• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pick #16.....

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Here's a what-if for ya.

If I recall correctly, the poll of the last month revealed that about 3/4 of us ended up saying we don't see Schlenk keeping #16.

And many if not most of us indicated that that's somewhat if not largely based in the reasoning that anyone chosen is so unlikely to be inserted into the rotation in the first place, let alone contribute in any substantial way to the team re-asserting itself as a EC Finals participant, and possible NBA Finals one.

But it occurs to me, that doesn't have to mean that Schlenk isn't still on the prowl for young talent... it just means he's not likely to be on the prowl for totally green rookie talent.

So, turning that page...

What if Schlenk were to use an older established asset... in this case I'm going to say BogBog... as a key element in obtaining a recent high draft choice?

That is, one whose team plausibly... and according to bloggers assessing their team's needs for 22-23... is looking for some senior leadership on their roster, and whose draft pick didn't light the world on fire in his rookie season (thus plausibly not someone necessarily off-limits)... and and... who talk on the street and on the Squawk had been during that player's draft that Schlenk had been targeting him if he was able to move up... ???

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, sturt said:

But it occurs to me, that doesn't have to mean that Schlenk isn't still on the prowl for young talent... it just means he's not likely to be on the prowl for totally green rookie talent.

So, turning that page...

What if Schlenk were to use an older established asset... in this case I'm going to say BogBog... as a key element in obtaining a recent high draft choice?

That is, one whose team plausibly... and according to bloggers assessing their team's needs for 22-23... is looking for some senior leadership on their roster, and whose draft pick didn't light the world on fire in his rookie season (thus plausibly not someone necessarily off-limits)... and and... who talk on the street and on the Squawk had been during that player's draft that Schlenk had been targeting him if he was able to move up... ???

See below:

On 4/29/2022 at 7:54 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

While it seems more likely than not we trade the pick this year, IF: 

1. We kept the pick, what position should we target and who should we select?

2. We trade the pick Capela style (we also traded #16 for him) who should we target for a player upgrade using the following scenarios:

-Gallo + #16 =

-Bogi + #16 =

-Huerter + #16 =

-Collins + #16 =

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

See below:

I hear that, but I'm suggesting the #16 being part of a whole other trade, and just BogBog straight-up for... saaaaaaayyyy... Josh Primo???... he fits the criteria offered.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

I hear that, but I'm suggesting the #16 being part of a whole other trade, and just BogBog straight-up for... saaaaaaayyyy... Josh Primo???... he fits the criteria offered.

:good:

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:good:

Appreciate the validation of the thought exercise.

Clarifying...

Primo the PG/SG doesn't really interest me that much.

Primo in the context of (a) acquiring Micic, who I theorize is a plausible plug-in replacement to BogBog (thus not losing that element in the 22-23 roster)... and (b) his having evidently grown an additional inch or two (remember, he was the youngest 1st rounder last year) from 6-5 to something at or above 6-6, and who knows if his 6-9 reach grew proportionately too... and thus, in the context of his being a legit PG/SG/SF... that interests me. That's worth obtaining even though he's also not likely to contribute a whole lot to 22-23's pursuit of a trophy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I like this kid the best if we stand pat at 16 which we won’t. This kid is solid.

Jalen Williams Please!!

One of the biggest goals for the Atlanta Hawks this offseason should be to provide a strong two-way guard alongside Trae Young. Although Jalen Williams is by no means the best defensive-oriented guard in this draft class, his offensive game would provide an uplifting presence for a team that was too dependent on Young last season.

Over his three seasons at Santa Clara, Williams improved significantly every year as he continued to build on the skillset he had formed from high school and throughout college. Prior to being the 6’6” player he is today, Williams was only 5’11” during his junior year in high school before shooting up to 6’3” as a senior. As a result of his experience running an offense as a point guard, Williams has become a talented combo-guard that also brings sharp passing skills and a good feel for how to space the floor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

If we got Jalen Williams,   Day 1, he would challenge for Starting Sf. 

There's no way he's overtaking Hunter as a rookie. He hasn't shown the defensive ability we need at that position. He might be a better option than Bogi or Kev though. Even without the NBA experience he looks like he can be a better secondary playmaker next to Trae.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Offensively, he's a nightmare... I think that will translate.  Defensively, he has good anticipation and 7'2.5" wingspan...

Because he was raised as a PG... and then had a growth Spurt, he's going to be exceptionally dangerous with the ball in his hands.   We better not pass him up. 

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

because you foresee another Dre knee injury coming?

I kid -- I like Jalen but I'm hoping one of Sochan or Eason are at 16... Jalen /Agbaji backup plan

24 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Offensively, he's a nightmare... I think that will translate.  Defensively, he has good anticipation and 7'2.5" wingspan...

Because he was raised as a PG... and then had a growth Spurt, he's going to be exceptionally dangerous with the ball in his hands.   We better not pass him up. 

