• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agreed. :good:.

The Matthews and Mathews were providing impact in their minutes, I can understand....but they're not to the degree where AJ can't get minutes. 

Yeah that and your point about Bey are salient.  AJ has struggled but none of them are soo impactful that AJ can't get on at all. 

• Like 1

Nope.  Didn't say, "Just send him down to the Skyhawks."

Said, "Either play him on the Hawk team or send him down."

The choice is simple.  AJ Griffin should be playing, sharpening his skills.  Quin should decide, "Shall I allow him to play?"  If so, do it.  If the answer is no, send him to the Skyhawks.  He needs to be playing somewhere.

:smug:

• Like 3

• Moderators
Just now, Gray Mule said:

Nope.  Didn't say, "Just send him down to the Skyhawks."

Said, "Either play him on the Hawk team or send him down."

The choice is simple.  AJ Griffin should be playing, sharpening his skills.  Quin should decide, "Shall I allow him to play?"  If so, do it.  If the answer is no, send him to the Skyhawks.  He needs to be playing somewhere.

:smug:

100% agree.  He is too good a shooter for his shot to be broken like this.  They may need an assistant coach to be focusing with him on understanding his role on both sides of the ball, where he needs to be, how to read the play, etc.  That seems like it could be done in parallel in either way.

• Like 3

• Moderators

One other comment I'd make is that I'm a little worried about his head space between the comments he made over the summer, the combined terrible performance in summer league and YTD, and the fact that his shot is as much off as every other part of his game right now.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just play AJ and live with the results cause this ain it:

Garrison and Wes are bottom 2 on the team in overall on/off efficiency differential and defensive on/off efficiency differential (per Cleaning the Glass)

Or Lundy.  They're talking about bringing in Dennis Smith jr. and i can't figure out what that means.  i guess give Trae and DJ fewer minutes?  if that's the need then we should be playing Forrest.  He's a good defender and distributer.  Can't shoot at all but DSJ ain't exactly lights out.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Or Lundy.  They're talking about bringing in Dennis Smith jr. and i can't figure out what that means.  i guess give Trae and DJ fewer minutes?  if that's the need then we should be playing Forrest.  He's a good defender and distributer.  Can't shoot at all but DSJ ain't exactly lights out.  

Trae could use less minutes, but the offense has not been good when he sits (and his usage is down even though he is playing more minutes). Trent is a good idea, he just lacks the confidence that DSJ has with having many NBA minutes under his belt (not that I'm advocating for DSJ).

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae could use less minutes, but the offense has not been good when he sits (and his usage is down even though he is playing more minutes). Trent is a good idea, he just lacks the confidence that DSJ has with having many NBA minutes under his belt (not that I'm advocating for DSJ).

Yeah Trent isn't a long term solution but if we feel like we need a defensive minded PG to take some minutes I'd much rather give him a shot and see how it looks than give up an asset to get a guy to play 8 minutes a game. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 11:54 AM, macdaddy said:

Kind of funny that a knock on Nate was he wouldn't play young guys.  

Not really but it's true. JJ is playing like he should be...considering his progression. I hate what's going on with AJ but that's a byproduct of something Quinn doesn't like. I'm guessing defense or practice habits.  We can let the Nate thing go.  He sucked..and this iteration of Hawk's roster construction sucks.  It's a vicious stink cycle.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:31 PM, macdaddy said:

I heard Brad Rowland and Glen Willis talk about Dennis Smith Jr. but in the context of suggesting a possible perimeter defender that may be attainable.  It wasn't a rumor of a guy that the FO is actively looking at.  The logic is we need help with perimeter defense and our bigs can't cover their man plus all the layup lines when no one on the perimeter stops the ball. 

Since our three starters on the perimeter are basically signed long term the only way we can get help is by bringing in someone to come off the bench.  Bogi and Bey basically provide instant offense and no defense.  The only credible perimeter defender is Hunter, and he can only do so much.  We at least need a guy off the bench if we aren't gonna replace a starter. 

Where did you hear anyone talking about Dennis Smith Jr?  

• Moderators
On 12/10/2023 at 7:51 AM, Final_quest said:

I heard Brad Rowland and Glen Willis talk about Dennis Smith Jr. but in the context of suggesting a possible perimeter defender that may be attainable.  It wasn't a rumor of a guy that the FO is actively looking at.  The logic is we need help with perimeter defense and our bigs can't cover their man plus all the layup lines when no one on the perimeter stops the ball. 

Since our three starters on the perimeter are basically signed long term the only way we can get help is by bringing in someone to come off the bench.  Bogi and Bey basically provide instant offense and no defense.  The only credible perimeter defender is Hunter, and he can only do so much.  We at least need a guy off the bench if we aren't gonna replace a starter. 

Where did you hear anyone talking about Dennis Smith Jr?  

I thought @Sothron reported that the FO had interest in acquiring DSJ?  Maybe i dreamt that. 

• Premium Member
On 12/9/2023 at 6:13 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Bruno went to CP and played a game with the SkyHawks? Why didn't AJ? Was he asked to go and declined? Maybe he doesn't want to go? Something to ponder.

This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Probably either he refused or were playing politics to keep his trade value up— nothing else makes sense to me either