 16-19, a less than stellar record than we all anticipated. A plethora or reasons why.  We still have a chance to right the ship since we are but 3.5 games back from the #5 seed. We need to start making up ground NOW. Hopefully, we will be getting most of our NBA roster back over this upcoming week.

Hunter should be back sometime around January 12th.

There are 20 games until the trade deadline to make a serious push up the standings.

12 at home, 8 on the road - starting with the continued west coast trip Blazers, Kings, Lakers, Clippers - I would be happy If we can go 2-2 before heading home. Although, home has not been kind to the Hawks. We have had some unexpectedly brutal home losses so we really need to turn things around at home to make any headway.

Questions:

1)  PROJECTED RECORD THE NEXT 20 GAMES:  10 - 10. 

Getting all of our people back only matters if everyone is playing up to acceptable levels and if Nate is making the correct adjustments.

Does Nate start Bogi & Huerter .. Bogi & Cam .. or Huerter & Cam?

Does Nate play Gallo some at the 3, strictly use him at the 4, or cut his PT altogether?

Does Delon start playing like a legit combo guard that looks to score and pass?

Does Collins raise his level of play?

There's still a lot of question marks with this team.

2) ROTATION SUGGESTIONS:

Play Gallo at the 3 in a bigger lineup. Start Cam to see if he can continue this recent level of play. Give Okongwu spot minutes at the 4. Stop playing the "all-bench" lineups.

3) TRADE SCENARIOS:

a) We fall 8 games under .500 after the next 20 games and are out of the playoff picture:

- trade our best or most desirable wing for a vet upgrade at SF or PF

- Flip Capela for Myles Turner

b) We're still slightly below. 500 and 8th - 10th in the East:

- Talk to Indy and see who they want to deal for a draft pick. 

c) We're losing with little shot at the playoffs

- make a decision to keep 2 of our 4 current rotation wings, trade the other 2

- trade Capela and/or Gallo

- trade Wright

- call up Sharife and Jalen, and let them get major minutes after the all-star break.

4) OFF THE RADAR MOVE:

- Acquire Jeremi Grant from Detroit .. or

- Acquire Josh Hart from New Orleans .. or

- Acquire Marvin Bagley from Sacramento

• Thanks 3