• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Kevin defense gotta get better. Outside of Toronto. His defense hasn't been up to snuff. Excluding Dallas game

How can you be a good defender when youre afraid of contact? Maybe that's why he just lets players blow by him..lol

Tony Snell needs to start at SF.

His defense is just as good as Cam's without the turnover potential. He is just a smart, strong positional defender. And he can actually hit an outside shot when open. That's literally all we are missing from the starting lineup is another shooting threat .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

His defense is just as good as Cam's without the turnover potential. He is just a smart, strong positional defender. And he can actually hit an outside shot when open. That's literally all we are missing from the starting lineup is another shooting threat .

Yeah we have to have some type of offensive production at Sf to replace Hunter..And Cam aint it right now..

Edited by terrell

58 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Tony defense is no where near as good as Cam. You guys gotta get out of the old logic that man defense equals good defense. I thought we covered this with Bembry. There is a lot into impactful defense in this league. The staff knows but we aren't getting many stops with Snell, Kevin, and Trae that's not Tony fought but he's not going to cover for Kevin and Trae massive amount of mistakes. 

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I love Snell but with Cam being inconsistent he's better off with the starters than the shaky bench.   Snell's steadiness is really needed when some of the starters aren't in the game.

I am with both parties. Bench him. I love and hate it. Why hate it, defense. Why love it, offense. Can't justify starting Cam being this inefficient. For the bench, love it for offense, hate it for defense. We aren't getting any stops and we will just get Clint in foul trouble with Tony and it is not Tony fault but Kevin and Trae are still bad defenders

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Snell starting is a temporary measure.  Got to get Cam's head on right and eventually we'll have Bogi, Dunn and Hunter back as well.

All that says to me is he has tougher sledding on the way.

Right now all that is required of him is to perform, later on with a healthy roster he’s going to have to OUTperform.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Tony defense is no where near as good as Cam. You guys gotta get out of the old logic that man defense equals good defense. I thought we covered this with Bembry. There is a lot into impactful defense in this league. The staff knows but we aren't getting many stops with Snell, Kevin, and Trae that's not Tony fought but he's not going to cover for Kevin and Trae massive amount of mistakes. 

Snell moves well for his size, doesnt get cheap fouls, and is overall just steady. Cam is boom or bust. He will make some amazing defensive plays, but he will also take big gambles and leave his teammate out to dry. The sample size is small, so if you are going back to his Detroit days I cant comment, but as of right now I do not see Snell's team defense as being some liability either, especially when he is alongside the first unit instead of the backups. 

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I love Snell but with Cam being inconsistent he's better off with the starters than the shaky bench.   Snell's steadiness is really needed when some of the starters aren't in the game.

I get this logic, but I think getting off to good starts is just as important as maintaining when Trae leaves the court. We have not been as good out of the gates in the majority of our games and a lot of times its because we are missing open shots. 

I dont see a Cam and Hill wing unit off the bench as being the worse thing ever. At least Hill would bark at Cam a little bit. And maybe if we can get off to better offensive starts, Cam's defense on the bench unit would do a better job of holding the lead in place.

Edited by RedDawg#8

51 minutes ago, AHF said:

Snell starting is a temporary measure.  Got to get Cam's head on right and eventually we'll have Bogi, Dunn and Hunter back as well.

It is definitely temporary. But its the right thing to do right now. We are not in development mode. You dont see Okongwu getting significant minutes just to play through his ups and downs. Cam needs to have a similar leash right now. 

4 hours ago, terrell said:

How can you be a good defender when youre afraid of contact? Maybe that's why he just lets players blow by him..lol

Lol. His issue is his strength. He's a smart defender who knows his strengths and weaknesses defensively but what you like which helps him for getting steals and causing potential turnovers as well as putting himself in shot contest position within the basket hurts him for on ball defense, team defense. Gives his man far too much space. Cam and him defensively are like coal and water. They take away from each other. Kevin is better with Bogi as is Cam. Bogi is at his best with Cam, not Hunter. Which is why his lineups are inconsistent. 

Edited by NBASupes

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So far Cam hasn't put even a dent in the NBA, so he's still has a lot to go before breaking it.  I still have high hopes for him.

Cam Reddish’s development

I think the reason Reddish’s sophomore season has been disappointing is because of how he ended his rookie season as well as the buzz around him this offseason in pickup games and workouts. 

Reddish has frequently said he’s not concerned about his shooting percentages, but at some point, the numbers have to matter — especially when they are as low as his. 

“I think with Cam, it’s just going to come down to repetition,” Schlenk said. “There’s a lot of guys who come into the league who weren’t known as shooters or didn’t have good shooting numbers and then over the course of two or three years, they become reliable shooters. I think the hard part about this is patience. We’re still talking about a 21-year-old kid who played last year in a shortened NBA season. He didn’t have a typical offseason to work because of the pandemic and is back out there again. I don’t see any reason to be concerned. I just think it’s natural. We want instant success out of all these guys right away, and certainly, we saw the big jump De’Andre was able to make this year from last year. Not everyone does that from Year 1 to Year 2. I think for Cam, it’s going to be about repetition and keep working at it.”

