• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins finger injury

JTB

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

So if he’s playing with that fat finger it must be the foot thing. That finger is just crazy.

The foot is further along, the finger not so much - still can't grip the ball and is painful.

Lol #FatFinger

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Tough!

The clearest sign that John Collins isn’t his normal self on the court happened in the first three minutes of Game 2 Tuesday night. The Hawks forward got behind the Heat’s defense in transition, Trae Young delivered a perfect pass in stride, and Collins blew the layup at the rim.....I try to balance it out in a good way and tell myself that I’m just trying to go out there and play. I understand that it’s the risk I took knowing that if I go out there, there’s some stuff I can’t do or there will be stuff that I’m shaky with that I’m normally good at. That’s the battle and the tough part about this.”

He said his foot is “definitely more dull than what I’m used to,” but the pain is more manageable because life as a basketball player always includes battling some lower-body soreness. Collins said he received a PRP injection in his foot to speed up the recovery process. 

The finger is what’s bothering Collins most now. He said he can’t put much pressure on his right ring finger and isn’t supposed to bend it at all because he tore the ligament that helps the finger bend at the knuckle.

“I’m supposed to have a splint on it at all times and keep my hand as straight as possible,” Collins said. “That’s the dilemma I have, because how are you supposed to play basketball with a straight finger? You can’t. ......... this is my right hand, my shooting hand, the hand I use to grab rebounds — I do everything with this hand. It changes how I think, not necessarily how I play, but I just have to be more cautious with my finger.

“It changes how I fall, because I don’t want to put pressure on my finger. Gripping the rim on dunks is a challenge. I can’t do too much, but I feel like I can do enough to be helpful. It’s hard to get my touch on certain shots to get that instinctual feel because something is there that normally isn’t there. I’m trying to play through something I’m not used to playing with, and I have to do it at the highest level of basketball. It’s tough, and I’m trying to figure it out.”

When Clint Capela went down with his knee injury in the Cleveland game and it became apparent he was going to potentially miss all of the Miami series, there was no doubt in Collins’ mind that he needed to try stepping up, even with his own limitations. The original plan was to hopefully come back in the middle of the series to allow for extra healing, but Collins wanted to be out there immediately.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Really hurts to be missing CC entirely and have JC operating at 50%.  I can't imagine playing basketball with a finger looking like that.  Kudos to JC for playing through the pain (assuming that he isn't risking long-term damage in doing so which is on the Atlanta medical staff to determine).

• Like 3