• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins finger injury

JTB

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He hasnt played since the Bucks game. How would the finger injury explain his shooting slump prior to the injury? That makes no sence. 

Yes he did vs LAC (22 mins). I posted the video of Vince talking to him about wrapping the finger prior to the game.

He also missed 7 games with his foot injury, 1st game back was vs the Wizards where he came off the bench. The next game was vs Detroit. The Bucks game he played 19 minutes.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

No, That's a recent injury.

9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

He hasnt played since the Bucks game. How would the finger injury explain his shooting slump prior to the injury? That makes no sence. 

Apparently injured his finger in the Detroit game.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Ouch! Collins may miss serious time.

Collins has played with sprained fingers in the past, but never to this extreme. He played with a sprained finger in last season’s playoffs, still able to bend it but playing through the pain. He underwent an X-ray on his finger last week, and the results came back negative.

Deepak Chona, an orthopedic surgeon at Stanford University and the founder of SportsMedAnalytics, said Collins has a boutonnière deformity on his ring finger after examining an image provided to The Athletic. It’s related to a sprain but involves the structures that hold the tendons in place, so, essentially the person has trouble straightening the middle joint of the finger. It’s generally treated with the use of a splint full time, ranging from four to six weeks, followed by part-time use of the splint for another few weeks until the joint is able to straighten on its own. Surgery is needed in special cases, for instance, if the bone underneath the tendon is fractured, but that’s not common.

Chona said if Collins continues to play through this injury, his finger will not be able to undergo any meaningful healing, even over the course of several weeks, because the treatment requires the finger to be immobilized in a splint for the tissue to heal. The best-case scenario would be to hope for minimal partial healing in about two to three weeks and moderate improvement in his shooting with Collins becoming used to his shooting hand being compromised.

In Chona’s opinion, it’s “almost definite” Collins and the Hawks should not expect anywhere close to the efficiency Collins displayed prior to this injury. 

When asked what his thought process was on fighting through both injuries rather than resting, Collins admitted that it was tough for him to gauge. If the Hawks were out of the race, it wouldn’t be a difficult decision to make, but he wants to help Atlanta in the final stretch of the season.

“I’ve never had a foot injury like this where it’s prevented me more from wanting to put pressure on my foot,” Collins said. “I always feel like adrenaline and the playoffs, my body might be more adrenaline-filled and attack it in a different sense. I’m not 100 percent sure. My f***ing foot still has some pain. It’s not perfect.

“I always feel like for the team to fulfill its potential, you want all your players to be there and be ready. I obviously feel like I want to play. I want to be out there and make winning plays for my team. I’m just trying to understand these pain-management injuries that are more delicate to understand. I just want to go out there and win. I’m trying to manage the pain the right way if I can’t do anything to alleviate it throughout the rest of the season. It’s tough. I don’t want to come in here and be upset or angry because I’m not feeling well. I want to fix it if I can. It hasn’t been easy on me mentally to figure out what I want to do.”

Collins said his finger has progressively gotten worse because he’s jammed it in practices and games since he initially hurt it in the Detroit game. Because the finger isn’t close to healing, he’ll have to work through not being able to grip the ball properly, which is what he’s battling now. For his foot, Collins doesn’t have the same bounce as we’ve come to expect.

I applaud his effort in trying to play through both injuries but he may need to sit.

https://theathletic.com/3181117/2022/03/14/john-collins-injury-dilemma-poses-a-valid-question-regarding-the-hawks-at-this-point-am-i-hurting-or-helping/

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Oh boy!

told ya all weeks ago.   Foot sprains don't last this long.  No one sits out more than a week or two at the most for something so minor.

He's got something else going on in there more severe if it;'s still bugging him a  month later.

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Oh boy!

Just sit him for the rest of the year..  Hawks arent winning anything this season.. Theyre just gonna fk up his trade value.. smh

• Like 1