• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

After the Timberwolves slashing of the Nuggets again last night, no way in hell NO is going to include Jones IMO.  Teams are going to look to replicate this.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

One of my Hawks sources is fairly confident Ingram is coming to Atlanta and we're sending them DJM. Other pieces are involved and we're getting back at least one first rounder. 

Whether I like it or not..on Q. Thanks Soth

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

If we can get Herb by letting NO dump Ingram onto us then it is worth it imo.  Send out something like Murray + capela/hunter + AJ and it's worth it to me.  You don't have to pay Ingram $50M if no one else is willing to pay him $50M.  I'm less concerned about that than some here -- the new cap will be in full effect and teams aren't throwing massive bags at guys that aren't tier 1 stars, and I trust Landry will negotiate down to the most team friendly deal possible IF we want to retain him.  Win/win for both teams imo.  

My biggest contention with BI is the potential contract and I think his reputation is bigger than reality.  But I fully admit he's a really good player.  Only 10 players under the age of 27 in the NBA this year Avg. 20+ pts / 5+ ast / 5+ reb and BI is 1 of those 10.  He's a really good player. 

But I don't really want to pay the Max for him and that seems to be what he wants.  Maybe it won't matter if no one gives it to him, but I could see him coming, playing a year, and then walking if the Hawks won't pay him.  Or the Hawks DO pay him and they have 90M tied up in 2 players.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

One of my Hawks sources is fairly confident Ingram is coming to Atlanta and we're sending them DJM. Other pieces are involved and we're getting back at least one first rounder. 

Shut all your sources down right now and focus on fending on fake a$$ Wolves 🐺 fans.. Soth these fools tryin to bump me outta shotgun!!! F all that.. {poking sticks at them}.. UHHHHH AWAYYYY AWAYYY YOU SAVAGES.. ain’t no more room up in here for y’all…

KG tried to bump me out too! Not @kg01but the x 🐺!!!! Area21 is ATL area foo!!!! Garnett get out!!!!

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

My biggest contention with BI is the potential contract and I think his reputation is bigger than reality.  But I fully admit he's a really good player.  Only 10 players under the age of 27 in the NBA this year Avg. 20+ pts / 5+ ast / 5+ reb and BI is 1 of those 10.  He's a really good player. 

But I don't really want to pay the Max for him and that seems to be what he wants.  Maybe it won't matter if no one gives it to him, but I could see him coming, playing a year, and then walking if the Hawks won't pay him.  Or the Hawks DO pay him and they have 90M tied up in 2 players.  

He really is a very good player and he has a skillset that we need to surround Trae with.  We can't let perfect be the enemy of improvement -- we just gotta take good moves that are available and continue to build something better than what we had yesterday.  People were worried we were going to max two PGs and look at the contract DJ ended up on, only 18% of the cap next year.  The other piece of the equation is who are we sending out?  Getting off Capela would be a huge win in any trade if he's a part of the package. 

Having "small but long" lineups with any combination of Hunter/JJ/Ingram/OO front court if we go that route.  Regardless, those are the types of players you want to surround Trae with.  Switchable lengthy defenders that can all shoot reasonable well, dribble/drive, play in transition, etc.  Add in Herb and it's a no brainer imo even with no draft capital coming back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

He really is a very good player and he has a skillset that we need to surround Trae with.  We can't let perfect be the enemy of improvement -- we just gotta take good moves that are available and continue to build something better than what we had yesterday.  People were worried we were going to max two PGs and look at the contract DJ ended up on, only 18% of the cap next year.  The other piece of the equation is who are we sending out?  Getting off Capela would be a huge win in any trade if he's a part of the package. 

Having "small but long" lineups with any combination of Hunter/JJ/Ingram/OO front court if we go that route.  Regardless, those are the types of players you want to surround Trae with.  Switchable lengthy defenders that can all shoot reasonable well, dribble/drive, play in transition, etc.  Add in Herb and it's a no brainer imo even with no draft capital coming back.

Ingram really isn't a switchable defender.  He's not much of a defender at all, but he particularly struggles with power forwards and smaller, quicker guards.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Shut all your sources down right now and focus on fending on fake a$$ Wolves 🐺 fans.. Soth these fools tryin to bump me outta shotgun!!! F all that.. {poking sticks at them}.. UHHHHH AWAYYYY AWAYYY YOU SAVAGES.. ain’t no more room up in here for y’all…

KG tried to bump me out too! Not @kg01but the x 🐺!!!! Area21 is ATL area foo!!!! Garnett get out!!!!