It’s easy to forget because they’re in the same draft class, but Hunter is almost a full two years older than Reddish and just a few months younger than Collins. There’s perspective needed when discussing the sophomore players for the Hawks, and maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that the older player accelerated more quickly than the younger one.

The Hawks mainly use Reddish as a spot-up shooter, with 36 percent of his plays coming on that action. He’s shooting under 30 percent on his spot-up shots while turning the ball over 7.4 percent of the time in spot-up situations. The turnovers tend to come when Reddish presses too hard to make something happen off the dribble instead of being patient and letting the game come to him.

Defensively, it’s a different story. He’s already good on that end, and it’s where his best outlook is. He has the ability to guard opposing teams’ best perimeter players because of his instincts and quick hands. The Hawks definitely miss Reddish’s defensive ability when he’s not in the lineup, and it’s why he’s playable right now even with his offense being as bad as it is.

John Collins’ future, Cam Reddish’s progress highlight Hawks’ second-half storylines – The Athletic

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So far Cam hasn't put even a dent in the NBA, so he's still has a lot to go before breaking it.  I still have high hopes for him.

John Collins’ future, Cam Reddish’s progress highlight Hawks’ second-half storylines – The Athletic

Cam was injured and recovering from surgery the entire offseason before his rookie year, and Covid kept him limited working out before his sophomore year. If anyone's development was truly hurt by the pandemic it was definitely Cam.

That being said, his percentages are historically low for anyone, even a rookie or young player. It's a bigger issue than people want to admit and while his defense makes him "playable" his poor shooting should disqualify him from being a starter on a team with real playoff aspirations. That's just the cold hard truth.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

2019 Redraft (The Athletic):

14. Cam Reddish, Atlanta (actual pick: 10th): Reddish has the best highlights and the worst lowlights of any player between 10 and 20 on this list. A big wing with fast hands, there is definite defensive stopper potential here, and that’s likely to be his calling card regardless of how the offense comes around.

Um, about that offense. Reddish is a minus shooter with an elbows-out form that offers little confidence he can become a consistent plus perimeter threat. Despite his size and athleticism, he struggles to finish around the basket, and his handle on the ball gets really wild. He’s also a bit older than some other one-and-dones, turning 22 in September.

• Premium Member

Cam only has one issue and when he figures it out, he will be unstoppable. He has all the skills you want in a basketball player and the perfect size.  Right now he is just attacking offensively and not setting his man up and then taking what they give him. Right now he is forcing the issue. Once he understands the defensive tendencies of his opponents, he can toy with them how ever he likes.  Nobody in NBA will be able to guard him.  He needs to study the players defending him and then attack. Deandre started doing this this season. If they play off, pull up jumper, if they close out, ball fake get good first step and attack the rim.  If the off defender is coming over to help based on his defensive assignment, pass the ball to his man. Read and react.  I still like him as a starter because he can play the guard position and Snell can’t. This will be especially important when Dre gets back.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

Cam only has one issue and when he figures it out, he will be unstoppable. He has all the skills you want in a basketball player and the perfect size.  Right now he is just attacking offensively and not setting his man up and then taking what they give him. Right now he is forcing the issue. Once he understands the defensive tendencies of his opponents, he can toy with them how ever he likes.  Nobody in NBA will be able to guard him.  He needs to study the players defending him and then attack. Deandre started doing this this season. If they play off, pull up jumper, if they close out, ball fake get good first step and attack the rim.  If the off defender is coming over to help based on his defensive assignment, pass the ball to his man. Read and react.  I still like him as a starter because he can play the guard position and Snell can’t. This will be especially important when Dre gets back.  

Dre was doing this even back in college. It took him his rookie year to get comfortable and now he is back to it, but that has always been a part of his game.

I do not like Cam as a starter anymore. I lobbied hard for him to start over Bogi, and now Im taking it back. He is too volatile night to night to be awarded a starting spot. He turned it around last season coming off of the bench, that may need to be his role until he can figure things out. I prefer Snell, but can live with Kev at SG before Cam right now tbh.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Dre was doing this even back in college. It took him his rookie year to get comfortable and now he is back to it, but that has always been a part of his game.

I do not like Cam as a starter anymore. I lobbied hard for him to start over Bogi, and now Im taking it back. He is too volatile night to night to be awarded a starting spot. He turned it around last season coming off of the bench, that may need to be his role until he can figure things out. I prefer Snell, but can live with Kev at SG before Cam right now tbh.

Keep in mind Deandre redshirted his first season. His percentages were always good but his output went up in his second playing season(technically his 3rd year at Virginia). 

• Like 1