• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Playoff Game Thread: Celtics at Hawks -- GAME 3

lethalweapon3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

With his frame, he is an obvious choice but he has to be matched up against someone else that Horford is going to try to free up to blow up Horford on a screen.  Not sure how that happens.

I bet meth-Bogi could get it done.  Remember how sawft Al is.  Doesn't have to be a big body. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is why I've been encouraging everyone to watch the video box scores at the very least.  You can go back and see play that happen that will either validate or disprove whatever you "thought" you saw.

Too short of clips, you must see the entire possession. Until they post those, you still aren't seeing the entire play. I used to use those before you started sharing them here. When I watched the playback, those cut clips wasn't telling me the full story. Sometimes they showed the entire possession, most of the time, just the action itself. 

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Quin's offense is pretty nice. It was hard to see it in the first two games but it had a lot of actions within the sets. Very similar to what he was doing in Utah. I think we will be getting PDS guys again because Quin really likes everyone getting touches. Remember, Royce O'Neale got 53 touches a season in this scheme. 

You could also make a case that Quin reverted back to what the team was used to running with Nate.  Many more paint and midrange shots taken in Game 3, with us shooting a very high percentage.  Also, we were money with the corner 3, with only Collins missing a corner 3 shot.

image.png.251bad96acc0a46a21f81bf4d069c7dd.png

=

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I bet meth-Bogi could get it done.  Remember how sawft Al is.  Doesn't have to be a big body. 

This is true because our player will be expecting it and Al won't.  Just need someone who is ready to blast through him.  Bey, Hunter, Bogi, JJ, etc. we have plenty of candidates.  

If you are going to move on the screen you have no right to object when someone blasts straight through you when you are entering space that you cannot enter under the rules (i.e., anywhere other than standing still after planting).  Offensive players charge right into moving defenders all the time and get the foul for the same reason.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You could also make a case that Quin reverted back to what the team was used to running with Nate.  Many more paint and midrange shots taken in Game 3, with us shooting a very high percentage.  Also, we were money with the corner 3, with only Collins missing a corner 3 shot.

=

I'd say it was us taking what the defense gave.  Paint touches were probably meant to get open 3s.  Defense didn't oblige, we took the middie.

Eta.  I find it funny how many internet people are saying BOS "decided" not to play defense at all last night + Atl made lucky shots.

Edited by kg01
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Too short of clips, you must see the entire possession. Until they post those, you still aren't seeing the entire play. I used to use those before you started sharing them here. When I watched the playback, those cut clips wasn't telling me the full story. Sometimes they showed the entire possession, most of the time, just the action itself. 

You have to go through everything.  Not just the shots, but also with the rebounds, steals, assists and turnovers. You want to see the action from multiple player vantage points.

Yes, it is most ideal to watch the replay of the game on Bally's, because you can really just watch one or two players, and see all of their movements and actions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'd say it was us taking what the defense gave.  Paint touches were probably meant to get open 3s.  Defense didn't oblige, we took the middie.  

If this is the case, the Celtics are probably going to a zone next game, to keep Trae out of the paint.

Quin can't leave non-shooters in the game when they do this. He must have Bey and Bogi in the game to bust that zone.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You have to go through everything.  Not just the shots, but also with the rebounds, steals, assists and turnovers. You want to see the action from multiple player vantage points.

Yes, it is most ideal to watch the replay of the game on Bally's, because you can really just watch one or two players, and see all of their movements and actions.

That takes a lot of time when you can just watch the game again, stop and rewind to make sure you know what was the ask from that assignment. Even that takes scheme understanding. 

I really like your growth more than anything. We may differ in our answers but I always have respect for where you are coming from and the time you put in 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Diesel said:

I'm going to give the devil his due...

I didn't know that Smart could hit the three like that. 

I don't like him, but I got a little more respeck for him. 

He is the main reason for their improvement. He is now a good point guard who can hit the three.  Add the to his defensive reputation and viola. Still going down though. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

=

What qualifies as midrange here?

I count 28 3pt attempts, 11 shots outside of the paint (i.e., the painted area extending up to the free throw line), and around 29 shots in the paint.  If we are counting jumpers taken in the painted area but closer to the free throw line as midrange then that shifts quite a bit but I think those are much higher % shots than the ones I identified as "outside the paint" above which is what I typically think of as being emphasized by teams that shoot a lot of bad jumpers.  

Using the method I just used for counting, Nate's Hawks had 17 shots outside the paint against Boston which is way more bad 2pt shots.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

He is the main reason for their improvement. He is now a good point guard who can hit the three.  Add the to his defensive reputation and viola. Still going down though. 

You want Smart taking and making those early 3s, cause come the end of a game like you saw, he'll take 3s when he really shouldn't. :laugh1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, kg01 said:

I have no idea why or how people have decided already that Trae can't play for Snyder.  Or that Snyder has decided already to get rid of Trae.  None of that comes across when he talks about Trae.  

Fans just get too emotional sometimes.  Quin isn't stupid.  He knows that he has a future Hall of Fame PG right now.  And we can get Dejounte playing at a high level with Trae, all we have to do is upgrade the front court, and we'll be set.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

=

I am talking plays and actions more than results. Players choose where they will shoot from and be effective from. That's personnel based. This is massively different from Nate's extremely PnR heavy scheme. 

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Fans just get too emotional sometimes.  Quin isn't stupid.  He knows that he has a future Hall of Fame PG right now.  And we can get Dejounte playing at a high level with Trae, all we have to do is upgrade the front court, and we'll be set.

This is a good matchup series for Murray. None of the Boston players are laterally all that quick. They are all physical based and we know Murray loves attacking that style of defense relentlessly. 

Whereas it's more of a challenge for Trae. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Fans are way too emotional. Just depending how they see the game and which players they like or don't like

20 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

He's always been a good PG, he just needed to he more consistent as a shooter. Even though he's not a good shooter, he's fairly reliable. You don't see wild variance swings from Smart and he's more than capable of hitting wide open 3s. Still a struggle hitting open middles for him. Defensively, he's a multi positional menace who makes opposing players grind. That's not a big issue for grinders line Murray but is an issue for flow and rhythm guys like Trae. 

Edited by NBASupes

19 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Eh, I'll live with Smart taking 3s. 

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yep.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1