• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Cwell said:

That doesn't even make sense. It's not mental when he makes contact with another player and his body starts flailing out of control. That's purely functional strength.

It doesn't matter how much I "think" i'm stronger than Shaq. Nine times of Nine a 7'1 300 pound guy is gonna move a 6'2 200 pound guy with no problem

You right about him not being stronger than the guys he is running into but the question is why is he always diving into players when he can pump fake and take a slight bump and take the shot?  Or do a hesitation move and catch the defender off balance And then make contact where he has the momentum?   Those are the nuances that Trae uses to get the and 1s.  He will get there as long as he gets the opportunities to figure this out. 

• Premium Member

I think he just is going too fast right now, gets himself off balance.  He has size and athleticism, he needs to just get more controlled with his movements and stay balanced when driving.  I think he could get stronger but doesn't necessarily need to.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

You right about him not being stronger than the guys he is running into but the question is why is he always diving into players when he can pump fake and take a slight bump and take the shot?  Or do a hesitation move and catch the defender off balance And then make contact where he has the momentum?   Those are the nuances that Trae uses to get the and 1s.  He will get there as long as he gets the opportunities to figure this out. 

Those "slight bumps" spin his whole body around and make him lose the ball, which goes back to him being weak

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Cwell said:

Those "slight bumps" spin his whole body around and make him lose the ball, which goes back to him being weak

Lol. I can’t front, he does seem to explode when he gets hit. But he has got to be stronger than Trae. He should be able to anticipate contact and use his and the defenders momentum to his advantage. If he does this through out this season, I will come back here to point it out. 

3 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

Lol. I can’t front, he does seem to explode when he gets hit. But he has got to be stronger than Trae. He should be able to anticipate contact and use his and the defenders momentum to his advantage. If he does this through out this season, I will come back here to point it out. 

Yeah size really shouldn't be the issue. It's more of an anticipation and balance thing. If you aren't practicing with contact then you will never get used to it.

Even a tiny guy like Sharife can run in to defenders 3x his size and not get bulldozed. He will manage to stay upright through his gather and finish before falling to the ground. Guys like him and Trae know how use their size and the defenders momentum to their advantage. 

This is where the savviness worries me with Cam. His balance is Marvin like. His momentum always takes him downward and he loses vertical explosion with contact. He somehow manages to be towered over by defenders. 

Year 3. No more excuses for the kid, he has to make improvements.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yeah size really shouldn't be the issue. It's more of an anticipation and balance thing. If you aren't practicing with contact then you will never get used to it.

Even a tiny guy like Sharife can run in to defenders 3x his size and not get bulldozed. He will manage to stay upright through his gather and finish before falling to the ground. Guys like him and Trae know how use their size and the defenders momentum to their advantage. 

This is where the savviness worries me with Cam. His balance is Marvin like. His momentum always takes him downward and he loses vertical explosion with contact. He somehow manages to be towered over by defenders. 

Year 3. No more excuses for the kid, he has to make improvements.

I think with Trae and Cooper learning to take contact as smaller guys has been a need for them since they have been playing ball.

Cam was probably bigger than those he played against so he could overpower them. 

Like you said it's about balance,  anticipation AND CONCENTRATION. He gets knocked off his spot too easily and doesn't use his height and length to his advantage.

Could be because he's still growing into that 6'-13" frame 🤔 :ph34r::stirthepot:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

This is a BIG year for Cam!

The players I’m most curious about what their roles are going to be and how much they’ll actually play are Williams and Cam Reddish.

Williams is definitely going to play, but his role is likely going to be reduced now that the Hawks have Wright, who’s one of the better backup point guards in the league. But Williams’ scoring off the bench and his ability to run the pick-and-roll will get him playing time in some capacity at the point or even at the two next to someone like Huerter, who could handle point guard duties.

For Reddish, it wasn’t an accident that he played the most minutes for the Hawks in the preseason; McMillan made it clear how he needed to see what he had in him before the regular season began because he didn’t get to coach him in a game last season until the Eastern Conference finals. I thought Reddish was mostly what he’s been through his first two seasons, and that’s inconsistent. He, once again, showed flashes of being special, but he wasn’t able to fully put it together. He made 18 of his 52 field goal attempts and had just one assist in 92 minutes played. That’s not going to cut it, and with McMillan saying several times how there’s just no time to waste to get guys in a rhythm and to work through struggles, Reddish could see himself losing out on minutes.

34.6% shooting, 1 measly assist, 8/28 for 28% from 3 - that is some offensive offense.

tenor.gif 

He'd better bring up those offensive nimbers or will be on the outside looking in.

Hawks depth chart prediction 2.0: Regular-season roster is set with Atlanta eager to ‘earn more’ – The Athletic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is a BIG year for Cam!

34.6% shooting, 1 measly assist, 8/28 for 28% from 3 - that is some offensive offense.

tenor.gif 

He'd better bring up those offensive nimbers or will be on the outside looking in.

Hawks depth chart prediction 2.0: Regular-season roster is set with Atlanta eager to ‘earn more’ – The Athletic

His stats in the preseason are close to his career averages.  He just needs more time.  Right?

• Moderators

I'm sure it's been said but for Cam it's not just the lack of games.   He was hurt coming out of college so had no offseason work.  covid hit so he had no access to NBA training from March - the fall of 2020 sometime.  Then shut down again for injury last season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

There's a part of me that doesn't mind Hunter being on restricted minutes for awhile (assuming that happens)... ie, so that Cam gets significant playing time practically automatically and doesn't press.... to me, that's the key right now... Cam needs to get into a flow and not feel the weight of constantly having to feel his floor time is threatened by his next bad shot.

Fortunately, I think we have the right head coach who's going to be able to facilitate that flow regardless, but it's easier if Hunter isn't forcing the issue by playing so well that McM can't feel good about substituting him.

• Like 2