• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Deandre Hunter's silent summers

sillent

I don't know if it's telling that Trae Young didn't mention him as a guy he needs to increase chemistry with during our 1st summer league game.

Meaning I don't know if that means Dre will be traded before the season starts but I do believe that when Dre goes dark (unseen) for the summer that means he's really putting in work.

I've been trying to think of a worthwhile trade for Dre and besides possibly PG 13 (which many are opposed to for age/injury reasons) or Jaylen Brown. I don't see too many pieces that would fit good in his place.

I think if Dre comes back this summer like I believe he will kinda like Jaylen Brown did when he got his handles up and became more consistent we will be looking at Hunter as one of the biggest bargains on our team and possibly that legit 3rd star.

Ironically if we were to replace Dre the best fits may already be on the team to be dynamic SF's on both ends if we play JJ in that position or Mo Gueye is ready.

Either way I think patience is going to be our biggest asset this off season as we continue to grow within and our young players continue to get better.

Hunter has surprised me at many steps of his career and I don't expect much different. As soon as I assume that what we see is his ceiling is of course when he's going to show us not to put him in that box.

I can't wait to see how all of our young players have grown as individuals and what that does as a whole for our team and with a new system in place.

If summer league is any indication there will be a lot more driving, player movement and overall action going on in our games vs standing around and watching the pick and roll and waiting on the corners.

If Hunter's handles come back crisp or improves even remotely close to AJ's and I know his shot should be better than Hunter might end up being a problem for this league that we all thought he could be. I'm still waiting to see him do more on defense but even still he does a lot of things unseen (placing, positioning/angles etc).

Here's to hoping Hunter not being too visual this summer shines a bright light on all the work he put in "in the dark". If so I can truly see this yr as Hunter's break out season and our unexpected trio and team overall doing big things looking the same (as far as players go) but different (as far as overall production).

• Like 4

Dre had a solid season and needs to be sold now. There is some likelihood he regresses and/or gets injured.

He doesn't have the dog factor to take his game to the next level but he is a solid rotation player for years to come.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, sillent said:

I don't know if it's telling that Trae Young didn't mention him as a guy he needs to increase chemistry with during our 1st summer league game.

Meaning I don't know if that means Dre will be traded before the season starts but I do believe that when Dre goes dark (unseen) for the summer that means he's really putting in work.

I've been trying to think of a worthwhile trade for Dre and besides possibly PG 13 (which many are opposed to for age/injury reasons) or Jaylen Brown. I don't see too many pieces that would fit good in his place.

I think if Dre comes back this summer like I believe he will kinda like Jaylen Brown did when he got his handles up and became more consistent we will be looking at Hunter as one of the biggest bargains on our team and possibly that legit 3rd star.

Ironically if we were to replace Dre the best fits may already be on the team to be dynamic SF's on both ends if we play JJ in that position or Mo Gueye is ready.

Either way I think patience is going to be our biggest asset this off season as we continue to grow within and our young players continue to get better.

Hunter has surprised me at many steps of his career and I don't expect much different. As soon as I assume that what we see is his ceiling is of course when he's going to show us not to put him in that box.

I can't wait to see how all of our young players have grown as individuals and what that does as a whole for our team and with a new system in place.

If summer league is any indication there will be a lot more driving, player movement and overall action going on in our games vs standing around and watching the pick and roll and waiting on the corners.

If Hunter's handles come back crisp or improves even remotely close to AJ's and I know his shot should be better than Hunter might end up being a problem for this league that we all thought he could be. I'm still waiting to see him do more on defense but even still he does a lot of things unseen (placing, positioning/angles etc).

Here's to hoping Hunter not being too visual this summer shines a bright light on all the work he put in "in the dark". If so I can truly see this yr as Hunter's break out season and our unexpected trio and team overall doing big things looking the same (as far as players go) but different (as far as overall production).

Careful...You will rail up the Dre haters!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Dre had a solid season and needs to be sold now. There is some likelihood he regresses and/or gets injured.

He doesn't have the dog factor to take his game to the next level but he is a solid rotation player for years to come.

That was my thought on Dre since we drafted him. He's proven me wrong in good ways and bad but I got a feeling if he is who I doubted that he was, that he will prove me right this time.

If he doesn't have a break out yr this yr (barring health) then he is exactly what I thought and what you said. Like I said though Dre has a way of proving me wrong.

• Like 1

If Hunter had handles we may not be saying this is Traes team.

Hunters handles and poor rebounding is literally the only thing holding him back from being an all star Forward (besides the injuries).

