• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets (7 PM EST) -- The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

In a tale of two decades, the Hornets celebrated their home finale last year by noting their sellout at 17,500-seat Spectrum Center was the most they've had since getting their team back in 2003... a grand sellout total of 16.

EDIT: a couple gamethread OP-related links on the pre-Buzzkill era of 80s Hornets hoops...

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/the-place-went-nuts-an-oral-history-of-the-1988-charlotte-hornets/

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-02-10-sp-2505-story.html

The dust settled on the Frank Ntilikina-Theo Maledon-Edmond Sumner race to back up LaMelo, and the winner is... Ish Smith, scooped up yesterday after the team cut Sumner loose. The Wake Forest product and 2023 NBA champ will not add to his record 13 different NBA employers, as he was with the Hornets for a half-season back in 2022.

Injury sheet as of this morning for the Bugs:

The Hawks' pregame injury sheet is pretty good, with exception to this feller.

~lw3

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Jon Koncak.

😑 

miniature marvel Spud Webb discovered he was out-nickeled and out-dimed by an even shorter kid named Muggsy.

Oh the glory days. 😢 

The prevailing thoughts, in 1989: these Hornets might be a sorry bunch on the floor right now, and that’s okay. So long as they grow, and always fare better, and certainly look better, than their twin NBA expansion franchise birthed in April 1987, the rival newbies hopelessly stuck over in the Western Conference, way down in Florida.

They constructed an awesome team.

Did I mention Zo? Alonzo Mourning spurned Charlotte’s seven-year contract package at the start of 1995-96’s season.

That was Jim Carey fault for making bank for the Mask. I remember Zo wanted Carey 💰 😂 

Miles “Minnesota Fats” Bridges.

I thought that was muscle 🧐 

Where, pray tell, is Spud Webb’s two-hour movie block?

Preeeeeeaaachhhh!

Peace on Earth. Thank You, D’Backs. Let’s Go Hawks!

Yes sir! Great to have you back. Loved and missed the threads!

GO HAWKS!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It'll be about control.  Who controls the pace and who values possessions.  When we fall into helter shelter play vs them, via bad shots and not valuing possessions, they feast on us.  Plain and simple.

When we make them play cerebral basketball, they break down.

Great game-1 test to see where we are in the process of killing our bad habits.  I'm looking for that win or lose. 

I recall us beating them in the playin game a few years ago.   It was just as you said, a lack of helter skelter.  We have to stay disciplined to what Quin has been teaching and looking for the best shots in all situations.   I think the big difference is Brandon Miller.   He's no Cody Martin.   This guy has big time star with cocky attitude written all over him.   He's been talking ish to MJ.    That's a cocky kid. But I believe he's got a skillset that was severely overlooked with all the talk of Wimby and Scoot.    But much like the rest of the team save Rozier, he's prone to do dumb stuff.  That's why this has to be an aggressive game for Hunter.   Hunter has to make this kid play defense.   If Hunter decides to just lay back, this kid is going to feast.   Hunter, Bey, and JJ will have to make this kid work on defense because he's severely foul prone. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I recall us beating them in the playin game a few years ago.   It was just as you said, a lack of helter skelter.  We have to stay disciplined to what Quin has been teaching and looking for the best shots in all situations.   I think the big difference is Brandon Miller.   He's no Cody Martin.   This guy has big time star with cocky attitude written all over him.   He's been talking ish to MJ.    That's a cocky kid. But I believe he's got a skillset that was severely overlooked with all the talk of Wimby and Scoot.    But much like the rest of the team save Rozier, he's prone to do dumb stuff.  That's why this has to be an aggressive game for Hunter.   Hunter has to make this kid play defense.   If Hunter decides to just lay back, this kid is going to feast.   Hunter, Bey, and JJ will have to make this kid work on defense because he's severely foul prone. 

I'm not so high on Miller being an x factor.  But honestly, even if he does get off, I look for Ball and Rozier to negate it with low bbiq play/shots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2k24 is bs @Sothron I lowered the level to all star ⭐️ and they still can’t hit outside shots. 

Plus, I know Gordon Hayward is usually injured and MIA but they literally wouldn’t show him in the game, anytime he had the ball 🏀 I would just see a floating ball bouncing around being controlled by the freakin air or something whacky from the twilight zone or something.

Trae shot like $hit but fishes still there and CC boarded and OO had a well rounded game. DJ was ok.

ps This is a jinx reverse jinx because I fully expect us to beat these dudes tonight.

Vegas spread is -3.5 Hawks

Hawks by 11 is what I have tonight.

IMG_0814.jpeg

IMG_0813.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

IMG_0811.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpeg

• Thanks 1