• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Filling out the roster

sturt

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

When does the NBA set the salary cap?

When does the date come where teams are over or under the cap?

Young, at $37 is taking up a lot of that total isn't he.  Yet, we pay it or we lose him.

🧑‍🔧

The Salary Cap is set when the new league year starts which was July 1st. $123.6 million.

There is no issue with being over the salary cap. The issue is being over the Luxury Tax which is set at $150.2 million. The date to be under or over the LT is at the end of each season.

The Hawks are currently at $150.4 million with 13 players, so if we assume we'll sign 1 or 2 more players to get to the max 15 players, we'll be operating as a Tax team to start the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

So, let's assume

• Kaminsky makes the roster, whether guaranteed or not
  • Landry Fields' mention that Mo Harkless is being thought-of as a 4, not a 3
  • Sharife's not going to have any alternative to signing the 2-way offer
  • The FO definitely wants to hold on to Chaundee Brown and Tyreese Martin

That leaves us with...

2022-07-14_09-35-15.png

To which, I'm going to propose one of these options:

1) Give Sharife a regular roster contract, and see if you can sign another ex-Pacer and supposedly McM favorite... Jeremy Lamb, to fill that other wing opening.

2) Give Brown or Martin a regular roster contract, and see if you can sign a 4th PG but one who is just-as if not more regarded as a SG... one who would bring some practically self-evident grit to the backcourt, similar defensive regard to what Lamb does, and some playoff experience... Austin Rivers.

And if #2.... how cool to see Doc's son get a ring in the city where his dad made a name for himself as a player and to be part of bringing that first trophy to the ATL, eh?

Kinda like that image.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, sturt said:

Austin Rivers.

And if #2.... how cool to see Doc's son get a ring in the city where his dad made a name for himself as a player and to be part of bringing that first trophy to the ATL, eh?

So much for that idea.

• Premium Member

Have to say... I'm a little surprised that MIN didn't sign Eric Bledsoe. Maybe they still will (?).

Wonder if we could end up with him after all. You could do a lot worse. In fact, he'd plausibly get more PG minutes than Aaron Holiday, dontchathink?

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 9:46 AM, marco102 said:

I think it's silly not to have all the players active?  Why does it need to be any inactive players?

My guess is strategic purposes. If all 15 are allowed to be active then there would be no need for transparency about injuries and who is or isn’t actually available that game. The whole team could be listed as active despite 3  or 4 guys finishing with a DNP-CD when they had no intention of playing them in the 1st place.

I think there was always consensus that you only really needed 12 players on a roster night to night, but the league has grown with talent so now it 13. I think they are realistic that it’s hard for 15 players to actually touch the court in a meaningful game, but they still want to have a pool of players on a roster to account for injury or rest, and more recently Covid.

The active/inactive thing forces a coach to say here are my official 13 available bodies tonight. Maybe I still wont play all of them, but if someone plays it will be from this list. And it eliminates the need to worry about the inactives coming in for strategic moments. 

12 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

My guess is strategic purposes. If all 15 are allowed to be active then there would be no need for transparency about injuries and who is or isn’t actually available that game. The whole team could be listed as active despite 3  or 4 guys finishing with a DNP-CD when they had no intention of playing them in the 1st place.

I think there was always consensus that you only really needed 12 players on a roster night to night, but the league has grown with talent so now it 13. I think they are realistic that it’s hard for 15 players to actually touch the court in a meaningful game, but they still want to have a pool of players on a roster to account for injury or rest, and more recently Covid.

The active/inactive thing forces a coach to say here are my official 13 available bodies tonight. Maybe I still wont play all of them, but if someone plays it will be from this list. And it eliminates the need to worry about the inactives coming in for strategic moments. 

I get all that, but it's silly that if you're blowing a team out by 40 you can't put in your inactive guys and let them get some real NBA experience. It won't happen often, but still is silly to run out your real first or second units in blowouts.

7 hours ago, marco102 said:

I get all that, but it's silly that if you're blowing a team out by 40 you can't put in your inactive guys and let them get some real NBA experience. It won't happen often, but still is silly to run out your real first or second units in blowouts.

Yeah they would have to make a mercy rule exception that allows it.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Has he even earned a 2 way contract?

Yes. He did that before SL. I'd be flabbergasted, flummoxed, drop-jawed to see SchlenkFields completely reverse themselves because of some summer league games.

End of year write-up from Peachtree Hoops:

2022-07-16_10-03-25.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, sturt said:

drop-jawed to see SchlenkFields completely reverse themselves because of some summer league games.

There are performances that are fake and then ones that are good. Martin can play the nba game, he can handle, shoot, create for himself with good size.

This isn’t a fluff performance. He proved he can do some things, summer or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

There are performances that are fake and then ones that are good. Martin can play the nba game, he can handle, shoot, create for himself with good size.

This isn’t a fluff performance. He proved he can do some things, summer or not.

This is what scouts look for! Most players are not thrown into NBA games without proof that they have an NBA skill set. The notion that Summer league games are not tools to evaluate these skill is beyond my comprehension

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Partially-guaranteed deal. Congrats to Martin.

OHHH. Then really not anything like Bruno's 3 years guaranteed, then. Forget I said that.

Meanwhile.... giphy.gif   ... I wasn't talking about Tyrese when I said...

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Yes. He did that before SL. I'd be flabbergasted, flummoxed, drop-jawed to see SchlenkFields completely reverse themselves because of some summer league games.

... but the comments that followed were. Mfw%2Bnot%2Bsure%2Bif%2Bsomeones%2Bjokin   Who zigged when I zagged?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I believe you are both correct.  Hawks said, "Show us."  He did.  Therefore, they signed him.

:smug:

Hopefully we finally found a good player in the 2nd rd... That's highly unusual for us... Schlenk never finds anybody after pick #19, but bums and cash considerations.........lol

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1

Warriors have made a living as of late developing late round wings that don’t have one elite skill, but very well rounded games. 

Martin has the desire to defend. He has good size, and can DPS. 

You continue to develop all of those skills and you have yourself a good NBA player.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Nobody uses SL games to gauge that stuff.  By the time SL starts, it's already known who has those skills.

How guys do in specific roles and situations is what's assessed in SL.

They also use SL to help in skill development.  Like if they wanna see a guy try a certain shot in game situations, they'll force him to do it in SL games.  That's why actual results shouldn't be overly analyzed.  If for example, they ask a guy to shoot 3's and he misses em all, fans all overreact and say the guy can't shoot.  Coaches understand the misses are part of getting better.

So let me get this straight...Are you saying that there is no player evaluation taking place during summer league games?

• Haha 1