• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

What if Siakam is purposely tanking his trade value by saying he won’t resign with any other team just so Atlanta doesn’t have to pay too much to get him, but secretly he totally plans to sign with ATL?
That would be some 4-D chess. 

This is legitimately a rationale tactic.  If you know your team is going to trade you and you want your next team to be competitive this would not destroy your market but would dampen it.  And you could do it without threatening to hold out under your existing contract.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

If you're basing your opinions on the messaging from his camp right now, you will be flip flopping a lot.  For instance, as soon as Siakam were to be traded here, his messaging would quickly become "I can't wait to play with Trae and DJ -- I can't wait to work with Quin and the coaching staff and come to Atlanta!!" along with other fluff messaging.  Will you then love him?  If that post-trade positive messaging doesn't resonate with you, you shouldn't let the "not gonna re-sign anywhere" messaging resonate.  I wish everyone were straight-forward with their motives and messaging, but unfortunately, the NBA is full of Realpolitik gamesmanship and posturing.

Well put.  I hardly watch the press events because it’s all PR speak that works on simple minded people.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Mikey said:

For those of you wondering why the siakam deal has yet to take place… his agent is weary that Tony will pay siakam when he’s due for an extension. The whole reporting that siakam wants to stay is fully money related. They want the money and they don’t think our ownership group will pay. 

we can’t immediately sign him to his 4 year max and they are scared if things don’t start how they should Tony will balk at the contract. The framework is done involving ATL, Dallas, Toronto 

I'd move on and forget this bs.  

Edited by Vol4ever
Sp
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is a crazy amount of picks.  If I’m Portland, I want most of them 4+ years in the future.

This would be such a one-off move by Miami.  That program thrives off of developing players so all these outgoing picks will be extremely painful down the road.  Of course they've turned second rounders and undrafted players into gems, but that isn't reliable and shouldn't be forecasted.

I believe the Heat have two tradable 1st round draft picks possibly 3 if they change protections on a different trade. They don’t have the mvp of the league on their team but I understand teams looking for the moon. Same as with Siakam I think the teams being talked about the most are the teams that’ll end up making deals but Portland and Toronto are going to hold on to hope as long as they can. I think teams might jump in and snag either of them but I’d put my money on Miam and Atlanta getting their respective guy in the end. 

Vegas has odds on both players next team

Siakam

-155 Toronto 

+200 Atlanta 

+275 Brooklyn

+700 any other team

Lillard

+200 Miam

+550 Philadelphia 

+650 Minnesota 

+750 Toronto 

Vegas usually knows what they’re doing and has the odds in their favor 

Edited by timebomb
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, gurpilo said:

At this point I don't want any trade for Siakam, I don't want him on a Hawks uniform, I don't want any player here that do not want to be here. Specially if we have to give JJ or AJ, no way I send AJ for a 1 year rental of a non all-star PF that fails on playoffs and is going to be creating bad atmosphere on the team.

Ya'll are way too sensitive about all of this.  All of this is simply a negotiating tactic.  No one has heard Siakam himself, nor his agent, say anything about him not wanting to re-sign anywhere.

If he stays in Toronto, he'll be able to get the biggest contract possible. If Toronto wants to get rid of him, they will do it before the season.

And if they get rid of him, it's not like he can go back to Toronto.  He'll either have to sign with the team that currently has him, or sign somewhere else.

People shouldn't feel one way or the other about Siakam.  But I understand that people are frustrated with the rumors.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AHF said:

That is a crazy amount of picks.  If I’m Portland, I want most of them 4+ years in the future.

Miami's incoming draft picks

image.thumb.png.b2e122419598d28fef48997fc89389b0.png

They've used 25 already which makes 24/26 not available for trade.  First they could trade is 27, them 29.  That's the max they have available to trade.

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/how-teams-get-around-the-stepien-rule/#:~:text=Specifically%2C the Stepien Rule requires,teams from trading themselves bare.

Shenanigans can be pulled in current draft years, not future.  That post should be treated as moronic and uninformed. They can't trade 4 future 1sts.

"Specifically, the Stepien Rule requires teams to have at least one future first-rounder in every other draft.

Named after Ted Stepien, formerly of the Cleveland Cavaliers, the rule is to protect teams from trading themselves bare."

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Maybe there is a legit fear that Our Owner is not going to pay him.   

I mean he watched us make JC go out and find a deal.   

He watched us cut salary for two years in a row. 

BUT>>>>

If that's his fear, then it means that he doesn't see himself as being a difference maker. 

When you are a difference maker, you don't have to worry about getting paid, the trucks will line up at your door. 

A cheap owner would be stupid not to resign a difference maker. 

So 

Since he doesn't see himself as a difference maker, I don't either.  I'd rather stand pat and let our young guys try to earn the crown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And if they get rid of him, it's not like he can go back to Toronto.  He'll either have to sign with the team that currently has him, or sign somewhere else.

Exactly.  This whole 'he won't extend with anyone who trades for him'  is such bs and makes no sense.   Guess he's going to leave the league then if he's traded?

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, thecampster said:

Miami's incoming draft picks

image.thumb.png.b2e122419598d28fef48997fc89389b0.png

They've used 25 already which makes 24/26 not available for trade.  First they could trade is 27, them 29.  That's the max they have available to trade.

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/how-teams-get-around-the-stepien-rule/#:~:text=Specifically%2C the Stepien Rule requires,teams from trading themselves bare.

Shenanigans can be pulled in current draft years, not future.  That post should be treated as moronic and uninformed. They can't trade 4 future 1sts.

"Specifically, the Stepien Rule requires teams to have at least one future first-rounder in every other draft.

Named after Ted Stepien, formerly of the Cleveland Cavaliers, the rule is to protect teams from trading themselves bare."

Do you know what the max is for how far a pick can be traded out in the future?  I am guessing it is 7 years from your post but I haven't looked under the new CBA to see where that sits.  (I.e., a team can't trade their 2050 pick today so is 2030 the last pick choronologically that can be offered?)

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, AHF said:

Do you know what the max is for how far a pick can be traded out in the future?  I am guessing it is 7 years from your post but I haven't looked under the new CBA to see where that sits.  (I.e., a team can't trade their 2050 pick today so is 2030 the last pick choronologically that can be offered?)

Still 7, 6 for teams above the apron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3