• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Not my argument.  My argument centers around the previous arguments I had over this subject.  I said back then that JJJ was better than Ayton, Bamba, and Bagley.  Many argued that he was the 4th big among that group.  I was right.  

Yes, he did. He accepted my arguments for Trae at the time. He preferred JJJ over everyone else but was accepting of Trae as the pick.

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

I just read through the cliff notes of the new CBA... There's a lot of non-financial / roster construction and basketball reasons not to be above the second apron now -- can't make trades where you take back more salary, can't use the MLE, can't aggregate players salaries to make a trade, can't sign and trade players, can't send out cash in deals...

On the flip side, it's less punitive financially to be a little bit over the tax.  So after reading that, I wouldn't be surprised if Ressler does dip his toes into the tax for a season or two, but I doubt we'll ever get in the water -- and no team is going to want to be in the deep end for more than a season or two.

Why do want such a punitive, restrictive CBA? Just allow teams to be creative and pro-active in their deal making to improve their roster. Seems like this is just a round about way of keeping salaries down. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Why do want such a punitive, restrictive CBA? Just allow teams to be creative and pro-active in their deal making to improve their roster. Seems like this is just a round about way of keeping salaries down. 

Yep, the number of owners who want to keep costs down is much higher than the few who want to spend to win (primarily Lacob and Ballmer recently, maybe Ishbia too).  The disappointing part of the new incentives, to me, is how the new structure only furthers the massive disparity between the top 1-5% of players and the rest of the players.  Not that this is surprising, as this is reflective of the massive and growing income/wealth inequality in the US.

I would really like to see some teams buck the trend of heavily marketing individual players in favor of marketing the actual team.  Right now, it's a bit of a positive feedback cycle... using the Hawks as an example, we heavily market Trae, now casuals know Trae, they watch highlights of Trae, and Trae's recognition and value becomes higher and higher and so he is rewarded with a super max -- Trae wins.  The team also wins because he's generating revenue, but with the effective hard cap in place, all the other players lose.  A lot of Trae's contract is justified for business reasons and not basketball reasons.  Is he really 3x as valuable as Bogi, on the court, for instance?  We convince ourselves this is the case.

And now we have a new CBA that is nothing changes, will further promote 1-3 max levels players and money dries up for your starter levels players that are not all-stars.  It's the same gutting of the middle class the US has seen over the past 40 years.  Anyways, I'd love to see some teams take an approach of getting value out of players in the $10-30M range that are not on maxes or minimums -- taking advantage of the "standard" approach that doesn't allow teams to afford to retain guys like Eric Gordon or Harrison Barnes type players.  The maxes that are 35% of the cap space are going to be extremely debilitating to roster building under the new CBA.  Teams can't just blow through the luxury floor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, yungsta said:

FYI, It wasn't the same roster. They changed their entire front court rotation outside of Giannis to fit a 5-out Bud style offense.

They got rid of Jabari Parker, Tyler Zeller, Greg Monroe, benched John Henson and replace them with shooters such as Brook Lopez, Nikola Mirotić, and Ersan Ilyasova

They also upgraded their backcourt by replacing the corpse of Jason terry with George Hill.

If we want to mimic Bud's success in Milwuakee and Quin's success in Utah, we need a major upgrade in our shooting which Quin's Jazz and Bud's Bucks consistently were ranked top 5 in three pointers made while last season we finished 23rd.

Didn't even hafta mention mortgaging their future to acquire all star guard Jrue Holiday. 

Bud again departs from a franchise after they've mortgaged their future because of him. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, yungsta said:

FYI, It wasn't the same roster. They changed their entire front court rotation outside of Giannis to fit a 5-out Bud style offense.

They got rid of Jabari Parker, Tyler Zeller, Greg Monroe, benched John Henson and replace them with shooters such as Brook Lopez, Nikola Mirotić, and Ersan Ilyasova

They also upgraded their backcourt by replacing the corpse of Jason terry with George Hill.

