• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good bye Huerter

HawkItus

26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think this is an underrated aspect of Huerter's game that we will miss.....JHolla won't be able to replace that.

(Yes I know Trae and Murray but still, the more guys with varying skillsets is a good thing)

@macdaddy

I like the play against the Knicks at :10, the one against the Grizz at :30 took some patience to develop and at 1:30 where he catches the 2nd guy Hunter for the 3 vs the cutter.

We are gonna miss a level headed high IQ team guy in Huerter. We need both on court chemistry and off without him. He will be missed indeed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think this is an underrated aspect of Huerter's game that we will miss.....JHolla won't be able to replace that.

(Yes I know Trae and Murray but still, the more guys with varying skillsets is a good thing)

@macdaddy

I really think trading Huerter right now was a bad move.  It's going to take some time for Trae and Murray to figure things out.  Preserving some continuity with Huerter takes some pressure off of Trae and Dejounte while keeping the team competitive.  They could have gotten that deal or a much better one for Huerter at any time.  Getting a guy like Murray only to give away another valuable player is frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I really think trading Huerter right now was a bad move.  It's going to take some time for Trae and Murray to figure things out.  Preserving some continuity with Huerter takes some pressure off of Trae and Dejounte while keeping the team competitive.  They could have gotten that deal or a much better one for Huerter at any time.  Getting a guy like Murray only to give away another valuable player is frustrating.

+1000 to this. As a fan, I just want to see the Hawks field the best possible team they can. I don't feel like the Hawks got better by trading Huerter for what they got. I wouldn't have dealt Huerter until I found out how effective Bogi can be going forward. Hunter, Bogi, and AJ Griffin aren't exactly ironmen so having a versatile wing like Huerter is an excellent insurance policy.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hawkman said:

+1000 to this. As a fan, I just want to see the Hawks field the best possible team they can. I don't feel like the Hawks got better by trading Huerter for what they got. I wouldn't have dealt Huerter until I found out how effective Bogi can be going forward. Hunter, Bogi, and AJ Griffin aren't exactly ironmen so having a versatile wing like Huerter is an excellent insurance policy.

And fielding the best team is what it should be all about.  There was no reason, other than being cheap, to trade Huerter right now imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Jody23 said:

And fielding the best team is what it should be all about.  There was no reason, other than being cheap, to trade Huerter right now imo.

It will end up doing two things imo:  

it will prevent the Hawks from being a tax repeater which could be about fielding the best team (after this season).

it will get Ressler about $12M.

Who knows what the first will get us.

• Like 2

I really see the Huerter situation very differently.  

1. The idea that you could trade him for a 1st round pick at a moment's notice is speculation.  He is an extremely average NBA starter.  
2. Keeping Huerter would have given us 3 guys who want starter type minutes at the same position.  If Bogi goes down, we're gonna have to live with Aaron Holiday.  That's how every NBA team functions with regards to injury.  They don't sign three starter salaries "just in case."  Your third option is a vet min or rookie-sophomore.  
3. The pick is a much more flexible asset as a trading chip.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I really see the Huerter situation very differently.  

1. The idea that you could trade him for a 1st round pick at a moment's notice is speculation.  He is an extremely average NBA starter.  
2. Keeping Huerter would have given us 3 guys who want starter type minutes at the same position.  If Bogi goes down, we're gonna have to live with Aaron Holiday.  That's how every NBA team functions with regards to injury.  They don't sign three starter salaries "just in case."  Your third option is a vet min or rookie-sophomore.  
3. The pick is a much more flexible asset as a trading chip.  

All is true but I'd say that Huerter was more valuable to us on the court than whatever probably becomes of that pick.

And you're neglecting that Huerter would provide backup at the 3.   Right now we have Bogi and JHoliday as the sole backups for 2 and 3.  So I don't see it as Huerter being just the 3rd SG.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

And you're neglecting that Huerter would provide backup at the 3.   Right now we have Bogi and JHoliday as the sole backups for 2 and 3.  So I don't see it as Huerter being just the 3rd SG.  

I thought about that, too.  I really think the organization wants to go a different direction with more defense, toughness.  It's also about the investment in a contract of multiple years with a player that doesn't quite fit anymore.  If he's too soft at SG, he's definitely too soft at SF.  

Is he better than Holiday?  Probably, but Holiday is a much smaller % of the payroll.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I thought about that, too.  I really think the organization wants to go a different direction with more defense, toughness.  It's also about the investment in a contract of multiple years with a player that doesn't quite fit anymore.  If he's too soft at SG, he's definitely too soft at SF.  

Is he better than Holiday?  Probably, but Holiday is a much smaller % of the payroll.  

Yes.  I agree with that.   It's funny that i've spent a lot of time arguing we should have kept him when i spent most of last year complaining he should be on the bench.   He did play very soft last year.  

As optimistic as i am for this year though i'm very concerned that if Bogi isn't available we don't have much to backup 2,3,4 and really only Murray backing up the 1.   Our bench could be tough or it could be nonexistant.  I could see either way. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

We all knew it when this trade happened (even if they’ll never come out and say it…) but this was a luxury tax avoidance move and not a move a team who’s serious about contending would have made.

Through 3 games, we have no one who can consistently hit a 3. Bogi is hurt and Nate has AJ glued to the bench. 

I love what the Holiday’s bring on D, but we are desperately lacking 3 point shooting through the first three games.

Imagine Kev waiting on the wing in these units with Trae and Murray instead of A. Holiday.

21 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

We all knew it when this trade happened (even if they’ll never come out and say it…) but this was a luxury tax avoidance move and not a move a team who’s serious about contending would have made.

Through 3 games, we have no one who can consistently hit a 3. Bogi is hurt and Nate has AJ glued to the bench. 

I love what the Holiday’s bring on D, but we are desperately lacking 3 point shooting through the first three games.

Imagine Kev waiting on the wing in these units with Trae and Murray instead of A. Holiday.

I’m not too worried yet. Justin Holiday has shown he can hit 3s consistently at a 36% and 38% on 6 attempts per game in some seasons.

Bogi should be back soon. We just didn’t hit today. We will be ok.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JTB said:

I’m not too worried yet. Justin Holiday has shown he can hit 3s consistently at a 36% and 38% on 6 attempts per game in some seasons.

Bogi should be back soon. We just didn’t hit today. We will be ok.

An amazingly measured response.  Big ups for keeping a level head. 

Can I add that playing AJ Griffin, shows that Nate might bring him along quicker than he did JJ.  An entire theory on Nate not playing rookies is based solely on how he handled Jalen last year, and ignored Nate's very long coaching history of actually playing rookies. 

Both of the Holiday's played terrible yesterday.   

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 7/27/2022 at 11:14 AM, macdaddy said:

Yeah this Huerts.  I think by mid season this trade is going to look real bad. 

You might have been unto something here. 😏.

Re-reading thru this thread.....some interesting takes. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Re-reading thru this thread.....some interesting takes. :rolleyes:

There is some comedy gold in this thread.  Here's the list of who loved and were thrilled with the Huerter trade:

Spoiler

Gotcha - I'm not doing your dirt work :laugh1:

Amazing-Grace-long-list.gif

• Haha 1