• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Bucks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

Coming in to this last game, I wanted the Hawks to make one more major move which would be to acquire a 7 foot big. The big I wanted was Vucevic from the Bulls in exchange for Okongwu and Capela.  I've changed my thinking on that because of the production of both Johnson and Griffin last night.  I prefer the depth and versatility of the current roster over making a move like that.  The only time the Hawks size really shows up is against the Bucks and they were able to neutralize that last night.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Paul Milsap.  😁

Um. Of course, we didn't draft Millsap (two Ls).

Our last success story is Mike Scott (2012).

What's interesting to me is that we've drafted 2nd rounders who, it turned out, have evolved to get significant minutes and stick in the league, but for other teams:

Devonte' Graham (2018)

Raul Neto (2013)

James Ennis (2013)

8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I fully eat crow on Cam. 

Wow you was on Cam too?

Hit me with who you’ve had lately. I was heavily on Cam, Culver, Clarke and Kabengele aka CCCK.

2020- OO 

2021- Murph III

2022- AJ

Oh…

2018 I had Luka, Bagley and Bridges

2017 Anunoby and Semi Ojeleye 

16 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Coming in to this last game, I wanted the Hawks to make one more major move which would be to acquire a 7 foot big. The big I wanted was Vucevic from the Bulls in exchange for Okongwu and Capela.  I've changed my thinking on that because of the production of both Johnson and Griffin last night.  I prefer the depth and versatility of the current roster over making a move like that.  The only time the Hawks size really shows up is against the Bucks and they were able to neutralize that last night.

Besides being 7 foot.  What weaknesses does Vuc cover?

I know there may be an offensive boost, but his defense would send us to the Netherrealm with Trae on the floor.

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Besides being 7 foot.  What weaknesses does Vuc?

I know there may be an offensive boost, but his defense would send us to the Netherrealm with Trae on the floor.

4 more rebounds a game than Capela and just the straight up size to block Giannis and Lopez off the boards.  I'm tired of seeing Capela and Okongwu get demolished inside by those two. The defense is already garbage inside whenever they play the Bucks or big teams so trading for Vucevic means no drop off from where they are currently on the boards. After last night's game, like I said, I prefer to stick with what the Hawks have.

Edited by Hawkmoor

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Wow you was on Cam too?

Hit me with who you’ve had lately. I was heavily on Cam, Culver, Clarke and Kabengele aka CCCK.

2020- OO 

2021- Murph III

2022- AJ

Oh…

2018 I had Luka, Bagley and Bridges

2017 Anunoby and Semi Ojeleye 

2018 - Luka

2019 - Cam and Ja (he was once projected in the twenties), and Zion.  I was not a fan of moving up for Hunter, but glad we did looking back.

2020 - Ant Man and LaMelo.  Someone convienced me, looking at you @kg01 that Killian Hayes was a would be a good player and I fell for it.  But for real, I liked some of the things on his scouting tape. 

2021 -  Tre Mann

2022 - AJ Griffin or Jalen Williams.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Correction

Outgoing picks to SAS:

2025 1st round pick owed (unprotected)

2026 1st round pick swap

2027 1st round pick owed (unprotected)

Incoming:

2024 1st round pick from Sac (protected 1-14, 1-12, 1-10 for 3 consecutive years)

You are correct.  I had the 2026 draft wrong since we will  have the worse of the ATL and SAS picks.  Thanks Sports Illustrated, lol!

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/draft-pick-tracker/a-comprehensive-guide-to-the-hawks-future-draft-picks

Better site:

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Hawks.htm

42 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Hope you're right, I just wouldn't bank on every first round pick panning out, and I can't remember the last time we had a second rounder contribute meaningful minutes.

The uncertainty around first round picks is just another reason not to trade proven talent for picks while we are trying to win a ring, imo.  If you trade Bogi or Hunter right now, you do the team a disservice.  TS has been great with those mid-first round picks but I am not going to give up a guy who could make the difference between advancing in the playoffs and going home for someone who might or might not be contributing to the team in 2026.  We should keep a flow of developmental talent but should keep the eye on the prize, imo.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hawkmoor said:

4 more rebounds a game than Capela and just the straight up size to block Giannis and Lopez off the boards.  I'm tired of seeing Capela and Okongwu get demolished inside by those two. The defense is already garbage inside whenever they play the Bucks or big teams. After last night's game, like I said, I prefer to stick with what the Hawks have.

Every since he's become a starter, Clint has been a better rebounder than Vuc. 

The Bucks bigs don't usually out rebound the Hawks bigs. It's always been their guards and wings.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, sturt said:

Um. Of course, we didn't draft Millsap (two Ls).

Our last success story is Mike Scott (2012).

What's interesting to me is that we've drafted 2nd rounders who, it turned out, have evolved to get significant minutes and stick in the league, but for other teams:

Devonte' Graham (2018)

Raul Neto (2013)

James Ennis (2013)

Did we not already trade these 2nd round picks prior to the draft, so we were essentially picking these specific players at the request of the other team?  There is no guarantee that had we kept the picks we would selected these player.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I did but didn't want a bunch of numbers to detract from the conceptual point.  Very roughly for that year:

Trae $43M

Capela $22M

Collins $27M

Hunter $22M

Murray $43M

This gets you to $157M with a projected luxury threshold of $172M.  OO is going to command more than $15M per year himself, particularly with this increase in the cap, so just with OOs extension you're in the tax and you need  to fill out the bench.  So thinking ahead it can make sense to trade a players for picks now if you find a good deal.  That's all I was saying.

Trust me, I will be more than ecstatic than anyone if we retain all of these guys and Ressler just goes into the tax to retain talent.

Excellent work.  One of our current starters on the front court we'll probably shed by this point, unless we're a contender.  Tony will pay if everyone delivers.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Every since he's become a starter, Clint has been a better rebounder than Vuc. 

The Bucks bigs don't usually out rebound the Hawks bigs. It's always been their guards and wings.

CURRENTLY: 2022-2023 season

Vucevic: 16.4 pts game scoring. 12.3 rebounds a game.

Capela: 9.3 pts game scoring. 10.2 rebounds a game.  

I don't care about last season, the year before that or the year before that.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, AHF said:

You are correct.  I had the 2026 draft wrong since we will  have the worse of the ATL and SAS picks.  Thanks Sports Illustrated, lol!

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/draft-pick-tracker/a-comprehensive-guide-to-the-hawks-future-draft-picks

Better site:

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Hawks.htm

The uncertainty around first round picks is just another reason not to trade proven talent for picks while we are trying to win a ring, imo.  If you trade Bogi or Hunter right now, you do the team a disservice.  TS has been great with those mid-first round picks but I am not going to give up a guy who could make the difference between advancing in the playoffs and going home for someone who might or might not be contributing to the team in 2026.  We should keep a flow of developmental talent but should keep the eye on the prize, imo.

I agree with you in principle but as we've seen with the Heurter trade, it doesn't work out that way if the owner is in tax saving mode.

1 minute ago, Hawkmoor said:

CURRENTLY: 2022-2023 season

Vucevic: 16.4 pts game scoring. 12.3 rebounds a game.

Capela: 9.3 pts game scoring. 10.2 rebounds a game.  

I don't care about last season, the year before that or the year before that.

Oh gotcha.  So 10 games into a season is going to tell you who the better rebounder is.  Let's revisit this after 30 games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2