What?

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, warcore said:

because you foresee another Dre knee injury coming?

I kid -- I like Jalen but I'm hoping one of Sochan or Eason are at 16... Jalen /Agbaji backup plan

I can't sell myself on Sochan...

Funny though, I sold myself on Duren even after Chet put the clamps on him. 

• Moderators
On 6/13/2022 at 10:18 PM, FL_BRYANT said:

Whose minutes was JJ going to take away. JC,Gallo, Hunter, OO. I don't think so. When and where was JJ supposed to play.  I don't get it. Maybe Gallo,that's it.

@FL_BRYANT - Give him the minutes that went to TLC and Kevin Knox.  Neither have a future with this team in any meaningful role, imo.  

My view is that he should have had a limited handful of regular minutes and you cut back if he struggles and give him more run if he thrives.  8 mpg +/- would work.  If everyone was healthy, it would be one thing but JC missed 28 games, Hunter missed 29 games, Gallo missed 16 games, and OO missed 34 games.  There were minutes to be had this past season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Move JJ to the 2-guard

🥰  Why not?  He's too big?  So was Magic Johnson, wasn't he?

I think asking him to check guards would be a step too far in terms of asking him to take that on as a rookie.  I'll be eager to see how far he can stretch beyond guarding 3's and 4's as he matures.  His physical tools (quickness and length) open the door to taking some 2's and 5's depending on the matchup and how he develops.  Right now, though, I would have 2's (download to defend on the perimeter against NBA guards) and 5's (weight/strength) off the table but I'm not the coach.

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, AHF said:

There were minutes to be had this past season.

Well, yes but.

But when you're on the cusp of missing the post season the season immediately after going to the EC Finals, it's not the silliest thing for the head coach to be reluctant to give minutes to a player with so very little real floor time in three seasons.

Nine games as a HS Senior. Thirteen as a college freshman. Then, as I understood it though I can't find it now, he was out for some period of time in January and/or February (... perhaps having something to do with the non-surgical knee procedure just announced?). In total 21 games at CP (it's really weird that basketball-reference counts the "showcase" games but doesn't count the regular season games in their stats, btw... you have to go look at the game logs individually to even know he played 7 regular season games). And what time he spent on an NBA floor... not that this was any surprise to anyone given that backdrop... wasn't head-turning.

I continue to say I probably would have played him, me.

But I don't have to live with the consequences if that decision costs us enough games to miss the play-in, either.

In hindsight, it would have been the wrong decision if McM's team wouldn't have made the play-in. And to be fair to the hypotheticals, it would have been the right decision if he'd played JJ and JJ proved to be the difference b/t failing to advance to the EC Finals or not.

Soberly, I have to give McM this one.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, sturt said:

Well, yes but.

But when you're on the cusp of missing the post season the season immediately after going to the EC Finals, it's not the silliest thing for the head coach to be reluctant to give minutes to a player with so very little real floor time in three seasons.

Nine games as a HS Senior. Thirteen as a college freshman. Then, as I understood it though I can't find it now, he was out for some period of time in January and/or February (... perhaps having something to do with the non-surgical knee procedure just announced?). In total 21 games at CP (it's really weird that basketball-reference counts the "showcase" games but doesn't count the regular season games in their stats, btw... you have to go look at the game logs individually to even know he played 7 regular season games). And what time he spent on an NBA floor... not that this was any surprise to anyone given that backdrop... wasn't head-turning.

I continue to say I probably would have played him, me.

But I don't have to live with the consequences if that decision costs us enough games to miss the play-in, either.

In hindsight, it would have been the wrong decision if McM's team wouldn't have made the play-in. And to be fair to the hypotheticals, it would have been the right decision if he'd played JJ and JJ proved to be the difference b/t failing to advance to the EC Finals or not.

Soberly, I have to give McM this one.

It is an issue on which reasonable minds can differ. 

I will say, that we are missing the key assessment which is whether our scouts thought JJ was ready to contribute (I think we an implicitly assume that McM either did not believe he was ready or though the risk of finding out was too high).  I only watched highlights from his non-Hawks games this season so I can't really assess how ready he was.  (Obviously, he looks way better than Knox and TLC from the highlights but highlights aren't a good basis to make player assessments).

For me, when it became clear JC was likely to not play a significant role on the team for the rest of year (which was when he went out for his lengthy recovery) I think that giving JJ minutes over guys who are net negatives on the floor, imo, (TLC and Knox) is worth the risk to see what he can be and whether he could get to a place where he could have been a part of the rotation against Miami.  He might well have been too raw even with regular limited minutes but as a process I think teams are better off giving their rookies those types of minutes and developing them for the future.  When JC was basically taken off the table for the rest of the year and in light of our performance year to date, I thought we were no longer in a position to truly contend this season so reasonable minds can also differ on that perspective.

• Like 1