If we want to mimic Bud's success in Milwuakee and Quin's success in Utah, we need a major upgrade in our shooting which Quin's Jazz and Bud's Bucks consistently were ranked top 5 in three pointers made while last season we finished 23rd.

5 of the top 6 players in total minutes were exactly same from the 44 win team in the previous season.  Khris Middleton, Giannis, Eric Bledsoe, Malcom Brogdon, and Tony Snell.  The only change in the top 6 in minutes was the addition of Brook Lopez instead of John Henson.  At 7 and 8, they replaced Thon Maker and Jason Terry with Pat Connaughton and Ersan Ilyasova.  

5 minutes ago, warcore said:

Didn't even hafta mention mortgaging their future to acquire all star guard Jrue Holiday. 

Bud again departs from a franchise after they've mortgaged their future because of him. 

They didn't get Jrue until Bud's third season.

4 hours ago, theheroatl said:

So the Raptors prefer not to trade OG and Siakam then WTH are they doing. Masai is the biggest narcissist in the NBA FO's. 

I'm not sure what the Hawks will do, if any big move at all, but between the Raptors being stubborn and the lack of other star power around, it might be tough to get big improvements to our roster any time soon.

It could be this:
Trae
DJM
Hunter
JJ
OO

And I actually kind like that lineup

It could also be Trae/DJ/Bey/Dre/CC.. lol

That's if no more trades are made...

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The owners (at least the significant majority of them) want a hard cap.  The players don't want a hard cap.  So they stick with the soft cap but increase the penalties so the players avoid a hard cap and the owners hope that the system more closely resembles a hard cap in practice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

I do wonder whether Bey or JJ will start.  I could easily see us starting Bey - especially if we keep CC - and then bringing JJ off the bench (in a much larger role than last year).

My thoughts exactly..

JJ may not be ready yet..

23 minutes ago, yungsta said:

Coach bud sucks

• Premium Member

Surprise Landing Spots for NBA's Most Rumored Trade Targets

Paul George to Atlanta

Buzz about Paul George potentially being moved picked up a little steam recently, following an FnA Podcast appearance by veteran NBA reporter Howard Beck, in which he said the eight-time All-Star is "certainly available."

"They're not trying to give him away, but they are trying to pivot, and they do have, I think, a franchise-wide frustration with the way that this era has gone," Beck added.

Lack of availability is a concern with George, and there's a good chance that impacts his trade value, but he could still be a difference-maker for a number of teams.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10080663-surprise-landing-spots-for-nbas-most-rumored-trade-targets

I would offer Capela, Hunter, Gay and the SAC 2024 1st) for PG13 and Zubac
Hawks remain under the tax!
LAC also reduces their Luxury Tax bill further after the Gordon release.
Start OO, Zu the backup.

Trae/Bufkin

DJ/Bogi

PG13/AJ

JJ/Bey

OO/Zu

• Like 4

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Paul George to Atlanta

Buzz about Paul George potentially being moved picked up a little steam recently, following an FnA Podcast appearance by veteran NBA reporter Howard Beck, in which he said the eight-time All-Star is "certainly available."

"They're not trying to give him away, but they are trying to pivot, and they do have, I think, a franchise-wide frustration with the way that this era has gone," Beck added.

Lack of availability is a concern with George, and there's a good chance that impacts his trade value, but he could still be a difference-maker for a number of teams.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10080663-surprise-landing-spots-for-nbas-most-rumored-trade-targets

Start OO, Zu the backup.

Zu been your boy 👦 like DM and D White for a minute. Do it!!! {trying to make a splash 💦:mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Flip this. I got Bey starting. 

And I got a vet backup. Even if it’s DJ Augustin :huh:

Nah.  My guy BenJalen JohnSimmonson gonna open yalls eyes this year. 

Yall gon' be like, "John who?". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Paul George to Atlanta

Start OO, Zu the backup.

Trae/Bufkin

DJ/Bogi

PG13/AJ

JJ/Bey

OO/Zu

Zubac.  Be still Jaybird’s heart.  💜 

• Haha 4