For me his handles are so far behind that it drives me crazy . I think he should be dedicating his summers to getting better at everything but especially his handles.

anyways despite my two biggest issues with Hunter he’s a good defender and he CAN lock in. Plus he’s the perfect SF size wing that most teams Im sure would want and that we need….so Hunter definitely need to stay long term until we find a actual good replacement.

• Like 4

@sillent I dig the thread very much. I guess all in all that’s where I am as well. As you mentioned I didn’t particularly hear Trae mention Hunter but remember him mentioning DM, OO, Capela and even possibly JJ but you’re right no Hunter. Odd. 

I honestly believe Hunter works his tail off. Are his workout and basketball related workouts the most efficient in growing his own personal game? Maybe or maybe not. By nature though, he doesn’t seem to have the dog in him. 

Hunter will get better simply through reps and PT as his career moves along but until he tightens up his handles then he’s unable to make many plays for his teammates without causing turnovers. He needs to work on handles and passing.

My key thing with him is his natural robotic movements which don’t align with that of a fluid player. He’s just choppy. His choppiness on D, to me is almost a bit of an advantage, but on offense, he’s slow to release his beautiful shot which is also another issue. He takes a whole lotta time for his windup that’s for sure.

Hoping for the best for Hunt. He seems like a great human being.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Dre. I believe he's had a hard time coming back from those injuries. It might be a mental thing. At one time it appeared his handles got better. Dre is still a bargain at 20 plus million as a wing. He has to get more touches.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

I expect a good year from Hunter this season. If he doesn't add much over the offseason, I'd still expect a better season than last year just cause of the coaching change. Having Quin being able to put him in actual spots on the floor that would suit his scoring profile would make a big difference for him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There are certain things that it is hard to unsee.

I can't unsee this...

Weaknesses: There is not one clear thing that he does elite for the next level … He has offensive versatility but what go to move does he have for the NBA? … Has never shown the ability to take over games offensively … He can shoot the NBA 3pt shot but he has limited attempts and he isn’t a shoot first type player … His ideal position is still a question mark … Not sure if his perimeter handle or passing will allow him to be a high-level SF … Also uncertainty about whether his size and physicality will allow him to be a high-level PF … He is considered a “versatile and possibly elite defender” by many scouts but his steal and block rate is very low for that projection … He looks mechanical at times … For his size, length and agility his rebounding numbers are shockingly low …He is an older Sophomore compared to most , turning 22 later this year …

This is from his draft evaluation.  I think to stay on the floor, he's going to have to be more defensive.   His defense, ultimately is what will keep him on the floor.   However, he will have to play some team defense too.   Also, I think he needs to bulk up and play PF.   He's not a ball handler.   Now that JC is gone, there is space for him and Quin likes a positionless system. 

Contrary to @TheNorthCydeRises I believe that our pace will not be fast under Quin.  This will allow for some PNR ball and PNP ball.  He can become an excellent popper in that offensive set but he needs the bulk to be a good pick setter. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sillent said:

I think some have forgotten about his jump in year two he was having.  Then he injured his knee, injured it again and then had the wrist.  When you combine that with the fact that Nate was his coach, you see the results.  I 100% expect a big jump for him under Quin.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I think some have forgotten about his jump in year two he was having.  Then he injured his knee, injured it again and then had the wrist.  When you combine that with the fact that Nate was his coach, you see the results.  I 100% expect a big jump for him under Quin.  

You’re right.  Run it back with CQS.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Its my fault.  He peaked when I bought his MLK jersey and has been playing worse or injured since. 

On a serious note, if Quin can teach him to make quick decisions off the catch his game will look night and day.  He also needs to fall out of love with those pull up 15-20 footers

• Premium Member

Since he doesn't attack the paint well, he's not only gotta improve his handle, but his strength and touch. It's great that he's an elite midrange shooter, but he needs to be able to get to those spots on the floor better.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Nobody has forgotten....these same vids were posted in the 'Hunter is becoming Marv' thread earlier this year........I'll repeat now, what I said then....I want to see that guy CONSISTENTLY  do these things from 2 years ago, not 1 in 12 games. 

He had a healthy offseason last year so was hoping to see the leap, be in the conversation for 'best at something' lists.

• Like 3

Man, yall can miss me with the same Hunter "can be this or that IF he.....". Been saying this same ish for four years or more and the Hunter apologists say it's not his fault.  Miss me with that.  He can't dribble for crap. Has no killer instinct and looks to just be on the floor most times.  Flame me. I don't care.  It's been time for him to Step up His game.

• Like 2