• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pick #16.....

JayBirdHawk

3 hours ago, sturt said:

First... I'd be in favor of a cultural board rule that we all follow as conscientious citizens of Hawksquawk land that makes posting images that are larger than 480 pixels something that has the public-nose-picking effect... sure, there's no law against it, but if you do it, people are gonna notice and they're gonna be embarrassed for you.

Just sayin. 😉

I don’t care about any of that. :indifferent: :sarcastic:Allow me to retort! :angry2: … ok I’m not that angry but your are embarrassed for me because I posted an image from somewhere or something that was too big for your little desktop 🖥 to handle. :laugh: 

3 hours ago, sturt said:

ratcheting up our defense so that our already-superior offense can have optimal effect?

Hmm. Ok we don’t have either really. We don’t have an identity. Not many teams do outside of the scrubs right now and the Bucks and maybe a few others.. Miami. 

Do we need D. Absolutely. But we need a dude confident enough to be able to take over a key moment in a big way, defense or offense. We are star ⭐️ hunting right, injuries aside there is nobody a better match for Trae than Zion. He puts in on the floor and just has that mass talent. Again, I doubt anything happens as it rarely does but I put Collins, Huerter and a pick and possibly more into landing him. No way he’s not going full force from here. Mark my words. The kid is ready now. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I will say that I know losing him at some point may be necessary but I would be sorry to lose JC and I think a Zion deal would be built around him.

Yup. Agreed. JC is an awesome part of our organization. The elder statesmen and he leads by example on and off the court. Sometimes you gotta give quality to get it in certain deals just to elevate or change direction of the team. Lots of quality guys in the past were dealt that come to mind. Glen Rice…Vlade Divac, and Eddie Jones amongst others.

Again, do we need defense, ya certainly. Do we need another star, I guess we are looking. I think we’d have to pay a lot to get him but if you have a Trae Young and he’s on board with it, sometimes you gotta take a gamble. Maybe our identity will be iso our 1 and 4’s on other 1’s and 4’s and create mismatches and have elite shooters ready, maybe that’s the new NBA, I dunno where it’s headed but Zion is a dude that IS THAT GUY. Outside of that, we have the Ayton and Gobert but they are only super charges strictly by the help of Trae whereas Zion and Trae would be an awesome Duo but Zion could handle a lot of it alone as well if needed in the playoffs.

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ve learned to accept all you squawker for who you are, I’m too old to judge anyone about squat. As long as you love the Hawks and love talking about it then I love talking to you! One love 💗 

And who loves you most? For most of us (unfortunately not every single person), it's been our moms and/or dads.

And. Who cared so much about you that they disciplined you and tried to give you guidance to become your best self?

It's in that spirit... call me a Tiger Dad, if you're an Amy Chua fan... that I expect the best of each of my Hawksquawk family. Love, and such intense love, that I believe in you that you can be the very best, and I won't settle for less.

So, don't get all full of yourself when you submit a B or B+ post... you all are better than that. No "good enough" posts here. Don't click submit reply until it's the best effort you know you're capable of.

In the words of Sam Wyche, (slightly altered for context)... "You don't live in Boston! You live in Atlanta!" (... young-ins, youtube it, and enjoy).

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Hmm. Ok we don’t have either really.

That's patently absurd. By most measures, our offense was considerable, and more stunning than that... we could have been better. Give us a season of even-just-normal health, and we'd be making Doug Moe smile.

Here's the test everyone needs to have as a filter before coming to a conclusion:

What was I saying this time last year when we'd just seen essentially the same roster sans DeAndre Hunter run roughshod to a misplaced referee's foot being the plausible difference between a EC exit and an NBA title. (No question mark. That's a statement in the form of a question.) And why would I be so easily persuaded given the tortured health season this roster just endured that that young young young team now isn't actually capable after all, all of them having hit their ceilings, none or at least not enough of them able to continue to grow (ie, mind you, in their mid 20s).

It's patently absurd, and flush with recency bias, and contrarian to reason.

40 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

We don’t have an identity.

You know who was saying that this time last year?

Boston fans as they wondered if they should just blow it up.

Winning something significant is what gets you an identity.

Obtaining a star just gets you more time on NBA-related tv shows. It's not the holy grail.

