• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• 4 weeks later...

Note on Bogi:  When he became a Hawk, he was in recovery from Covid-19 and did not get completely well until he was out, injured.  Then and only then we get to see who we really have.  He's pretty good...

\:sun:

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I hear some jackasses who are Hawk fans like trade Cam Reddish. We literally just got a real coach. All of a sudden, Bogi doesn't look trash no more. Kevin has a pluse again. Everything is making sense. Let's give Cam a chance to get healthy and get some real f***ing coaching before we do anything with him. Bogi looking good again. He was trash for the most part under LP. I hate our fans sometimes.

You act like Nate wasn't on the staff this whole year. Bogi tends to be a slow starter, and then he got hurt. You are overlooking other factors and blaming everything on LP. If you want to blame coaching for Cam's problems then go ahead and fire Melvin Hunt, who has been Cam's primary one-on-one coach.

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Note on Bogi:  When he became a Hawk, he was in recovery from Covid-19 and did not get completely well until he was out, injured.  Then and only then we get to see who we really have.  He's pretty good...

\:sun:

Gray, would you say it has always been this way, or has the advent of widespread video basketball gaming maybe been a chief cause in some fans' perception of NBA players as-if comic book characters who only exist when the lights come on, but aren't actually real people who can be affected by real life events like real people are sometimes affected either for the better or worse physically or psychologically... ?

It just sometimes seems to me that certain fans just view anything real-life as equivalent to excuse-making, and it's especially unfortunate for players who are younger and for whom expectations are set so high in comparison to the expectations back in the era when players rarely came out of college until their junior year at the earliest... eg, when a Bill Willoughby kind of situation was a novelty.

Just curious to get your perspective.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Gray, would you say it has always been this way, or has the advent of widespread video basketball gaming maybe been a chief cause in some fans' perception of NBA players as-if comic book characters who only exist when the lights come on, but aren't actually real people who can be affected by real life events like real people are sometimes affected either for the better or worse physically or psychologically... ?

It just sometimes seems to me that certain fans just view anything real-life as equivalent to excuse-making, and it's especially unfortunate for players who are younger and for whom expectations are set so high in comparison to the expectations back in the era when players rarely came out of college until their junior year at the earliest... eg, when a Bill Willoughby kind of situation was a novelty.

Just curious to get your perspective.

Really, I suppose most of us view all pro players as some sort of super person, able to do all the wonderful things that we, mere human, are unable to do.  They shouldn't get injured and if they do, they are fine for the next game.  It's worse now than it's ever been.  We know more.  We expect a lot more.

:hi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Are they Squawkers? Go on...call 'em out. :laugh1:

None are Squawkers. At least I don't think so

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

You act like Nate wasn't on the staff this whole year. Bogi tends to be a slow starter, and then he got hurt. You are overlooking other factors and blaming everything on LP. If you want to blame coaching for Cam's problems then go ahead and fire Melvin Hunt, who has been Cam's primary one-on-one coach.

He wasn't the HC and tells the players what he wants them to do. That's a fact. 

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Can was always way more of a project than Hunter in that he had more developing to do and had a longer timeline to reach his ceiling.  Between injuries and Covid interruptions we are still fairly early on that timeline. Gotta have some patience.  He has the upside to be a major impact player but you aren’t going to get much more than a role player for him right now if you want to trade him.  Makes no sense to do anything but keep developing him.

It's strange, we had the most patient fanbase in 2006 when the talent was nowhere close to what it is now. The fanbase we got now was cool with trading Bogi which was crazy to me. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Lakers coach Frank Vogel spoke about Reddish’s defensive potential before they played the Hawks in February — Reddish’s primary assignment in that game was LeBron James.

“He’s got great upside on both sides of the ball but particularly on the defensive side of the floor,” Vogel said. “He really has good feet, obviously he’s got good length and good anticipation abilities. He’s a young player who’s still finding his way with all of the tricks that these vets have in this league, but he’s got tremendous upside on the defensive end.”

Figuring out what kind of player Reddish can be is such a challenge because of his ultra-bright moments where he looks like someone who has the potential to be a star on both ends of the floor, but then there are more examples where he just looks like a bigger version of former Hawks first-round pick DeAndre’ Bembry, who was known for his ability to guard wings and point guards and offered almost nothing offensively.

Reddish is just 21 years old. There’s still time for him to figure out where he fits in the NBA — if that’s with the Hawks or another organization. His former teammate Vince Carter believes confidence is key for Reddish.

“As last season wore on, he got better,” Carter told The Athletic last month. “He’s always had that defensive mindset. Defensively, he’s great. You see more confidence in him on that end. I listened to one of his interviews when he was talking about guarding LeBron. He said he wanted to make it tough for him. You could probably attest to this from talking with him, but last year he would say, ‘I am gonna go out there, and whatever happens happens.’ This year, he said, ‘I’m going to go out there and stop him.’

“It’s confidence. Confidence is really important. You can ask a guy month-to-month, week-to-week and ask what’s changed? It might be just seeing a shot go in or fixing something or seeing three shots go in, and it can make all of the difference. It’s all about confidence with him. He’ll get there.”

Since entering the league, Reddish’s words would make you believe confidence is a strength of his. He once told The Athletic during his brutal slump in his rookie season that he’s “still a bucket,” and he said before this season how we all would see a better, improved version of him. Both of those comments are still to be determined. Watching him on the floor, his confidence is a different story. He frequently drops his head after missing shots and lollygags back on defense thinking about the missed shot.

This can be fixed, and there’s still hope that he turns into the player so many in the Hawks organization believe he can be. Several teammates said Reddish looked like one of the best players this offseason when the returnees all traveled to California for some pickup games, and Reddish locked up Kevin Durant.

With Bogdan Bogdanovic playing at this level, De’Andre Hunter’s growth in fewer games played than Reddish and Huerter’s improvement, I’m not sure where that leaves Reddish in the mix moving forward. I’m not saying he needs to be traded — wings at his size who can defend have value — but from what he displayed in Year 2, there doesn’t seem like there’s a clear path to being a starter on this roster soon.

There are numerous reasons to not give up on a player so early in his career. Just look at Barrett with the Knicks, Darius Garland and Collin Sexton with the Cavaliers, Miles Bridges and Malik Monk with the Hornets and even Hunter (many, myself included, thought Reddish was clearly the better prospect between the two of them coming into the season).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:42 PM, NBASupes said:

It's strange, we had the most patient fanbase in 2006 when the talent was nowhere close to what it is now. The fanbase we got now was cool with trading Bogi which was crazy to me. 

Bogi has been on fire since this post. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Stumbled on to this pre-draft assessment of Cameron Elijah Reddish... and I know this is dangerous talk... but it's got me thinking.

Nothing's certain, of course, but after this season's in the books, many of us anticipate that Lou Will will hang up his sneakers, and there will be (once again) an opening in the depth chart behind Trae.

And I'm tantalized by the idea of Cam getting a crack at taking that role.

https://theathletic.com/632836/2018/11/05/2019-nba-draft-prospects-cameron-reddish-preseason-scouting-profile/

2021-05-24_20-31-45.png