• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Bulls

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That's a false narrative.  He and Trae fit together well, because Murray can concentrate more on being a scorer with Trae on the floor.  He may go ISO, but he fits with Trae.  Once Murray starts to create more for Trae to get wide open looks, that's when you'll really see the two of them shine.  We've seen flashes of that already.

That's true if you continue to hope that they can play together in this offense.   For that to really work, we need more movement.   What we have done is replace Bogi and Kevin with DJ...  That's not fair to DJ.   This is the reason why I ask for new coaching.   Nate's a good coach.   He just is who he is.   He's not going to change his style of offense and he's not going to let anybody else run it.   IF it were possible for Nate to let D'Antonio handle the offense and he handle the defense like Remember the Titans, we'd be a great team.. but Nate's not built for that. 

12 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I have no idea what you guys are arguing about but in 20-21 we had Kevin Huerter, Tony Snell, Solomon Hill, and Cam to play when Hunter was out.   

20-21 was that crack pace season. A lot of things that worked in 20-21 wouldn't in 21, 22, 23, etc. You could spam and defenses literally couldn't adjust. Teams were brickin open 3s. Legs were dead due to the high pace schedule, and injuries were rampant, especially on our team. It was just a crackpot year where recovery wasn't good. It gave advantages to teams with athletic energy bigs like Gobert and Capela, spammers like Harden, Luka, and Young, as well as teams with shooters like us. 

A lot of things we did that year just wouldn't work otherwise. Another thing, we also had tremendous performances from Bogi that season when healthy that really made it easier as well as Snell and Solo wasn't completely washed yet. If I remember right, I think Lou was massive for us when we traded for him, for washed Rondo. So many things played into our favor which didn't a year later for us. 

Edited by NBASupes

14 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

@terrell posted winning percentages with and without Dre 2 years ago as proof Dre is not important to Hawks success this year.  @AHF Inserted himself into the discussion and now is claiming he changed the topic so I should ignore the original premise. And now come in and start insulting my writing style for no apparent reason.

Terrell made a shit post in all honesty. 20-21 was an anomaly season. You didn't really need big wings that season till the playoffs. Lucky for us, we had him against the Knicks which was critical. Ben Simmons lack of range and an injured Danny Green meant we didn't against Philly and we clearly missed him against Milwaukee. 

Basing shit off a crack pace season is even worse than basing shit off the bubble. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

That's true if you continue to hope that they can play together in this offense.   For that to really work, we need more movement.   What we have done is replace Bogi and Kevin with DJ...  That's not fair to DJ.   This is the reason why I ask for new coaching.   Nate's a good coach.   He just is who he is.   He's not going to change his style of offense and he's not going to let anybody else run it.   IF it were possible for Nate to let D'Antonio handle the offense and he handle the defense like Remember the Titans, we'd be a great team.. but Nate's not built for that. 

Trae is what he is dude. A liability and that will just never work when you're aiming for a ring. You can't turn this team into GSW, Miami, Boston defensively. Hunter and DJ are it. I think we need a coach (Ime) to come and run this whole weak FO of latte brothers. Also I hate so much Nick Ressler is a part of this I wanna whoop his arse that much, god his face is so punchable!

Anyway, in a dream world have Udoka come in, trade Trae and Collins, get a dog in this upcoming draft, get some free agents and run this show. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, StonedDogs said:

Trae is what he is dude. A liability and that will just never work when you're aiming for a ring

Several people said the same about Curry.  Not that Trae is Curry but opinions are like ......  everybody has one and most of them stink.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

20-21 was that crack pace season. A lot of things that worked in 20-21 wouldn't in 21, 22, 23, etc. You could spam and defenses literally couldn't adjust. Teams were brickin open 3s. Legs were dead due to the high pace schedule, and injuries were rampant, especially on our team. It was just a crackpot year where recovery wasn't good. It gave advantages to teams with athletic energy bigs like Gobert and Capela, spammers like Harden, Luka, and Young, as well as teams with shooters like us. 

A lot of things we did that year just wouldn't work otherwise. Another thing, we also had tremendous performances from Bogi that season when healthy that really made it easier as well as Snell and Solo wasn't completely washed yet. If I remember right, I think Lou was massive for us when we traded for him, for washed Rondo. So many things played into our favor which didn't a year later for us. 

So many things but not the least of which having about 5 more decent and vet backcourt players than we have now.  No team, but especially a team like the Hawks that relies on a lot of guys who are constantly out of the lineup, can afford to have no serviceable veteran players on the bench. 

20-21

11 players average >20 minutes per game and played in > 20 games

9 of those players averaged double digit scoring

4 vets over 29 years old played 20 plus minutes per game

This year

8 players average >20 minutes per game 

6 players in double figures

the only 3 bench players who average 20 minutes are 19,22 and 30 years old. 

We just don't have enough talent in my opinion.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

We just don't have enough talent in my opinion.  

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians!

Hawks can't afford good bench players because they have a very heavy payroll tied up in their starters.  Wonder why we look bad when starters are missing?  I believe this is the reason.

:bb:

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians!