And I love you and expect better of you. 😉

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Another guy I want to talk about. Dyson Daniels. He's a 6'7" 19 year old from Australia that can defend, has a great floater and is a very good passer. He needs to work on his outside shot but I think in terms of both potential and what he can immediately bring on the court as a very good defender he would be a great pickup for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

You know who was saying that this time last year?

No I mean something that we can identify with as an organization or culture (not Miami). Are we the transition offensive threat? Are we trying to be versatile? I think of mix of all but we need a lil more of a solid identity in my view, perhaps I’m asking for a definition that you don’t have or can’t supply me.

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

No I mean something that we can identify with as an organization or culture

Win something significant.

Then, people care about your identity enough to try to define it. And they will do that, certainly.

Until then, it's not actually that relevant to anything more than the NBA flapping gums, to give them another way to fill time. No one cares, or at least no one should care.

47 minutes ago, sturt said:

Win something significant.

Then, people care about your identity enough to try to define it. And they will do that, certainly.

Until then, it's not actually that relevant to anything more than the NBA flapping gums, to give them another way to fill time. No one cares, or at least no one should care.

The 90’s Jazz had an identity and they didn’t win anything. The Knicks of the 90’s, the Suns of the 00’s, need I go on? You’re not getting off that easy Stu.

Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

Another guy I want to talk about. Dyson Daniels. He's a 6'7" 19 year old from Australia that can defend, has a great floater and is a very good passer. He needs to work on his outside shot but I think in terms of both potential and what he can immediately bring on the court as a very good defender he would be a great pickup for us.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Im a fan, but there is almost 0 chance we can get him without a trade up. 

If we can get him at 16 and keep him I think we'd have a real steal on our hands. Like he would be starting in two years for us if that long.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Sothron said:

If given the choice, I would rather have Jalen Williams or N. Jovic.  In that order. I don't think we're looking for somebody to step up and be the second scorer, I think we're looking for somebody that fits. 

Just now, Diesel said:

If given the choice, I would rather have Jalen Williams or N. Jovic.  In that order. I don't think we're looking for somebody to step up and be the second scorer, I think we're looking for somebody that fits. 

I don’t think we are even getting to the part where they say.. the Atlanta hawks select..

I think the pick is traded quickly.

• Premium Member

Ya know.

Been thinkin.

And as opposed to trusting that our GM would be capable of making at trade that we don't lose, or if we don't lose it, that we'd just end up in some neutral position (but having inherently lost some chemistry that one only builds by having players play together for, literally, years)...

Think if Schlenk is going to trade, I'd prefer he pull a Hinkie, and just trade everyone, maybe even including Trae, to dominate this and another draft.

Drafting is what Schlenk has earned a reputation for doing pretty well.

Trading? Meh. Some good, some bad. Free agent acquisitions? Meh. Some good, some bad. Those are both areas where TS is decidedly more questionable.

Feel like it's fools gold and grass-is-greener-ism and all those other metaphors for us to throw-in the towel after an EC Finals season halted by a sprained ankle by the best player, and a .621 season that's gotten such shallow analyses. And so, if you're going to trade away a young core member... any... then that's more than tweaking... and to me, you might as well just make the most of the assets you have now to convert those into a new squad that you can develop after all.

14 minutes ago, sturt said:

Ya know.

Been thinkin.

And as opposed to trusting that our GM would be capable of making at trade that we don't lose, or if we don't lose it, that we'd just end up in some neutral position (but having inherently lost some chemistry that one only builds by having players play together for, literally, years)...

Think if Schlenk is going to trade, I'd prefer he pull a Hinkie, and just trade everyone, maybe even including Trae, to dominate this and another draft.

Drafting is what Schlenk has earned a reputation for doing pretty well.

Trading? Meh. Some good, some bad. Free agent acquisitions? Meh. Some good, some bad. Those are both areas where TS is decidedly more questionable.

Feel like it's fools gold and grass-is-greener-ism and all those other metaphors for us to throw-in the towel after an EC Finals season halted by a sprained ankle by the best player, and a .621 season that's gotten such shallow analyses. And so, if you're going to trade away a young core member... any... then that's more than tweaking... and to me, you might as well just make the most of the assets you have now to convert those into a new squad that you can develop after all.

You keep bringing up our theoretical regular season win percentage. Did you watch the our series against the Heat? We were thoroughly out classed. It's as if many on the Squawk are pretending that didnt happen.