I didn't try to bump you outta shotgun, but I was definitely tossin' paper wads at yall from the back. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Ingram really isn't a switchable defender.  He's not much of a defender at all, but he particularly struggles with power forwards and smaller, quicker guards.  

Yeah, he's hasn't been great on defense.  I think he has the tools though and believe the coaching staff can get him to be effective.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

If we can get Herb by letting NO dump Ingram onto us then it is worth it imo.  Send out something like Murray + capela/hunter + AJ and it's worth it to me.  You don't have to pay Ingram $50M if no one else is willing to pay him $50M.  I'm less concerned about that than some here -- the new cap will be in full effect and teams aren't throwing massive bags at guys that aren't tier 1 stars, and I trust Landry will negotiate down to the most team friendly deal possible IF we want to retain him.  Win/win for both teams imo.  

In this trade, Herb is the prize for me and Ingram is someone we let walk or S&T for a meh return if he demands too much and needs to be considered that way.  Jones is a value contract and potentially transformational piece for our defense.  

I can be on board with that kind of approach.  The fact that this would give us one year with Ingram to make that decision is a very good thing because I don't think it is at all clear that he and Trae would fit well together but if Ingram comes around to Quin ball and they do fit well then that makes him much more valuable for us.  And if your assumptions about the market keeping him at a price much closer to where he is today play out then that is much more attractive than a $50M deal or something.

I do question whether NO is really ready to "dump" Ingram, though.  I think they will want value back for him as if he is a big prize with one year before UFA left on his deal.

• Like 2

Ingram is less ball dominant than Murray.  Also much longer.  Would need to get a POA defender, unless we really can get Herb Jones.  

I think NAW is a free agent.  Wonder what kind of deal he ends up with.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, deester11 said:

Insiders. What say you? Any truth about the Pels..bs..or hopes up and settle for "we tried?" We gonna get this dude ain't we?

5F5CCB8C-EC98-4892-A54A-C27609168600.gif

In general my rule of thumb would be be very weary of anything that is a rumor right now. It’s frankly just too early 

hawks and pels will have discussions just like they did at the deadline. What they end up settling for idk 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AtLaS said:

After the Timberwolves slashing of the Nuggets again last night, no way in hell NO is going to include Jones IMO.  Teams are going to look to replicate this.  

The whole state of Georgia is rooting for Ant-Man to win it all. 💯💯💯💯

"Should’ve been a Hawk to start, but that’s for another day"

Yeah OO may be a goner.. lmao

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I never understand this sentiment amongst hawks fans. The draft is the one area the hawks have killed it. 

Jc at 19, huerter at 19, jalen at 20, Kobe. They had to draft wings in 2019 and took a project and the ncaa best wing just haven’t panned out to stars. Took the best big in 20 when the pick fell. They never had draft luck but made most of it. The worst pick in recent memory is AJ? Who looked awesome his first season but fell in year 2 and even then we know who Schlenk really wanted 

Agree here.  Picks have value and TS did a superior job with his non-lottery first round picks.  The picks also have value in trade scenarios.

We just have to be realistic about the value of picks coming from playoffs teams in the near term.  Even if unprotected, they don't carry all that much value.  Like if the Knicks had traded us their pick this year that is the #25 pick.  Just look at a historical draft results study to see the average value from a player drafted in that range of the draft and set your expectations appropriately knowing there is obvious variance from there for any given pick.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't see them trading Herb Jones. Think BI and Dyson and one or two first rounders. I believe the source said it was DJM and Capela going to them. The main thrust of the trade is BI for DJM and the rest is just trying to work out value for each player.

The last time we overpaid a FA it ended up with us giving away multiple players.  The last midrange scorer we got did not fit with Trae at all.  This deal would really worry me.  I would root hard for it to succeed but it could be the step before the next big reset for the franchise instead of building block to bigger and better things.  (Think Beal going to Phoenix, Big Dog coming to Atlanta, Russell Westbrook basically everywhere since he left OKC, Carmelo Anthony in New York, etc.)

12 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't see them trading Herb Jones. Think BI and Dyson and one or two first rounders. I believe the source said it was DJM and Capela going to them. The main thrust of the trade is BI for DJM and the rest is just trying to work out value for each player.

Indeed, acquiring one or two first-round picks would be beneficial for facilitating future deals (I have a hunch that OO/Hunter/AJ might be traded this summer too).

@Sothron, I'm pleased to see your Wolves performing well, but I'm curious if they reach the Finals, will they retain the entire roster and pay the luxury tax?