• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good bye Huerter

HawkItus

• Premium Member

Hueter talks about his time with Hawks:

57:30 - Talks how he got notified about trade.

1:08 - Talks Game 7 vs Sixers: team was beat up, Bogi wasn't supposed to play, Gallo who is a man of few words told him in locker room he needed to shoot the ball, that they wouldn't win if he didn't, pointed at Bogi and said ' he can't move'. Philly fans were throwing stuff with 10 seconds left in game.

1:18 - General Hawks discussion - in his 4 years here, lots of stories that came out that just weren't true or over blown. Talks JC and perception and playing with Trae.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For all the hoopla surrounding Kev’s breakout season with the Kings, he and Bogi have nearly identical counting stats. 

Kev’s efficiency has been impressive. I just find it notable that in a career best  season he is still on par with a rather average season by Bogi.

Still would have been nicer to have him compared to what we traded him for 100%.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

For all the hoopla surrounding Kev’s breakout season with the Kings, he and Bogi have nearly identical counting stats. 

Kev’s efficiency has been impressive. I just find it notable that in a career best  season he is still on par with a rather average season by Bogi.

Still would have been nicer to have him compared to what we traded him for 100%.

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 Bogdan Bogdanović 2022-23 30 28 5 30.4 5.6 13.1 .429 2.8 7.6 .373 2.8 5.6 .506 .537 1.1 1.5 .780 0.4 3.1 3.4 3.2 0.8 0.3 1.3 1.6 15.3
2 Kevin Huerter 2022-23 24 48 48 30.8 5.5 11.5 .478 2.7 6.8 .402 2.8 4.7 .588 .597 1.4 1.9 .707 0.6 2.8 3.4 3.0 1.1 0.3 1.4 2.5 15.1

The main difference is that Kev has played 48 games. 

But yeah.. it's sad that with all his hoopla, Bogi is right there. 

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Huerter messed up last night. He got 4 steals but at the end he missed Domanatas cutting wide open, they did need a 3 but Sabonis seemed upset as to why Huerter missed him.

End of game, down 3, ball in Kev’s hands. He gets in the paint off a dribble hand off, the defense reacts. Pause the tape. What is the right play?

2757A4F8-CFB2-4FDB-866E-D15537615FC1.thumb.jpeg.63e0ac5d1c47d43efc9ac321a14d98f5.jpeg
Each shooter is open, Sabonis was rolling free, and Kev actually has a free  run to the basket as two defenders are left behind him.

What should he do? Take the easy 2 and play the foul game, or kick to a wide open shooter?

The answer:

Don’t put the ball in his hands in late game scenarios. He can knock down a catch and shoot but if he has to dribble and make a read in the clutch, it’s a turnover or clumsy play waiting to happen.

In this scenario, Trae or Murray would have laid the ball in and survived for the next possession. There was significant possibility that if Kev went strong enough, the helping defender would’ve had to foul him and Kev could have gotten an And-1 out of the possession. 

The Sabonis pass should have been option 2 for the same reasons. Shot right at the rim and potential for an And-1.

The next play is the short pass to an open #3 for the Kings.

Kev bypassed each and went with the longest off balance skip pass to Barnes. 

69CC2CEE-7B90-4A5E-BD28-47C0DE41A1A1.thumb.png.4e6fe1f98928de2386b4cc5bd5f44b3a.png

By the time Barnes shot it, he had a hand all up in his face.

B8C0A9EF-7731-4D83-B997-0FEDF2BCA17F.thumb.png.65a6bb83cbb0f3b2666b6cd7dfbc9e67.png

Moral of the story, it’s not Kev’s fault he didn’t get the clutch gene. Few have it, many don’t. After watching him fold in the playoffs against the Heat’s pressure, I was pretty convinced on who and what Kev was.

He is a great story for the Kings this year, but come playoff time, full court pressure, late game inbounds, physical defenders getting away with contact, Kev will come back to Earth.

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Moral of the story, it’s not Kev’s fault he didn’t get the clutch gene. Few have it, many don’t. After watching him fold in the playoffs against the Heat’s pressure, I was pretty convinced on who and what Kev was.

He is a great story for the Kings this year, but come playoff time, full court pressure, late game inbounds, physical defenders getting away with contact, Kev will come back to Earth.

Ya I mean I love dude but folks were too gaga over him. The bad needs to be told as well. He’s not Mr. Perfect. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Kevin Huerter last 4 games.

23 ppg (13.5 attempts)

2.3 rpg

4.8 apg

1 steal/game

1 to/g

17/29 from 3 (65.4%)

Kings now tied for 2nd in the seedings.

Just leaving this here!!!

Too late for Silver to rescind the trade for “basketball reasons”?

5 hours ago, thecampster said:

Kevin Huerter last 4 games.

23 ppg (13.5 attempts)

2.3 rpg

4.8 apg

1 steal/game

1 to/g

17/29 from 3 (65.4%)

Kings now tied for 2nd in the seedings.

Just leaving this here!!!

He went to the perfect fit.

• Like 2

The Bogi/Kevin debate reminds me of the Bogi/Buddy debate. There’s too much redundancy, not enough separation between the two. Both couldn’t stay with Murray on hand and AJ on a rookie deal. 

Kevin netted assets with the trade, Bogi would’ve cost assets. That’s it, end of story. Why are people lamenting the loss of Kevin still? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

The Bogi/Kevin debate reminds me of the Bogi/Buddy debate. There’s too much redundancy, not enough separation between the two. Both couldn’t stay with Murray on hand and AJ on a rookie deal. 

Kevin netted assets with the trade, Bogi would’ve cost assets. That’s it, end of story. Why are people lamenting the loss of Kevin still? 

Because we traded away a solid young basketball player on a reasonable contract. Bogi is about to opt out of his deal anyway, he's probably gone after this year. There wasn't too much redundancy, we have been light on shooting all year, that's why we had to trade for Bey.

The main failure is that we were unable to make the necessary consolidation trade by packaging Huerter with other players to net a bigger and more immediate return.  We kind of had to deal either Bogi or Kevin, so I agree with @bird_dirt that was a fairly easy call.  

Losing Kevin most certainly hurt our basketball.  We are still awaiting a deal that helps on-court, and it's getting harder for me to really envision how that is going to come about.  Then the Suns messed us over as well.  It feels like we may have missed a window to taking the next step and now we're at a critical juncture in the development of the Trae Young-led Hawks.  It doesn't help that a storm has just come through and moved all the chairs in the front office and even the head coach chair.  We're starting again without any obvious direction.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

glad people are starting to realize what I said last year, that Huerter is the softest player in the NBA and would never help a team win in the playoffs aside from his one fluke game vs Philly.

Hawks NEEDED to get rid of him.   Team was getting killed with Trae, Gallo, Bogi, Huerter and Lou Will all in in the rotation.