Hawks can't afford good bench players because they have a very heavy payroll tied up in their starters.  Wonder why we look bad when starters are missing?  I believe this is the reason.

:bb:

That's kind of true but here's what we are competing against

image.png

I see that Atlanta is a mere 1.3 Million under the cap.

M. Bucks are 26.4 Million over.

B. Celtics are 23.7 Million over.

If these teams were at the cap and not way over then their benches would probably be no better than ours.  You see my point.

:smug:

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

I see that Atlanta is a mere 1.3 Million under the cap.

M. Bucks are 26.4 Million over.

B. Celtics are 23.7 Million over.

If these teams were at the cap and not way over then their benches would probably be no better than ours.  You see my point.

:smug:

Yes that's also my point.   We're a cheap team pretending that we can compete.   Paying our 'stars' is not the problem.  Refusing to pay for a bench is. 

• Like 4

On 1/25/2023 at 5:54 AM, Diesel said:

Several people said the same about Curry.  Not that Trae is Curry but opinions are like ......  everybody has one and most of them stink.

I mean, Curry is 6"3, 6"4 in shoes. He got bigger, he can guard a 6"6 Dillon Brooks. He can move off screens, bounce off bodies and still have the strength and stamina to get open, shoot and turn around before the shot goes in. Comparing Trae to Curry is what got us here. We thought he was the second coming of Curry at Oklahoma when he shot 30 footers. 

Trae is great on offense. But it means absolutely nothing if you're giving the points right back. That's a .500 team. If we could ship him and Collins to OKC for SGA or look to this draft for a top #3 pg team wouldn't need to score 120 a night to win

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, StonedDogs said:

I mean, Curry is 6"3, 6"4 in shoes. He got bigger, he can guard a 6"6 Dillon Brooks. He can move off screens, bounce off bodies and still have the strength and stamina to get open, shoot and turn around before the shot goes in. Comparing Trae to Curry is what got us here. We thought he was the second coming of Curry at Oklahoma when he shot 30 footers. 

Trae is great on offense. But it means absolutely nothing if you're giving the points right back. That's a .500 team. If we could ship him and Collins to OKC for SGA or look to this draft for a top #3 pg team wouldn't need to score 120 a night to win

Like I said, I wasn't comparing Trae to Curry. 

You were saying that Trae is a liability and a team can never win a ring with Him.    I said, pundits said the same thing about Trae.  Hell, they said the same thing about Iverson too.   Iverson was 6 ft 165.   The only thing that stopped him from winning the Chip was HIM, His GM,  and Shaq/Kobe.  IF Iverson's Philly team would have faced anybody else but the Lakers, they would have won the chip.   Remember, the Lakers were 12-0 in the playoffs when they played Philly in the Finals.   They won 4-1... 

Iverson was measurably Smaller than Trae.   Played in a more physically demanding NBA.   So your point that the size means he can't win is poppycock.  In fact, had Trae not gotten Hurt, we would have bounced Milwaukee and beaten Phoenix in the finals.  Milwaukee beat us 4-2 and Trae only played in 1 game. 

Your trade requests are stupid Dog.  But I get it.. you don't respect the man that has just matched Magic in 30/10 games... in his 5th year.   Magic played 13 seasons.  In 5 Seasons, Trae caught him.  Right now, Trae is probably already a hall of famer...  and you want to trade him for a pocket knife and some diggum snacks.  Keep that energy. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, StonedDogs said:

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=37f641aa3a3100a

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

Like I said, I wasn't comparing Trae to Curry. 

You were saying that Trae is a liability and a team can never win a ring with Him.    I said, pundits said the same thing about Trae.  Hell, they said the same thing about Iverson too.   Iverson was 6 ft 165.   The only thing that stopped him from winning the Chip was HIM, His GM,  and Shaq/Kobe.  IF Iverson's Philly team would have faced anybody else but the Lakers, they would have won the chip.   Remember, the Lakers were 12-0 in the playoffs when they played Philly in the Finals.   They won 4-1... 

Iverson was measurably Smaller than Trae.   Played in a more physically demanding NBA.   So your point that the size means he can't win is poppycock.  In fact, had Trae not gotten Hurt, we would have bounced Milwaukee and beaten Phoenix in the finals.  Milwaukee beat us 4-2 and Trae only played in 1 game. 

Your trade requests are stupid Dog.  But I get it.. you don't respect the man that has just matched Magic in 30/10 games... in his 5th year.   Magic played 13 seasons.  In 5 Seasons, Trae caught him.  Right now, Trae is probably already a hall of famer...  and you want to trade him for a pocket knife and some diggum snacks.  Keep that energy. 

Ok Diesel you live by could've, would've should've. 

If Trae had not gotten hurt the Hawks would have run away against Milwaukee because they couldn't adjust and the Hawks would've beaten the Suns because Milwaukee beat them. Nevermind matchups. 

Sure he did something Magic has done. Magic also won a chip in his rookie year. If you wanna talk about speed to getting somewhere in history. He put that team over the hump. Took them back the following year just to make sure it was no fluke. Im sure somewhere Zubac has broken a HOFer record somewhere.